So, my doc wants me on a low carb diet because of my heart.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!? THIS IS SAN ANTONIO!!!!!!!! TACOS!!! TACOS EVERYWHERE!!!

but no, seriously, anyone have any tips on a low carb diet? she also prescribed me magnesium supplements. i was told i also need to skip stimulants like caffeine, alcohol, decongestants and drugs. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO HAVE ANY FUN!?!?!?

i have what is called Premature ventricular contraction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

here is a soundbite of my heart (this is my actual heart in action)

Hurley's Gold

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    May we have a moment of silence for our fallen brother...

Now onto the serious.. skip the tacos..take brisk walks that can turn into a light jog later on... for the love of God don't drown your salad in ranch dressing... as far as the decongestants, tough it out. if you need your morning coffee, drink some tea.

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    I lost a good bit of weight, around 40lbs a few years back by going to a low carb high protein diet. I gained it all back over the last 4 years but that's besides the point ha. I stuck with that diet pretty tight for about a year but booze & stupidity broke me off of it.

The first week or so sucks, most people run on carbs, cutting out breads and starches left me with no energy and headaches, I was concerned about weight loss so I'm sure some of that was also due to the caloric intake reduction. Steak and boneless skinless chicken were my go to meals with a side of a green. Eggs at breakfast, occasionally with turkey sausage.

I'm not a body builder that's for damn sure, my old 280lb bench would probably kill me assuming I could get it off the rack now, but this diet http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/docs/2007/gameover_vol2.pdf is low carb oriented and was the basis of what I did and is full of useful info with regards to both weight loss and low carb. I never fussed with the work out plan but I'm sure it's decent as well.

Have fun giving up alcohol that is a bitch and half in itself as well. Sounds really odd but my wife makes a from scratch ginger drink that can taste super strong & spicy, I drink that on occasion when I'm itching for a taste besides tea and water. BTW though, alcohol is a depressant, heart ultimately speeds up and all that good stuff but its a different mechanism than say cocaine or caffeine.

Last edited:

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Paleo diet!

We all have PVC's. some worse than others.

Magnesium is good, so is Potassium. Drink mineral water like Evian to keep your electrolytes up.

Drop the processed foods.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I put myself on this about 4 months ago, been trying to stick to it but my GF can't get it, lol.
    I am down about 25 lbs, but my energy level is low.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    You went to the doctor? First mistake ... ;)

If your being is anything like mine, cutting everything off at one time just won't work.

A co-worker suggested "baby steps" which worked for her. Pick one thing and cut back or out.
    Mine was sodas. Then add sweets to the list of no-no's, then breads/grains, etc, etc, etc ...

It helps keep me on track.

Second is don't beat yourself up when you cheat. Guilt is the first step toward binge.

It happens ... so when you get a hankering for a taco, have a taco ... but just one ...

Last edited:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I did the no-carb/low-carb all protein and veggie diet for eight months. I didn't cheat once. Not a single cookie, the smallest blob of mashed potatoes... I worked out 6 days a week, 2 hours a day and when I was done I looked like Bruce Lee's more massive cousin. I had a TON of energy, way more than when I was eating carbs, and could work out like a machine. I really don't think carbs are necessary. I need to get back on that, looking at pics of myself back then makes me feel like a slob. The thing about cutting out carbs is that it's extremely difficult at first because our bodies crave them. After I had reached a certain point, not only did I not crave them, if I even ate a slice of bread, I could feel fat cells growing in my body. I eventually became repulsed by them... and then my sister took me out to a nice Chinese restaurant - been eating garbage since. I lost my magazine-worthy physique and I feel like a slug. Carbs are evil.

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    Diets have never worked for me... the greatest success... fasting... it'll foul up your heart rhythm so don't try it. Then there's the roller coaster... lose it... gain it... if you totaled the weight I've lost in a lifetime... think tug boat... but it always cries... "I'm back..." I am trying the shred diet and it seems to be doing what it is supposed to as well as "training" me to become comfortable with much more reasonable portions.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    "Eat the burger, throw away the bun". I've been low carb for about 6 years because of Type 2 diabetes. It's not all that bad. You learn to substitute vegetables for potatoes and avoid eating all the junk stuff (potato chips, pretzels, etc.). For snacks, eat nuts. Pistachios are particularly good because it takes forever to open them and eat them. It's the proteins and fats that make you feel full after eating; carbs digest very quickly and leave you feeling hungry. So cutting down carbs won't leave you hungry as you might think. You can eat a cheeseburger, but don't eat the fries. If you want some fries, don't eat the bun on the burger.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    "Eat the burger, throw away the bun". I've been low carb for about 6 years because of Type 2 diabetes. It's not all that bad. You learn to substitute vegetables for potatoes and avoid eating all the junk stuff (potato chips, pretzels, etc.). For snacks, eat nuts. Pistachios are particularly good because it takes forever to open them and eat them. It's the proteins and fats that make you feel full after eating; carbs digest very quickly and leave you feeling hungry. So cutting down carbs won't leave you hungry as you might think. You can eat a cheeseburger, but don't eat the fries. If you want some fries, don't eat the bun on the burger.
    subbing veggies for potatoes isnt that bad for me. my fav veggies are actually steamed broccoli and steamed/pan wilted spinach. the hard part is lunch for work. i guess ill just have to grab salads this week while i plan out how im going to go about this. or do the burgers without the bun thing.

thanks for all the tips. im going to have to research this more and start planning meals out now.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    Paleo diet!

We all have PVC's. some worse than others.

Magnesium is good, so is Potassium. Drink mineral water like Evian to keep your electrolytes up.

Drop the processed foods.
    yep, mine are bad and frequent. although, there is a forum for people with PVC and reading sme of their stories makes me glad i dont have it as bad as them.

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    I have pvc's also, sometimes it's real bad and stays like that for a week, then its gone for a month. When it's bad, I can't get any sleep because it feels like my heart is going to stop beating, then I get a couple fast beats. I just started a new diet this week, hopefully it will help, as well as yours.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I feel for you guys.
    My wife has PVC's at rest, but they go away with just the slightest elevation in heart rate.

Hope you all can get better.

If all else fails, have your thyroid levels checked by a doctor that specializes in bio identical hormones.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    I feel for you guys.
    My wife has PVC's at rest, but they go away with just the slightest elevation in heart rate.

If all else fails, have your thyroid levels checked by a doctor that specializes in bio identical hormones.

had my blood taken yesterday. doc is seeing me again on the 13th and im also having an Echo done right before i see her.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    had my blood taken yesterday. doc is seeing me again on the 13th and im also having an Echo done right before i see her.

Most mainstream docs will tell you that you're in the "normal" range. That only means that you're somewhere between 8 and 80, and still breathing.

If she's says you're normal, get a copy of your results and check it against the ranges published on thyroid support forums.

RandomHero

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2011
    Northwest San Antonio
    maybe this low carb stuff aint to bad. i just made garlic/parm wings at 1am (i keep an odd schedule, bite me). i also found i can eat baconaters from wendys, sans the bun. i did find a "bun" recipe called an "oopsie". it basically cream cheese mixed with egg yolks and you make stiff peaks with the whites and fold together and bake for a "bun".

Ericstac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    TX
    It's not the carbohydrates that y'all really need to be concerned with, its the type and amount you are eating. Your body needs carbs to stay healthy. This zero-low carb, high nasty fatty diet is just flat out wrong.. Baconator? Really? Does that really sound like something good for your body? How about stay away from all the processed garbage and eat clean healthy foods, including carbs. If you are not getting roughly 250g of carbs daily then your body is suffering.

Proteins would be from Chicken breast, eggs, Greek yogurt, fish, a little lean beef.
    Fats would come from almonds, coconut oil, olive oil, avacado.
    Carbs.. Yumm.. Oats, brown rice, veggies, a little dark colored fruit/berries.

Now, I'm not saying don't take your doctors advice but I would at least get a second opinion, or go down and talk to your doctor about a healthier diet.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I feel for you guys.

Bio identical hormones?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    It's not the carbohydrates that y'all really need to be concerned with, its the type and amount you are eating. Your body needs carbs to stay healthy. This zero-low carb, high nasty fatty diet is just flat out wrong.. Baconator? Really? Does that really sound like something good for your body? How about stay away from all the processed garbage and eat clean healthy foods, including carbs. If you are not getting roughly 250g of carbs daily then your body is suffering.
    I know that this is what common sense dictates, but during those carb-free (well, low carb - I drank milk like a baby cow, which has sugar in it) months, I was practically inhuman. Everyone who knew me accused me of taking steroids and I'd never felt better my entire life. It really made me question what we really know about nutrition. I've been lifting weights with my brother since we were 13 and were always pretty much equal in strength and stamina. When I changed to the no/low-carb diet, I could literally do twice the work he could and left him in the dust in a matter of a couple of months. I put on 35 lbs of lean muscle with zero fat gain in about 6 months without the benefit of supplements (just a daily multi-vitamin). Just sayin...

Top Bottom