• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfsburg

Jul 31, 2011
    san antonio
    Im verry interested in buying a smith and wesson 351c. Does anyone own one or have any expieriance with either model (351c/ 351pd)? Whats your take on it? Likes, dislikes, etc? Would the .22mag be sutable for cc? Its wieght is verry tempting for work and the summer being only 11oz. But in my mind the rimfire .22 mag is, umm.... well rimfire. Any takes on that? Thanks
    Target Sports

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    But in my mind the rimfire .22 mag is, umm.... well rimfire. Any takes on that? Thanks
    I can't answer that. I'm sure there will be people who have used the .22 mag on game or seen the aftermath of its use on humans who will chime in.

I will interject a couple of points, though.

First, I believe it was no less an authority than Bill Jordan, ~50 years ago, who promoted the idea that for those who are exceptionally recoil-shy, a small-frame revolver in .22 mag would provide decent penetration and expansion at arm's length while encouraging practice with cheaper rimfire ammunition. I guess you'll get lots of opinions about whether his opinions from so long ago are still valid.

Second is just a little observation about human behavior. The only firearm my sister consistently carries is one of those 8-shot S&W .22LR J-frames with a DeSantis Clip Grip. She never wears a belt and the thing is so light that it just sits there in her elastic-waisted pants in the right appendix position, all the time. Her primary concern is racoons in the back yard but I have no doubt she could use it well if something more serious were to come up. Actually, when she leaves the house her carry gun is a Glock 17 in one of those purpose-built purses. However, she's disabled and rarely leaves the house. The Glock mostly stays in a drawer but that lightweight .22 is on her, always, even while she sleeps.

I think there's something to be said for a carry gun that you'll always...you know...*carry*. I'd prefer my sis take a different approach but I'm just glad to see her carrying with such perfect consistency. There's something about that lighweight rimfire that appeals to her. If you or someone you care about is of a similar mindset, a 351 might be just peachy.

wolfsburg

Jul 31, 2011
    san antonio
    I could not have asked for a better reply then that one benenglish. Thank you. I was always taught brain over braun and shot placement over power. I would never volunteer to be hit with a 22lr much less a 22mag. there is nothing puny about it. I realy like the gun, its wieght and quality so i think it will be a verry cool and usefull adition to my carry roster. I already own a smith 360 in .357 and a 442 38spl. As you can tell i like j frames. I also like that its so different from my lcp and all the pocket guns that are so popular.

Top Bottom