DK Firearms

Some problems with reloading my 9 mm luger.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I just changed powders from 700X IMR (4.2 grains) to bullseye (3.8 grains). I'm using plated bullets, so I've been having very low charges.

I loaded about 300 rounds and I noticed several rounds (probably 5-10%) of the bullets fell back in the case.

Is it my sizing die? Too much on the expander die? Seating die?

I usually don't crimp them at all, but I ran these bullets and put a mild crimp, but it didn't seem to solve the problem.
    Guns International

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Could be caused by any one of those things.
    1st start with the expander - just enough the bullet will BARELY start.
    The 9mm does not crimp but is held by a tapper.
    If you over expand and don't have enough tapper crimp the bullet will not stay seated.
    If the expander is OK then add more tapper to the crimping process.
    If this is brass that's been shot several times then it may require a few more tuns of the crimping die.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I agree with mad. an assortment of those things but if the bullet will just hold in the case mouth and then you touch it or w/e and the bullet pushes back I would say yes over belling and to little tapper. If you have a seating die alone use that then tapper last. This is also very helpful if you are shooting lead bullets. But if you use a tapper and seater just screw in the tapper a little further and back off the seater rod.

and from my own experience i have had issues with 9mm in my springfield xd 9..it requires a deep seating, and a lot of tapper for the gun to cycle the ammo smoothly by hand. My friends and I all shoot variants of 9mm guns (hk, glock, walther p99) They all loaded the same rounds(same primer, same brass, seating depth) and their guns all loved them. Put them in my gun and the slide would not go all the way into battery most of the time and then if it did and you fired it would not cycle correctly. This is when i started changing my personal loads. I would have loaded to my gun from the begging but they basically coppied Winchester 9mm white box fmj! which my gun has never once ftf or failed to cycle with. I guess those professional bullet machines and winchester factories just do a better job than me :)

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    Agreed. I load a lot of 9mm and I had the same experience initially. Bell the inside of the case mouth only about .010 more than the diameter of the bullet you are seating, no more is required. Then when the bullet is seated to the right OAL, move the seating plug upward about one full turn and then adjust the seating die to TAPER CRIMP just a tad more. You can probably look at the case and tell when you have too much taper. Then when you have it right, run the seating plug back down to just touch the bullet and tighten. Should work fine.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I only recently began reloading 9mm Luger ammo, I bought Lee carbide dies so I wouldn't have to lube cases and for longer life of the dies. The carbide factory crimp die when adjusted per the instructions in the box has prevented any problems of my
    bullets loose in the case and all ammo feeds, chambers, and fires in both my P-38, PF9, and Taurus P99 including 115 gr. jacketed hollowpoints.

I normally load 5 gr. Bullseye powder behind 115 gr. jacketed round nose bullets and
    CCI small pistol primers, wish I could be of service but out in the sticks in Comanche County, TX.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    The problem is that some 9mm brass is thicker than others, this has been a problem for years. you need to find a smaller expander ball for your resize die. i have not had that problrm with the dies in my Dillon SDB, but I have read where that could be a problem with others. Either check with the manufacturer of your dies or thke some emory paper and polish the ball down a couple of thousandts will do it.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm using a Dillon 550b. I just didn't have this issue before. I'll make sure and be extra carefull with the expander die next time I'm up there.

I might also separate by head stamp. I got 1k of mixed brass, which I think might have been a mistake. 9mm isn't that expensive that I can just buy a few boxes of WWB and reload it. . . it'd be like paying 10 cents / piece of brass (I got my reloads down to about 11-12 cents and it costs about 22 cents at the store.

Top Bottom