• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Fixed it autozones machine was full of shit 3 times....oreillys said my alt was dead.

Original alternator? They probably forgot to flip the switch that automatically fails everything. Ups the sale of replacements.

Autozone alternator? They flipped the switch that automatically passes everything. Cuts down on warranty replacements.

I'm being a bit facetious, but only a little bit.
    Venture Surplus ad

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Original alternator? They probably forgot to flip the switch that automatically fails everything. Ups the sale of replacements.

Autozone alternator? They flipped the switch that automatically passes everything. Cuts down on warranty replacements.

I'm being a bit facetious, but only a little bit.

I watched the screen at both places they showed exactly what it said. wish it would have just said it the first time and saved me the headache.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I watched the screen at both places they showed exactly what it said. wish it would have just said it the first time and saved me the headache.

There's a calibration that the machines are supposed to go through on a regular basis. Most, however, don't calibrate it often, if ever.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Hey Mike, just read your thread, I know you already got it fixed but wanted to let you know.....if you have an Advance Auto Parts store near by, you can find & order your part on line (P/U in store) and you can get a discount. I believe it is usually 10 or 15% off when you pay for it on line.

Glad ya got it figured out Bigun...

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Thanks man I'll keep it in mind. I paid 169 but it has a lifetime warranty...hopefully I won't need it. A rebuilt was 149 but news worth $20

sent from the bathroom

bptactical

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    CO
    A good cheap check for future reference- with the engine idling remove the positive cable. If it dies, alternator pooped the bed.:boom:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    A good cheap check for future reference- with the engine idling remove the positive cable. If it dies, alternator pooped the bed.:boom:

Somebody didn't read the whole thread..............

Cliff's notes:
    Autozone tested the alternator/ good.
    Did that test/ engine died
    O'Rielly's tested the alternator/ bad
    New alternator and truck is fixed

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    The diode pattern was likely bad causing it to charge ac voltage. You still get your static dc voltage but your amperage flow is not there and thus no charge.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I highly recommend testing your alternator on the bench or with the appropriate equipment. Removing the cable while running is a bad idea on anything made after Y2K. Your cars PCM(aka ECM or computer) may get fried if you pull the positive cable while the vehicle is running. The computer uses the batteries DC power to send reference voltage to a lot of sensors on modern fuel injected vehicles.

Top Bottom