Join TexasGunTalk

So I went Cowboy Action Shooting.

Discussion in 'Cowboy Action Shooting' started by Texas1911, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Went out to the Agarita Ranch with a friend from work and competed in the long distance portion of the "Ride with Pancho Villa" event.

I shot the following matches:

- Long Distance Single Shot
    - Long Distance Pistol Caliber Lever
    - Long Distance Pistol

The pistol is done at 50 yards on a steel pig. It took me 2 shots to figure out where to hold over on the target, but the last 3 were hits. The lever is 10 shots at a 100 yard steel target, again it took me 3 shots to find the hold over, but once I got it down I put the next 7 on target. Lastly was the single shot, and I used a Sharps .45-70 falling block with Creedmore sights. The first shot at 100 yards rung steel, the 2 shots at 200 yards rung steel, and my 3 shots at 300 yards rung steel, but alas, at 400 yards I missed two of the four shots. The kicker is I did that whilst standing with iron sights. That Sharps makes an AR15 feel like a Mattel toy, but I was amazed at how accurate I can be with simple iron sights at range.

I finished 4th in the long range, and had I actually had some practice time, I might have won. Everything was on the spot training, LOL.

I don't know if I can get into the dressing up part as it still seems a bit pagenty, but it was alot of fun. I think I might get into the GAF (Grand Army of the Frontier) down the road since you are allowed to shoot 1911s and 1903s. I love anything that allows me to go crazy on a bolt action.

For anyone that is interested, let's get together for another one! They are doing events throughout the year.

Here's some pics of my friends shooting:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bert "Wild Hog"

[​IMG]

12# Napoleon cannon. Not every day you get to see a full size cannon get unloaded. At one point two WWI era biplanes flew overhead and they ripped off a FULL load of black powder and damn was that awesome, LOL. Evidently you can actually crew the gun and get certified to fire artillery. That's on my to-do list.

[​IMG]

Roy "Boon Doggle"

[​IMG]

Mack "Elroy Rogers"

Pics are from the PCSS Website, and were taken originally by Major Photography.

I, like a moron, left my battery at home for my camera. :banghead:

2. RetArmySgt

RetArmySgt Glad to be back. TGT Supporter

Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Sounds like some good fun but too bad i dont own any cowboy action allowed weapons, except maybe my 1847 but i have still not been able to get what i need to shoot it.

3. hangtree

hangtree Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Texas
    Looks like you had a lot of fun. Been wanting to try this myself. Have what I need in the way of firearms, just need proper ammo and holsters.

4. TXchoctaw

TXchoctaw Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Euless
    Is it as expensive to get into as I've heard?

I think I would like to try it....as long as it doesn't cost a fortune.

5. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It can be ... I don't think it's any more expensive than any other shooting sport though.

6. Clockwork

Clockwork TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I would think that all the period clothing would add up.

7. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    It's as deep as you make it.

Boots, hat, and a period-correct shirt. Probably be done in a $100 or less.

A good belt and holsters will run you less than a speed rig for IPSC, and probably a hair more than IDPA.

The group doesn't expect you to be fresh out a time machine. There are people that get really into it, but for the most part everyone just makes some effort they can afford.

Certain categories are pickier than others, and your group might vary.

8. robin303

robin303 Well-Known

Feb 10, 2010
    Austin
    Bert was talking to me the other day about that. Glad you guys had fun.

9. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009
    what name did you end up choosing?

10. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Walking Eagle - So full of shit he can't fly!