• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Allen (Dallas), TX
    We were talking about this at the gun show today.... as far as I know, no law that states that ammo must be concealed. So why bother hiding your extra magazines and ammo when you conceal carry your weapon?

Discuss
    Gun Zone Deals

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I used to carry a magazine in a knife pouch on my belt. It had a snap cover and was the perfect size. I actually bought the $10 knife just for the pouch... These days I'm carrying a much bigger pistol and just throw a reload in my pocket.

GI-John

Hurry up and wait!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX
    A good topic. I think one of the main reasons is for just plain concealment. If I see that you have a loaded magazine... what else might you be carrying?

Another valid point is that if your going through the motions to get a suitable belt and holster... why not for the mags as well.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    If you are going to conceal your weapon, why would you NOT conceal other things that advertise that you are carrying that handgun?

I don't wear tactical vests, firearm clothing, etc., either. I prefer to LOOK like just another of the sheeple.

Discretion.......

MikeN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Allen (Dallas), TX
    hehe... that's just it. Would most not do this as part of the argument for not open carrying? Of course, that's a non-issue for us, but still.

I sometimes wish that the NRA or TSRA would set a date and say, everyone please day carry a long gun. Since we can legally do it, most of us wouldn't even get hassled if even 10% of us actually carried on that day

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    Well. I would think that it is obvious.

The purpose of CCW it to conceal the weapon. No one knows or suspects you are armed.
    If you gun is hidden but your extra mags are hanging out in the wide open spaces that tells everyone that you have a gun on you.
    Why are you carrying mags if you have no gun to use them in?
    If the mags are exposed your CCW may as well be exposed as well in my opinion.
    If open carry is legal in your area, fine. Otherwise I would expect it to be a problem.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    Your unarmed appearance is a tactical advantage. I have seen big guys get the $hit slapped out of them when they bullied a "wimp". One of the many famous Heinlein quotes I always liked is:
    Never threaten a little man, he'll kill you. I like to appear the little wimp. (okay I know I left myself wide open on that one, come and get some)

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Your unarmed appearance is a tactical advantage. I have seen big guys get the $hit slapped out of them when they bullied a "wimp". One of the many famous Heinlein quotes I always liked is:
    Never threaten a little man, he'll kill you. I like to appear the little wimp. (okay I know I left myself wide open on that one, come and get some)

Your taking the fun out of it.

: (

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    There's lots of wallet holsters that pack 'em in for you but I agree I mean yes the advantage is on the person who conceals... but theoretically it is perfectly legal for someone to carry their mags in plain view... i would but I think the short mags for my colt mustang would give people the wrong impression and they'd still try something... jmo

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Just bought an amazing IWB mag case for two of my colt mustang magazines at the Mesquite gun show today and I love it... Definitely will not have an excuse not to carry two extra mags...

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    If I am concealing my firearm in the grocery store or other places around town (I always carry so that is ALWAYS), I tend to remove all evidence that I might be carrying like the uber cool LaRue Tactical or Glock hat. I don't work that way.

Let me shed some light for you regular folks on how the sheep think.
    1-They see your magazines, then they finally use their fingers and toes to put two and two together and figure out you are carrying.

2-They look hard and search for anything that resembles the outline of a piece of plastic or metal to represents your pistol.

3-They then immediately call 9-1-1 and scream how terrified they are.

4-The police show up and you try to tell them how you did not display your handgun in any way and they will undoubtedly ask you, "then how did Mr Scared Chitless Tofueater figure out you were carrying a handgun"?

Just something to think about.

If you are concealing, then CONCEAL anything to show that you may carry.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    If I am concealing my firearm in the grocery store or other places around town (I always carry so that is ALWAYS), I tend to remove all evidence that I might be carrying like the uber cool LaRue Tactical or Glock hat. I don't work that way.

Let me shed some light for you regular folks on how the sheep think.
    1-They see your magazines, then they finally use their fingers and toes to put two and two together and figure out you are carrying.

2-They look hard and search for anything that resembles the outline of a piece of plastic or metal to represents your pistol.

3-They then immediately call 9-1-1 and scream how terrified they are.

4-The police show up and you try to tell them how you did not display your handgun in any way and they will undoubtedly ask you, "then how did Mr Scared Chitless Tofueater figure out you were carrying a handgun"?

Just something to think about.

If you are concealing, then CONCEAL anything to show that you may carry.

Definitely great for the thinking... I also love your signature quote...

Bigfoot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Merkel
    Don't remember anything illegal about it...but if a LEO sees your magazine, he's going to do his damdest to find your weapon and get you on a violation. If he doesn't see the mag, he probably won't give you a second glance.

DRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    My glock is concealed for two reasons.
    To comply with my states laws so that I CAN carry it.
    And, to provide the small tactical advantage of surprise.
    A magazine hanging on my belt is sort of a give a way and nixes any advantage I may have.
    I found a camoflage knife sheath, similar to a leatherman sheath at Gander Mtn for four dollars and it holds Glock 19 magazines like a glove. It velcros closed and mounts horizontally. I love it.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Don't remember anything illegal about it...but if a LEO sees your magazine, he's going to do his damdest to find your weapon and get you on a violation.
    What violation would that be, and what reason would he have to "find your weapon"?

Do you people really go about your lives hiding from the police?

Top Bottom