• ...and so much more!
  • Jim Lahey

Zor!
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2022
    Edgewood Tx
    Ima have to set up a hunt, hopefully this time they dont have worms, i wanna eat one of these hogs lol. Does anyone have like a checklist for checking if a hog is safe to eat. I will be smoking most of the meat’s harvested.
    Hurley's Gold

Attachments

• DE512416-9612-480B-9074-9509CFB8AF30.jpeg
      DE512416-9612-480B-9074-9509CFB8AF30.jpeg
      66.9 KB · Views: 73

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Ima have to set up a hunt, hopefully this time they dont have worms, i wanna eat one of these hogs lol. Does anyone have like a checklist for checking if a hog is safe to eat. I will be smoking most of the meat’s harvested.
    Really to hot to wanna mess with a hog right now IMHO. Depending on your knife skills pulling the backstops & leaving the rest is doable. Bigger aint better for eating. If you do it go strain on ice or the smoker. Brining it not a bad idea.

Personally I can't go out to check the mail without getting ate up with chiggers right now. Feral hogs have a high probability of lithe chiggers fleas & ticks

If you never processed a hog watch some videos, as they are a lot of work.

Right now drop & rot is the way to roll.

gasgas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    S Texas
    Really best to shoot hogs for the buzzards and coyotes to eat and go to your local market and buy a half of pig. Some have a special for half of pig package
    I have known several people get sick from wild pig

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Really is a little hot to be messing with quartering feral pig unless you are very fast and good with your knives.

Just shoot them and leave them when it is hot. You will get less lice , fleas etc on you if you shoot them when it is cold and leave them on the ground for 10-15 minutes.

Don’t worry about hurting the population. For every one you kill, 23 are born and of that 23 that are born 37 of them survive

Last edited:

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Also carry brucellosis. Wear gloves.

Well, they certainly can. They can carry a lot of things. Then again, pretty much 80% of what they carry, deer carry. There isn't a vertebrate species alive that doesn't carry parasites and diseases.

The only people I have known to get sick from eating feral hogs are the people that didn't fully cook their meat.

The only people I have know to get sick from eating deer meat are people that didn't fully cook their meat.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Common to feral hogs, all of these wonderful internal pathogens, and parasites: leptospirosis, toxoplasmosis, brucellosis, tularemia, swine influenza, salmonella, hepatitis, pathogenic E. coli, coccidiosis, brachyspira hyodysenteria, roundworms, kidneyworms, lungworms, stomachworms, whipworms, liver flukes, and trichinosis.

This is not an exhaustive list. Quite a few more on the suspect list but not as well documented at this time.

It is fairly simple to eliminate most risk. Wear gloves when cleaning/butchering, and any time you are handling raw pork. Same for any wild game. Cook properly.

Last edited:

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wild pig makes some good Mexican meat. Just gotta cook it thoroughly. I Had some this winter on a hunt, and it made really good quesadillas. I'm not real big on it, but it is a nice option to know you can go out and put food on the table with it.

Wild hogs are nasty critters. But hell, so is the store-bought meat that is full of antibiotics, steroids and all the other stuff they pump into livestock. At least wild hog you know where it came from and it's all natural.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Critters on critters - reminds me of something that happened back when I first started a real job. We had a guy who kinda thought the world revolved around him. Back at that time, it was common for vendors to take us on hunting trips. He got invited and went, but he planned to leave early because he had a hot date or something. Anyway, the only thing he saw the day he hunted was some javelina, so he shot a boar with the idea of having it mounted. He put some newspapers in the back seat of his car and set the javelina on top of it and headed out. At some point he happened to glance in the back seat and he saw so much movement that he thought that the javelina was still alive. He slammed on the brakes and jumped out of the car, then got his rifle out of the trunk and cautiously opened the back door. What happened was that the javelina body had cooled down and so all the thousands of ticks and lice and other critters stuck to it were climbing out in search of new feeding grounds, and it made the hair all over the animal move. He pulled it out of the car and dumped it on the side of the road, then bought a bunch of bug spray at the next town and "bombed" his car to get rid of the escapees.

As for "all natural", the hogs on the last hunting lease I was on had about an inch of fat on them from eating up the tons of corn we put out. Deer corn has all sorts of warning labels on it because it has all the GMO designs that health experts warn about. That wouldn't warn me off, but just pointing out that it's there.

Also, be sure you have a good knife. A cheap knife can dull quickly on those tough hided critters.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Wait until it gets cold before harvesting pig meat...as has been repeated, and repeated...

I will kill a wild hog year round. Coyotes, and even other pigs will eat them. But I will only take meat to eat from one after the first hard freeze.

Shoot as many as you can, and leave them laying till the weather gets cold.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    As for "all natural", the hogs on the last hunting lease I was on had about an inch of fat on them from eating up the tons of corn we put out. Deer corn has all sorts of warning labels on it because it has all the GMO designs that health experts warn about. That wouldn't warn me off, but just pointing out that it's there.
    I didn't consider that...

Jim Lahey

Zor!
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2022
    Edgewood Tx
    Really to hot to wanna mess with a hog right now IMHO. Depending on your knife skills pulling the backstops & leaving the rest is doable. Bigger aint better for eating. If you do it go strain on ice or the smoker. Brining it not a bad idea.

Personally I can't go out to check the mail without getting ate up with chiggers right now. Feral hogs have a high probability of lithe chiggers fleas & ticks

If you never processed a hog watch some videos, as they are a lot of work.

Right now drop & rot is the way to roll.
    i watched a few videos, i like this guy from florida and how he explains it and cleans them

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    That's hard money precessing it on the ground. I can't believe they have no picnic table or saw horses with a sheet of plywood. I will give him credit for having a real meat block.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    The only part of vermin you want to save is what ever is required for any bounty if any. Otherwise just let them lay where they fall. They will be gone in no time.

Wild hogs in Texas are essentially vermin. If I were to hunt tgem for meat I would be very particular of which I picked and time of year and may even have a processor picked out to do it right.

Top Bottom