• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alanwk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    El Paso, TX
    This message is from Lee.s website. What say you? Agree or not?

If you have the Lee Ultimate or PaceSetter die set with a full length-sizing die, you shouldn't need a small base die. Other manufacturers make small base dies on the premise that semi-autos require cases sized to the minimum allowable case dimension for reliable feeding, but in reality, most semi-autos have chambers cut on the large side for that same purpose. The result is overworked brass and shortened case life. If you have any chambering problems with ammunition that has been sized with a Lee full length sizing die, return the die and a couple fired cases to the factory for free adjustment.
    DK Firearms

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    That's a mighty bold statement, IMHO. Unless they cut all of those sizing dies with new reamers... Just saying. Size some brass fired in an HK rifle or a machine gun, and see how it works out.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have run machine gun fired brass through a Lee sizing die and had zero issues using it in a bolt gun or tight autoloader after.

In very limited situations a SB die is needed but are few and far between. I have always used Lee dies and never seen the need for a SB die.

User error is a way bigger concern than the need for a SB die.

RePete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2020
    God's Country
    FWIW I use SB dies for .223, .260 and .308 and I don't have any problems with brass dying on me from sizing.

For the .260, I use a .308 SB die without the decapping rod and then the .260 die complete.

YMMV.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I don’t use small base dies. I’ve seen some people say they’ve needed them though.

Top Bottom