• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elenah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Houston, Tx
    Hello all,
    I recently got gifted a pretty crappy Chinese SKS that is CAKED in cosmoline. I don't know what the guy who owned it before was thinking.

I've been trying to clean it but the bolt was this ugly orange color and the firing pin only moved after working it with CLP, a mallet, and pliers for an hour. I tried to hammer out the firing pin retainer to no avail, it barely budged and my hands hurt like crazy. I have a bench vise and I don't think I'm THAT weak. I've been watching YouTube videos while I try to clean it and I think my sks is as bad as it gets. I can provide pictures of needed.

Is it important that I get all the cosmoline out? Is slam firing that big of an issue? The firing pin moves in the bolt now with more ease but doesn't drop with gravity.

Thank you!
    Texas SOT

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Is it important that I get all the cosmoline out? Is slam firing that big of an issue? The firing pin moves in the bolt now with more ease but doesn't drop with gravity.

Thank you!
    Yes it is an issue. Heat is your friend here. Hair dryer or a torch of some sort. You don't want it to get red hot though and loose its heat treat. Just hot enough to melt out the cosmo. I've also left all the parts in a bag sitting out in the hot sun for a day. Melted most of it out that way.

Elenah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Houston, Tx
    Gasoline always worked for me when cleaning up Mosins

Haha I feel like cleaning guns with gasoline would be a bad idea.

Yes it is an issue. Heat is your friend here. Hair dryer or a torch of some sort. You don't want it to get red hot though and loose its heat treat. Just hot enough to melt out the cosmo. I've also left all the parts in a bag sitting out in the hot sun for a day. Melted most of it out that way.

I'll try letting it sit in the sun tomorrow, I'm scared to do anything with a heat gun because of my lack of experience and I don't want to ruin it. Would it be a bad idea to just soak the bolt in a dish of CLP?

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    You are about to remove the original packing/preservative!
    That increases the value by.....(nothing, but better check with collectors).
    When I first modified my SKS by removing the 3 pounds of yak fat, did so by scraping a lot of it off, and putting it in an old paint can.
    It's probably still in my garage somewhere,in case I ever sell the rifle, and want to get the premium price for it,
    like sellers on GunBroker get.

Elenah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Houston, Tx
    P.S.
    That yak fat is great for greasing windshield wipers
    (of someone you don't like)

Don't get carb cleaner on the stock...

Carb cleaner seems a little more toxic but I can try. On that note I do have a few enemies with freshly washed cars hmmmm..

Thank you for all the great advice! I might ask my husband to brute force it out of there. He's used his head to dent my frying pan, maybe he can hammer this out too.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Haha I feel like cleaning guns with gasoline would be a bad idea.

I'll try letting it sit in the sun tomorrow, I'm scared to do anything with a heat gun because of my lack of experience and I don't want to ruin it. Would it be a bad idea to just soak the bolt in a dish of CLP?
    A stiff bristle brush and gasoline really is the way to go. Sure good ventilation, no smoking or open flame nearby rubber gloves are all in order.

There is a chance this is a new gun under the cosmoline, that was dipped before it left the factory. A blue no scratch Scotch Bright pad might help.

As hot as it is outside in direct sunlight might loosen some of the external cosmoline, but if it’s been dipped you’re not getting the inside loose. Plenty of newspaper down to add in clean up.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    These parts get hotter by firing them than a heat gun will get it. Let it sit in the sun and get nice and hot, then drop the bolt it into whatever solvent you have laying around. Gas, mineral spirits, clp, brake cleaner, carb cleaner etc...

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Carb cleaner seems a little more toxic but I can try. On that note I do have a few enemies with freshly washed cars hmmmm..

Thank you for all the great advice! I might ask my husband to brute force it out of there. He's used his head to dent my frying pan, maybe he can hammer this out too.

Try brake clean, it dries up fast without leaving a residue and it's not flammable, get it from the auto parts store. Don't get it in your eyes. I'd spray it with brake clean and use an old tooth brush to work it off. Then leave it soaking in Hoppes No.9, keep scrubbing with the tooth brush. Make sure the gas tube and piston are free of the crap too. I had a friend that was shooting one that was still filled with cosmoline, the thing actually cycled but was slow, lol. I'll bet the tool kit and everything is caked in that crap.

Top Bottom