• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Any of you peeps have any suggestions? The better half and I had BIG Thanksgiving blowouts for years and got tired of it. Starting up again - I've got a turkey I'm going to either roast or fry, but I wanted another smoked one. Size, recipes? Do's and dont's?

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    Sorry but I have not smoked one in 20 years. Second place is do one on the BBQ, split in half for easier and quicker cooking. I like to inject mine for a juicer bird. Using a charcoal grill get some of that smoky flavor in way less time. About 90 minutes for a 20 pounder.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    The real challenge is finding rolling papers that are big enough, and then keeping the thing lit.

weed-cheech-and-chong.gif

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I’m smoking one right now in a Masterbilt stand up. Brine it for six hours before cooking. Rinse that brine. White wine and rosemary in the moisture pot. Stuff the turk with rosemary and thyme. Rub butter under the breast side skin- a whole stick. Rub the outside with a tasty poultry rub if your choice. Stuff it into your smoker and smoke with cherry or apple or pecan. Breast up for 3 hours- breast down until done. 250 degrees until thigh’s at 180. Pull out and love eating it with your family. It’s beautiful in its simplicity.
    Edit- pics forthcoming. It’s about done!!

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I’m smoking one right now in a Masterbilt stand up. Brine it for six hours before cooking. Rinse that brine. White wine and rosemary in the moisture pot. Stuff the turk with rosemary and thyme. Rub butter under the breast side skin- a whole stick. Rub the outside with a tasty poultry rub if your choice. Stuff it into your smoker and smoke with cherry or apple or pecan. Breast up for 3 hours- breast down until done. 250 degrees until thigh’s at 180. Pull out and love eating it with your family. It’s beautiful in its simplicity.
    Edit- pics forthcoming. It’s about done!!
    Boom…

Attachments

• IMG_1714.jpeg
      IMG_1714.jpeg
      367.1 KB · Views: 40
    • IMG_1713.jpeg
      IMG_1713.jpeg
      440.9 KB · Views: 38
    • IMG_1712.jpeg
      IMG_1712.jpeg
      470.6 KB · Views: 40

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    A friend of mine, since passed 3-4 years ago, used to do his in a bullet smoker. Same principal as "beer can chicken." The turkey was always cooked perfectly and the meat was falling off the bone, long before carving time occurred. We had a Thanksgiving feast at his place for well over ten years, and not once was the turkey bad.

Last edited:

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    For a much lighter smoke flavor, try alder wood. It's 70% of the woods we use for everything, including bacon.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    I just pellet smoked the free kroger turkey yesterday. I removed/separated wings, legs then spatchcocked the breast for better smoke. 225 setting and was using B & B brand (very good- HEB/Academy carries) pellet- Post Oak was in the hopper. No brine- forgot salt/pepper even.

Wife made compound butter w rosemary, basil etc and I put some under skin. 225 degrees for about 3 hours: smaller parts done first: to 170 degrees, about 3 hours to finish. Very tasty.

Attachments

• pellet.jpg
      pellet.jpg
      32.5 KB · Views: 31

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I just pellet smoked the free kroger turkey yesterday. I removed/separated wings, legs then spatchcocked the breast for better smoke. 225 setting and was using B & B brand (very good- HEB/Academy carries) pellet- Post Oak was in the hopper. No brine- forgot salt/pepper even.

Wife made compound butter w rosemary, basil etc and I put some under skin. 225 degrees for about 3 hours: smaller parts done first: to 170 degrees, about 3 hours to finish. Very tasty.
    Dammit. Pics or it didn’t happen….

Top Bottom