Skynet?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Vec, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Vec

Vec Well-Known

May 8, 2015
    Kerrville Tx
  2. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That is a little unnerving.

3. MikeyJ

MikeyJ Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Tomball
  4. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Noise will always be an issue unless they pioneer anti gravity technology.

Honestly, I think they are hyping up the "thinking" aspect of it. They are still operating within a preprogrammed set of parameters.

I wonder if they registered with the FAA...

And lastly, I wonder how much of a blast it would take from a high powered transmitter to really jack their communication up. Even with frequency hopping tech the band width is usually narrow enough that it can be drowned out with a sting signal, and the more cheaply the hammer is made the more bleed it will have across the bandwidth. They are surely operating off of GPS which though highly illegal, is relatively easy to disrupt.

Seems like a waste of tax money, IMO. Wonder how many billions have been dumped on this project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Saltyag2010

Saltyag2010 TGT Addict

Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    It's stupid. We have soldiers perfectly capable of flying drones. Why take that job from them?

6. kyletxria1911a1

kyletxria1911a1 TGT Addict

May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    index-71.jpg

7. Mikewood

Mikewood Well-Known

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    The problem with existing technology is it relies on people to guide it. A swarm of drones acting as a collective with a common brain is highly effective at overcoming many obstacles. Instead of a cluster of bombs or single big bombs this technology can smart target a tank formation. Done hit the tanks in critical points. Some land and become mines. Or even reactivate when tank support and the medics arrive.
    Because they work as a team they can delay assistance for a considerable time. Imagine a minefield where the mines crawl around and kill people who don't have a transponder while an assault team walks safely thru.

Or a gun smart shells that fly around corners, into hardened bunkers and wait. Not fused or time delay but until they decide to strike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You are talking about adding considerable weight to these machines, none of which overcomes the jamming issue which vehicles could easily be outfitted the the means of doing. Our HMMWVs and other vehicles are already using jammers to disable IEDs.

The propulsion used on quadcopters is extremely inefficient vs other methods. This means adding any kind of payload will require a large increase in the size of the vehicle. Suddenly the "mine field" becomes very noticeable. Add the ability to bore in to the dirt, more weight, larger machine, more obvious.

Like many other things they will spend billions on it and glean a few bits and pieces of tech that will be applied to other areas.

Overall, it's a large waste of tax money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. TheDan

TheDan DEPLORABLE TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Article mentions a video, but no link to it?

10. Mikewood

Mikewood Well-Known

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    It's still in its infancy. What we are looking at is a hand cranked gatteling gun. Not a 20mm Vulcan cannon that it will one day become. Does it waste money? Sure but the potential payoff is tremendous.

What makes this interesting is not their size, payload or effectiveness but that they work together as a group of equals and not master slave. At the moment jamming is an issue. There is no doubt HARM will be used in conjunction with these guys as it is with most other technologies. Maybe a swarm will be outfitted with 5% seeker drones designed to engage transmitters as a first priority. Maybe those special drones get a supervisory command from C&C or maybe they just know. Maybe there are drones for other tasks like Laser drones for air strikes or observation. Maybe they don't bore down into the dirt like a conventional mine. Maybe they rest on the surface recharging solar cells and they activate and a few fly up to strike targets from above.

Imagine this technology applied to mines and torpedoes. A single aircraft could drop a conex box of such devices in a harbor and they could work autonomously to shutdown all significant shipping for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro