Venture Surplus ad

So my very first knife is nearing completion... What do y'all think?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LynxIV7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    DFW, TX
    Hi all,

I've just recently over the last couple months started learning under a couple of seasoned knife makers in the DFW area. For my first knife I went with Crucible S30V steel. I decided on a more tactical EDC blade style with a pretty wicked Tanto edge grind.

I haven't decided on what scale material I want to use yet any recommendations? Right now I'm between Muliticam G10 and Carbon Fiber.

I also havent decided on a final finish thinking glass beadblast or cerakote.

Anyway what do y'all think? Also if you have a sweet knife you've done or had made post it up!

Heres the first picture showing the rough grind outline using the stock removal method.
    01-RoughGroundShape.gif

Heres the edge grind prior to heat treat. Pretty much a nightmare grind tanto.
    02-TantoEdgeGrind.gif

Here she is after heat treat.
    03-HeatTreat.gif

More coming soon.
    Guns International

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Looks good. I like carbon fiber with a standard weave pattern for a handle but do what you like. There is only one first so it should be yours.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Also if you have a sweet knife you've done or had made post it up!

Ok, here is one that I've done recently. It's got Iron Wood scales on it. Perfect steak knife for me, everyone knows not to sit where it's laid out at the dinner table, LOL

Second is a blade I got at a LGS and have not decided which direction I want to go with it. Leaning toward a faux ivory with mosaic pins, but just not real sure yet. It's smaller than a traditional bowie blade but should make a pretty good lady sized knife. Just waiting for that perfect picture to pop into my head before I start on it. Don't think it will ever be heavily used, just a wall hanger type of thing.

P2070346.jpg

P8130085.jpg

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    Looks great and I can tell that ain't your first grind :)

The "multicam" g10 isn't. Colors don't match MC, only 3 colors, obviously no pattern.... still, it looks pretty cool.

Here was my first set using the "multicam" g10:

blueawesome.gif

Here is the same G10 in a different pattern on a refurbished BKT Companion:
    bkt1.gif

Beadblast will create big "pores" which will trap water and be more susceptible to rust, but that depends on what you want the knife to do.

Keep it up, looking forward to seeing it finished.

LynxIV7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    DFW, TX
    Thanks all! Amazing work above as well! I love that g10 patterning and @Acera that Damascus is beautiful!

@Stalker19 No I had help on the grind the tip played hell I had to have help with that and straitening up the lines. I'm just a newb in learning as far as all of this goes I just have a couple of great seasoned makers that stand over me to help me learn and show me how its done.

I picked up a bunch of D2, A2, 154CM, and S30V (Benefits of living 2 exits down from Cruicible...) So I have plenty to continue to learn grinds etc. on and can't wait for my next. I'm planning out some small kiridashi tools out of the D2 stock right now.

Can't wait for the day I can own my own 2x72

Let's see some more pics!

LynxIV7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    DFW, TX
    Stlaker do you know how to get the g10 to take a vertibrae sort of pattern? It's like a high ridge line down the center. Almost like the very beginning center ridge in the knife you posted above if that where to follow all the way down but sharper.

I've played with the anzo pattern a bit but havent figured out how to make it look like that yet. I'm assuming there is a technique to it.

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    Those are some very nice knives. I've toyed with the idea of making some knives and about to that time in life where I can make it happen. (Getting real serious about retiring. I've only retired twice now, hope next time it sticks)

Keep posting as those are great motivators!

Brad

stalker19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Mom's basement
    Stlaker do you know how to get the g10 to take a vertibrae sort of pattern? It's like a high ridge line down the center. Almost like the very beginning center ridge in the knife you posted above if that where to follow all the way down but sharper.

I've played with the anzo pattern a bit but havent figured out how to make it look like that yet. I'm assuming there is a technique to it.

Dang you're lucky! Jumpin right in I see. Well, if you can grind on those stainless and tool steels, carbon will be a breeze.

As for G-10 Any tools that will work on wood will work on G10. You're only limited by imagination there.... I have carved simple images, designs and letters in G10. The key with doing that in multicolor is watching your depth to make sure you don't go too deep, so you can maintain one color for the low points, one for the high points. Helps give you a nice contrast.

I like hand tools and prefer the imperfections, sometimes I make things that way intentionally. All the normal machined G10 textures kinda got old to me.

LynxIV7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    DFW, TX
    Lol thanks Hardcase!

@Stalker Ya I've been looking at the bubble jig for sure thanks for the recommendation. Everytime I scroll past your knife I like g10 more lol. I really like the looks of Jantz hollow grind jig to. Basically what I'm wanting to get to is where I can have a run of blanks jetted and then just do the grind work but I have a lot a lot a lot more learning to do. Where I am learning there is a Wilton Box Grinder (Best thing ever) so I'm spoiled... Sadly when I go home I have 1x30 and 4x36 stuff for kydex work....

Today I'm tackling transferring a few knife designs to adobe illustrator and converting to dxg/dxf file format for the jetters. If anyone knows how to do this well I could use some help lol.

In the next few weeks I'm going to take up leather work and sewing and see what I can't do with that. I dont want to become a Jack of many and master of none but everything I try so far just seems to work for me.....

Thanks again all for the kind words. They are truly inspirational!

LynxIV7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    DFW, TX
    Well got the scales mostly done today, finally had some time off. Going to be doing a sweet sheath and working on a couple of other projects tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have time in the next week or so to go over and use the grinder to get the final touches done. Thanks for all of the tips and support fellow forumites!

04-Scales1.gif

04-Scales2.gif

04-Scales3.gif

04-Scales4.gif

Top Bottom