• ...and so much more!
  • MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Bought the solar generator last fall, and a set of 2 extra 100w panels; it all sat in a cabinet until yesterday when I finally got up the gumption to make sure it would do what I needed. The big thing for me - is to have a fan blowing ALL NIGHT for sleeping - and if that's all this enabled, good enough. :)

Yesterday morning - I plugged in a cheapo floor box fan, it pulled 65w on hi, and let it run for 10 hours. It drew the gen down to 60%. YAY ! Next thing to know, then, was how fast would it recharge using the panels - so this morning I set everything up outside, and just finished the test. Results below:

Four 100w panels, 15' of plug&play wiring on each
    SolarTest3.jpg

Very happy with this Gen; LiFePo4 batt, 2 solar charging intakes, pass-through
    capability. Don't recall exactly the cost...$1400 comes to mind. Worth every penny.
    SolarTest1.jpg

The 400w of panels are prob 80-85% efficiency - so I was really happy to see the
    322w coming in. The sky was mostly sunny, with the usual east TX clouds now and then.
    SolarTest2.jpg

Ok - here are the readings:
    Time - percent charge.
    10:30 - 60%
    11:30 - 73%
    12:00 - 80%
    1:15 - 94% (see pic above)
    1:55 - 100%

If you wanna know any other specs on it, ask away - and I'll dig out the booklet.
    Ordered it direct from the company - I don't do Scamazon.

Last edited:

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    This was bought to run a fan?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer:
    I come from snow country that averages 40% humidity.
    Our A/C runs 24/7 at 65 or below, 60 at night, year round.
    If I'm hot & sweating, I don't sleep. Been that way my whole life.
    Air blowing on me will hopefully allow some sleep/relief.
    If I don't sleep - hell will arise at TenOaks the likes of which even God has not seen.

We'll also use it for other things, if/when needed, as long as the available charge remains enough for an overnight fan.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Our power averages short term outages 2-4 times a year.
    I won't fire up the generator if I know it will be a short term outage.

I bought this about 10 years ago.
    Uses the same batteries as the drill and spotlight I've got.
    It runs about 6 hours per battery, which I have 4.
    Even the low speed puts out alot of airflow.

20230517_144458.jpg

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Seems it would have been better to buy a $350 gas powered generator, or MP's suggestion.

But I am on the frugal side.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Seems it would have been better to buy a $350 gas powered generator, or MP's suggestion.

But I am on the frugal side.
    There's lots of better ideas... until there's no more gas/diesel/propane available.

We have big dual/fuel back up gens - but no reason to run them, or even a small one, outside all night, just for this.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Our power averages short term outages 2-4 times a year.
    I won't fire up the generator if I know it will be a short term outage.

I bought this about 10 years ago.
    Uses the same batteries as the drill and spotlight I've got.
    It runs about 6 hours per battery, which I have 4.
    Even the low speed puts out alot of airflow.

View attachment 388085

Our collection of battery powered devices seem to grow monthly, lol.

There have been a few power outages here, in the last 14months; longest one was 6hrs and that's not a problem; first thing I did after we got this place was prep it for long-term power outages... and so far there's been no reason to fire up the gens at all. That said - a friend two miles from here was out of power for 3 weeks during the ice storm two years ago. Lots of trees around the wires out here.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Bought the solar generator last fall, and a set of 2 extra 100w panels; it all sat in a cabinet until yesterday when I finally got up the gumption to make sure it would do what I needed. The big thing for me - is to have a fan blowing ALL NIGHT for sleeping - and if that's all this enabled, good enough. :)

Yesterday morning - I plugged in a cheapo floor box fan, it pulled 65w on hi, and let it run for 10 hours. It drew the gen down to 60%. YAY ! Next thing to know, then, was how fast would it recharge using the panels - so this morning I set everything up outside, and just finished the test. Results below:

