SKS

GeorgeS

Jul 7, 2018
San Antonio
I used kerosene and old t-shirts to clean it. Those used t-shirts were HIGHLY flammable. :boom:;)

deemus

my mama says I'm special
Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2010
DFW
I sat mine out in the sun in August.
Didn't take long to clean after that.
Dang. Genius idea. Wish I had thought of that. I seem to remember buying them mostly in the fall / winter when the weather didn't let me roam around outside.

CodyK

Sep 5, 2019
Houston
Started cleaning mine around 9 am one day. I took it to the range about 4pm. Soaked everything in mineral spirits and used a hair dryer, and the sun, to heat the stock up to get all the cosmoline out. Good thing about it, is you learn the gun pretty quick having to literally disassemble every single part. I remember I was in the garage, and I put the bolt in a vice to take it apart, and knocking that square pin out, and it skipped across the floor. Thought it was gone for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
Feb 13, 2015
Rural Wise County, TX.
I still have one in a box still in cosmoline.(Norinco?)
I look at it every once in a while.
Still just shoot the other Norinco and Yugo 59/66.

Sold a Norinco a few years ago for $300.

satx78247

TGT Addict
Jun 23, 2014
I sat mine out in the sun in August.
Didn't take long to clean after that.
Vaquero,

Fwiw, I once bought a dozen SKS (Chinese) at a SC gun-show LATE on Sunday PM for 45.oo each.

I think that that was the most difficult preservative that I've ever had to remove from any firearm.
(It was a greenish/waxy coating that only strong detergent, degreaser & lots of boiling water would touch.)
Took me over two hours each, over 2 weeks in the evenings..
I wondered thereafter IF the reason for the "cut price" was that the vendor didn't want to expend the time/elbow grease to clean them up for sale.
(CHUCKLE)

Nonetheless, I did make a nice profit on the sales, presuming that I counted my labor as of no value.

yours, satx

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Latest posts