• ...and so much more!
  • codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    and it turns out I get cell service way up here. I thought I'd share my weekend:

I'm hunting solo on 1500 acres of unmolested woodland hills on the shore of a beautiful lake. This place is only accessible by boat and I'm the only soul around for miles. There are several food plots setup with stands and feeders at each. Lots of hogs and some fantastic whitetail. A short hike (or 4 wheeler ride...) up the mountain and you have a perfect lookout into 3 separate food plots with corn and protein feeders. It's a long shot from up there, but a great workout for the Lapua. Nothing to stress or worry about up here...well except for sasquach...or werewolves...or amazon women...

I'm going to have to do this more often.
    Target Sports

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    How different and how correct method of hunting vs. deer hunting by limited income folks years ago on their deer "leases" 30 feet wide and 100 miles long with fences on both sides. And how different the reason, the old time poachers needed the meat for the table, some latter day folks for the horns. We have them here on the farm but I don't hunt 'em, like to see them out there. See a few before deer hunting season and then they seem inclined to make themselves disappear.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    How different and how correct method of hunting vs. deer hunting by limited income folks years ago on their deer "leases" 30 feet wide and 100 miles long with fences on both sides. And how different the reason, the old time poachers needed the meat for the table, some latter day folks for the horns. We have them here on the farm but I don't hunt 'em, like to see them out there. See a few before deer hunting season and then they seem inclined to make themselves disappear.

I've always been amazed by how smart the deer population is. When I'm backpacking the chisos, the deer will let you get within feet of them, because they aren't hunted. You always see more when they aren't in season where they are hunted. They adapt so well to their predators.

I've always been a hunter for the meat. Probably the reason I get to go on trips like this. The land management aspect really intrigues me. I'm more apt to shoot an old doe or a hog as I like the meat better. Not to say that I don't have some horns around the house, but being willing to use up my either/or tags helping out a land manager on ridding excess antlerless, gives me a free ticket from time to time.

I've always had deep respect for the people that used to do this for survival. Better than asking for a handout in my book.

Top Bottom