Smash-and-grab at South Houston shooting range

Discussion in 'Stolen Property & Criminality' started by acorneau, Jan 5, 2017.

1. A.Texas.Yankee

A.Texas.Yankee TGT Addict

Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Commercial alarm procedure is usually different, especially for "high risk" businesses. If business is properly set with alarm monitoring company, alarm would sound instantly (motion sensors would not initiate a delay, but immediately set off alarm), panel would "dial out" to monitoring station, phone call would be made within 60 seconds to primary contact on account (special instructions can be set up to contact police dispatch first before verification, but false alarm fees can be outrageous so it's not always done and some police jurisdictions do not allow this policy), then phone call would be made to police dispatch to notify of alarm, dispatch notifies officer and they respond. Most major alarm companies can accomplish their part within 90 seconds.

Walk in safes to accommodate most gun store inventories are outrageously expensive, as is hiring on site security. Cheaper to pay insurance deductible than invest that kind of moolah, unfortunately.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

2. V-Tach

V-Tach Well-Known Forum Sponsor

Sep 30, 2012
    Rockport
    Our alarm is a no delay alarm and the police are notified before me. We have had 2 false alarms in 10 years. One of the benefits of living in a small town is the response time has been under 2 minutes......but still probably won't catch them in the act....

3. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    I screwed up the alarm at our office last week by hitting the wrong button on the keypad. 30 sec. later an audible alarm went off, 30 sec. later they called the office and asked me for a code word (which I either hadn't been given or forgot), told them my name and they said thanks. They then called the office manager and asked if I should be there and of course, he said yes. Seems a little loose in security to me, but, oh well. Not much to steal in there anyway.

4. scap99

scap99 TGT Addict

Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    South Houston police dept is 4 blocks away.....ballsy.

5. grumper

grumper Well-Known

Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Crap. I liked going to that place too. The owner is a nice guy.

The crazy thing is that range/shop is literally about 200 yards from a police station.

6. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That range has been there a long time. I shot my first CHL qualification there.

7. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That isn't really a feasible solution for most businesses.

8. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Want to know how I know that you have never priced either?

9. Rebel

Rebel TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Aug 20, 2014
    Beat me to it.