Four 100w panels, 15' of plug&play wiring on each
    View attachment 388082

Very happy with this Gen; LiFePo4 batt, 2 solar charging intakes, pass-through
    capability. Don't recall exactly the cost...$1400 comes to mind. Worth every penny.
    View attachment 388081

The 400w of panels are prob 80-85% efficiency - so I was really happy to see the
    322w coming in. The sky was mostly sunny, with the usual east TX clouds now and then.
    View attachment 388083

Ok - here are the readings:
    Time - percent charge.
    10:30 - 60%
    11:30 - 73%
    12:00 - 80%
    1:15 - 94% (see pic above)
    1:55 - 100%

If you wanna know any other specs on it, ask away - and I'll dig out the booklet.
    Ordered it direct from the company - I don't do Scamazon.
    I was at first going to buy the more expensive soft panels at first, but then remembered that the harsh sun in these parts could take it's toll.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I was at first going to buy the more expensive soft panels at first, but then remembered that the harsh sun in these parts could take it's toll.
    Something to consider, for sure. Not sure of the sun's harshness here, like out where you are, but hopefully these will hold up. They came with the gen in a special price package deal so we'll see. What I'd like to do is put up a permanent array but with wind/hail potential.. yeah.. I need to research that more. The panels I had on the mountain were angled enough even the snow slid off; down here they'd probably have to be about flat, lol. Much to learn still - but at least I'll be able to sleep now. Fingers crossed.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    MG & ER, Have you thought about testing the charging capability of your units missing one solar strip, then two, etc. just to verify?
    I did today, yes. Had my guy shadow block the bottom panel of one strip so I could watch the readout - it dropped 50watts, then a damn cloud came across and the whole thing tanked LOL. By the time the sun came back out strong - he'd wandered off so I didn't get the chance to see what multiple strip blocking would do. Next time.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Hey - since it's my thread I can go off topic, lol

I want to add some fixed panels. They'll be low ground mounted (access and wind), and I haven't sized the system yet, or even decided what all I want to do here. But I really need to figure out something first - before moving forward on it - and that is this: Because they'll be at such a low angle... what about hail? On the mountain, my array was at 60* and even the snow would slide off. But here? Isn't 10-15* the optimal? I know y'all with roof mounted systems are constrained by that (to a point), and yeah, I get that (maybe) your Insurance covers hail damage.. but I'd like to avoid having to go that route if possible.

All thoughts would be very welcome on this. If I cant get the hail thing figured out... it'll likely not happen and I'd sure like it to happen. Thanks -

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX

I want to add some fixed panels. They'll be low ground mounted (access and wind), and I haven't sized the system yet, or even decided what all I want to do here. But I really need to figure out something first - before moving forward on it - and that is this: Because they'll be at such a low angle... what about hail? On the mountain, my array was at 60* and even the snow would slide off. But here? Isn't 10-15* the optimal? I know y'all with roof mounted systems are constrained by that (to a point), and yeah, I get that (maybe) your Insurance covers hail damage.. but I'd like to avoid having to go that route if possible.

All thoughts would be very welcome on this. If I cant get the hail thing figured out... it'll likely not happen and I'd sure like it to happen. Thanks -
    I had some golf ball hail hit my house that put some decent dents in my car, but did nothing at all to my solar panels on my roof.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Should be software out there to figure the optimum angle for you. Possibly free on some website.

Ingramite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2017
    Hill Country
    MG, thanks for reporting out on this.

What I know about SOLAR could be inscribed on the head of a pin.
    Good to see the practical Charge / Discharge rate. It helps to get my head around a set up before I get out the pitchfork and bale of money.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Should be software out there to figure the optimum angle for you. Possibly free on some website.
    Got it, thanks - and it's latitude (30* here) plus 15* in the winter, and minus 15* for summer... which puts optimal ranges between 45* in the winter and 15* in the summer.

Because I'd want the most output in the summer, the panels would be closer to 15* - which is pretty flat for hail aversion. Hmmm....

Top Bottom