Capitol Armory ad

So Tired of People Bitching About..........

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    At the local 3gun match last weekend, the 300 yard target was very difficult for most people. The 400 and 500 yard targets were next to impossible for the vast majority.

Everyone wants to do "cool guy" stuff, but fewer yet want to get their basic fundamentals in order first. ;)

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Everyone wants to do "cool guy" stuff, but fewer yet want to get their basic fundamentals in order first. ;)

People that are good at cool guy stuff aren't good at it because they do cool guy stuff all the time, they're good at it because they're really good at the basics and can add onto them.

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    And sadly, that is about 1%.

Lol well to be honest, most "cool guy" stuff is pretty impractical in real-world scenarios past 100m anyways. I enjoy firing 300m+ though to practice those basics at longer distances.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The biggest issue about shooting at 600 yards is shooting a clean versus a fouled barrel.

My AR-15's will shoot 4-5 minutes of angle (MOA) low with a clean barrel. One MOA at 600 is approx 6". 5 MOA equals 30" low.

You could tell the newbies on the 600 yard prone firing line. They would fire their sighter rounds with the spotlessly clean rifle shooting impossibly low so they begin to crank in "UP" elevation.

After 3 rounds, they get on the paper but then the barrel is fouled and the rifle begins to shoot impossibly high. Now they're cranking "DOWN" on their sights! By the time they get the rifle on target, they have blown 1/2 of the 20 round first stage!

Here's the correct plan.......Don't come to the 600 yard firing with a clean barrel! If your barrel is clean, then stop at the short range and pop 5 rounds off before the 600 yard match begins. It's a sin to waste 5 rounds of ammo but what I have described is exactly why rounds get loose or over the berm!

Simply put, at 600 yards and a non match situation, you have 2 choices.....
    Shoot your rifle on a short range (five rounds) then bring a seasoned (fouled) barrel to the long range firing line.

OR

Sight in at long range with a clean barrel and clean the barrel at each shot or every two shots. If the barrel fouls during your shot string, your point of impact will change dramatically!

Flash

Last edited:

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    If I can make hits at 600 anyone should be able to, and I need practice lol

I pull left for some reason.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hi Mike!
    The rifle sounds like it's crying for a sling. Our prone matches were from prone and using a sling with no rest. That's off of the elbows! If you're shooting from a rest, the rifle may need some restraint (sling).

Using a bipod, never let the rifle fire in free recoil. It needs a solid shoulder as backup. Also, place the bipod legs on grass or on a rug etc. On a hard surface, the legs will rotate under recoil and change point of impact.

Flash

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Hi Mike!
    The rifle sounds like it's crying for a sling. Our prone matches were from prone and using a sling with no rest. That's off of the elbows! If you're shooting from a rest, the rifle may need some restraint (sling).

Using a bipod, never let the rifle fire in free recoil. It needs a solid shoulder as backup. Also, place the bipod legs on grass or on a rug etc. On a hard surface, the legs will rotate under recoil and change point of impact.

Flash

I've found that when in the prone, applying a gentle forward pressure with your shoulder to work very nicely when using a bipod.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    People that are good at cool guy stuff aren't good at it because they do cool guy stuff all the time, they're good at it because they're really good at the basics and can add onto them.
    I find myself working on the basics more than anything, and not having the confidence to try the "cool guy stuff" lol
    The biggest issue about shooting at 600 yards is shooting a clean versus a fouled barrel.

My AR-15's will shoot 4-5 minutes of angle (MOA) low with a clean barrel. One MOA at 600 is approx 6". 5 MOA equals 30" low.

You could tell the newbies on the 600 yard prone firing line. They would fire their sighter rounds with the spotlessly clean rifle shooting impossibly low so they begin to crank in "UP" elevation.

After 3 rounds, they get on the paper but then the barrel is fouled and the rifle begins to shoot impossibly high. Now they're cranking "DOWN" on their sights! By the time they get the rifle on target, they have blown 1/2 of the 20 round first stage!

Here's the correct plan.......Don't come to the 600 yard firing with a clean barrel! If your barrel is clean, then stop at the short range and pop 5 rounds off before the 600 yard match begins. It's a sin to waste 5 rounds of ammo but what I have described is exactly why rounds get loose or over the berm!

Simply put, at 600 yards and a non match situation, you have 2 choices.....
    Shoot your rifle on a short range (five rounds) then bring a seasoned (fouled) barrel to the long range firing line.

OR

Sight in at long range with a clean barrel and clean the barrel at each shot or every two shots. If the barrel fouls during your shot string, your point of impact will change dramatically!

Flash
    This may be the first time I've heard of a good reason to keep a bore snake on you at the range.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I used the term "fouled barrel" poorly.

Some call a previously fired barrel "seasoned" some may say simply that it's "fired". Fouled in my context is a barrel that has had 5 rounds fired through it. Some of my rifles got squared away at 4 rounds. I just settled on 5 rounds to make certain the barrel was ready for long range shooting.

I hope that I didn't mislead anyone.

Flash

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Hi Mike!

Flash

It could be Im not putting enough pressure into the butt pad. Im loading the bipod but Im staying pretty loose(read on a few sites that's how youre supposed to do it, but I guess not) I need to build something so I can get out and practice.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The bipod works when it's not used with a gorilla grip. One of the other guys correctly said that a small amount of forward pressure on the butt stock is helpful. Try searching for an article I read years ago "Bugholes from Bipods." It's a real good primer on bipod use. I think the title is correct. Check it out!

Flash

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Sounds like my issue is free recoil, and I may be pushing in the right side of the trigger, and that may be kicking the rifle over enough when it recoils to throw me to the left of the target

Last edited:

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I shoot at 100 occasionally but usually just in the zeroing process or the occasional scope test. This weekend I shot at 1000 then dialed down to 400 then 100 and back to 1000, spent the majority of the time pointed at the farther targets.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    I like to bitch about 100 yard ranges that don't allow me to shoot pistols.

I've recently acquired the below pistol and plan on using it for bench shooting - my LGS, at which I have a shooting membership, has quite a few pistol lanes that go out to 25 yds and a number of rifle lanes that go to 100 yds (it's quite impossible to use the front shelves of the pistol range for "bench shooting")

their policy is "no pistols on the rifle range" so I can't shoot the Rebel there - I don't understand the "why not" of it, but it's the policy so I don't get upset

there's also a local outdoor range which I believe will allow me to shoot the pistol at distances out to 100 yds - I simply want to see what my and the pistol's capabilities are between 25 and 100 yds

my BIL, a LEO, has access to a private shooting club (at which I've shot before) where I can shoot anything I want (pistols, rifles, shotguns) but it's a 6 hour drive to the West of San Antonio.....

the .22cal Rebel

rebel_zps37acabf4.jpg

Top Bottom