• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Looking for a snake gun, narrowed it down to these. Cost is not a factor.

Open to other recommendations.

This will be used on my belt as I clear land on my property here in SW Fl. Its never been cleared and its a JUNGLE. The last person that passed thru here was Johnny Weissmuller swinging on a vine looking for Jane. Unlike my ranch back in Texas. where all I had to deal with was Copperheads and in spite of getting bit twice it really no big deal, I never even went to the E Room. Here we have: Coral snakes, Pigmy Rattlers, Timber Rattlers, and Water Mocs. Clearing land is a up-close within 5 ft. I need to slap leather and using 9mm snake shot, shot them before they get me..this snake lineup is E ROOM NOW!

FYI not a NEWBIE here. Grew up on a horse ranch, large lake and no shortage of rattlers and water mocs and my job was fencing and mending fence picking up hay and loading hay in the barn etc snakes were ever-present and I carried a Ruger 9 22 and killed many, learned how to slap leather faster than they would bite...LOL

9mm

1911 frame

< 4” bbl

1). https://www.devildogarms.com/product/dda-1911-dda-350r-bo9m/

2). https://www.colt.com/series/DEFENDER_SERIES

3). https://shopkahrfirearmsgroup.com/firearms/magnum-research-desert-eagle-1911-u-9mm.asp

4). https://www.springfield-armory.com/...-ronin-handguns/1911-ronin-emp-3-9mm-handgun/

5). Write in:

Thanks for your recommendations....
    Texas SOT

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    May I offer the suggestion of a 9mm revolver instead?

The Ruger LCRx comes in 9mm chambering - since you're using snake loads the 9mm is probably a lot more reliable in the revolver than the auto.
    My experience with the LCR is that because it is so light that the plastic cartridge on the shot migrates with recoil and locks the revolver up. If you go the Governor route 410 shells better have hearing protection on as you will be deaf.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Oh, and generally speaking, if you are close enough for snake shot in a pistol to be effective, you are close enough to be bitten in the hand.

Eastern Diamondbacks can grow to 8’ and strike distance is a little over half of that.
    Your shovel would be a more effective tool to both block a bite, and dispatch snake if required with regards to decreasing your chance of taking a bite.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    My First choice was the "Judge' in 45 lc/.410. After handling it I decided it was too bulky for my needs.

I am NOT hunting snakes, I am CLEARNING LAND in a jungle. Palm trees are full of Vines and I pull them down and sometimes a snake comes with it.

As stated I working within inches to < 5 ft with heavy ground cover.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    None of the native Florida snakes that climb are venomous.
    Just a little personal experience with the Judge.( I have told this story a few times) I bought one several years ago because the price was absolutely right. $200 for 6’ stainless 2-3/4 chambered Judge
    Hunting camp later that year, judge is loaded with #6 small game shot.
    A cottontail pops up less than 10 feet from me so I line up a shot, set to single action and fire.
    That is the only time in my life I tracked a rabbit after shooting it. Lost it after following blood and hair sprinkles over 100yards.
    If you need to kill a snake, use a shotgun or a shovel.
    The spread from a 3-6” barreled pistol is so wide you stand a good chance of just wounding it and getting yourself tagged when you move in closer for the follow up shot.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Now, if you are just looking to buy a new gun under the umbrella of “ well, I need a snake gun ;) ) any one of your choices will do about the same.

Or just buy some snake shot for a caliber or two you already own and see how they perform on a cardboard refrigerator box at varying distances first.
    The .44mag/special seems to give you a little more safe distance ( though not much) than the smaller calibers.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A dedicated snake gun? One of the .410 revolvers would be my first pick. If not, then CCI makes shot shells for 45 Colt, 44 Spec/mag, 38 Spec, 45 ACP, 40 S&W, and 9mm. BTW, that is the order in which I would choose for a snake. The 45 Colt being my first pick out of the bunch, though any of the revolver rounds would probably do just fine. The autoloader rounds seemed to be hobbled since they tried to make them in a way where they would actually cycle (more than likely manually). They hold less shot than the revolver rounds, even if they're basically the same caliber.

You can get a SAA repro pretty cheaply in any of the revolver chamberings.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    Tarus publick defender polly. c arries well in a 1791 holster. Get the Tarus long grip.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Sounds like the chainsaw is enough. If it can cut through a tree a snake ain't much of an obstacle. Besides, most snakes are going to move away from the sound and commotion the saw is making. And running the saw, your hands are occupied so pretty much any type of firearm is not going to be easily put into action.

Top Bottom