Not where you are
    Spam.
    Something
    Posing
    As
    Meat
    We grew up with it.
    Still have it occasionally.
    I keep several cans at the land cuz it is easy transport and easy to whip up.

Funny some say they love hotdogs but wont touch spam.

Ever see what goes in a hotdog if you did you would choose spam.

I can handle both however neither is my first choice when options are available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Funny some say they love hotdogs but wont touch spam.

Ever see what goes in a hotdog if you did you would choose spam.
    Pretty much all processed foods are crap! Expectable amounts of dead insect & rat shit in grains. McDonald's burgers & fries that do not mold mildew or get dried out & hard. Shit you can't pronounce in everything. Processed chicken running thru a chlorinated bath to kill e coli. Color added to farmed raise fish. What about all the frozen fish made on chicom fish factory boats? It's no wonder we are fat & sick.

And then theres what medicines are made from!

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    If you ever run out of SPAM recipes, look up "SPAM Musubi". A delicacy in Hawaii, I am told.
    I made it for my girls years ago and they loved it. Kind of like SPAM meets sushi...
    ETA: well, dang, got me looking at the recipes all over. Here is SPAM's own version, which is considerably easier than the one I prepared. One note: when I made it, I sandwiched the SPAM between two layers of rice; most of these show it one top of ONE layer. Also, I used a wide strip of nori around the whole mess.

Last edited:

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    SPAM growing up since we were poor though I like a good sandwich once or twice a year. Son-in-law is Asian and his family eat it 3 or 4 times a week. Mostly with eggs for breakfast.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    When my kids were little, they absolutely loved ramen noodles. One day I had made spam and eggs for breakfast, and had some left over diced spam so I dropped it into their ramen noodles. They thought that was the best thing they ever ate and wanted to know where I found a recipe like that.

LabRat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    DFW
    SPAM sucks....had to eat it when my Dad was on strike in the 60s and 70s. Would never touch that stuff again if I weighed 80 lbs.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    My mother had to work hard to stretch the food budget. Spam was a treat for us. When the power was down from the last hurricane, those Spam sandwiches fried on the Coleman stove were a really tasty!

I can remember spending hours helping to grind up the remains of a ham or roast. Mom made a dough and spread the meat on it, then rolled it up and cut it in slices, so that it was meat and dough in a spiral. Those were baked and served with gravy. My Dad was the rare GI who liked SOS, so we had that fairly often. We used to get something called "City Chicken", which I think was some kind of pork on a skewer. Mom had a recipe for Salisbury Steaks that was pretty much like eating the sole of a shoe with tomato sauce. It may not have been much, but you chewed more than any 10 course meal would have you do. Leftover mashed potatoes were fried into potato pancakes. The dog got table scraps, not his own food. It was a wonder he didn't starve. My Dad insisted that the heels of the bread were the best part. They're not, but they didn't go to waste. A jar of canned tomatoes heated up with a little sugar and salt, plus chunks of any bread that was going stale became part of dinner. Dad was also fond of peanut butter and banana sandwiches. Some years ago while he was visiting one of my sisters, she took him to a Smoothie shop that she took her kids all the time. He got interested in being able to have a custom mixture in a smoothie, so he had them make one with peanut butter and bananas. What a terrible decision! The banana blended in just fine, but the peanut butter chopped up super fine and sort of froze. It was like trying to drink a milkshake with sand mixed in.

So, yeah, Spam is high on my food list.
    Where did you get your information on SOS? It heap good stuff! First cafe on the left going into Quantico ville makes the best.

Last edited:

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Did anyone pick lambs quarter from beside the road. Granny and I picked a big bag almost full and she would cook it. I didn't know what spinach was in those days.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I love Spam as long as it's fried almost crisp.
    Bologna got fried too.
    Still does.

Me at the HEB deli counter: "I need some of that Boar's Head beef bologna."
    HEB worker: "Sure. How much?"
    Me: "2 slices. Set the cutter on 12."
    HEB worker: "Uh, ok..." followed by obvious confusion that anybody could want it that thick.

If I know what number to tell them to use on the slicer, you'd think they'd realize I know what I'm doing. Nevertheless, I've only had one old lady, one time, chime in with "You're gonna fry that, aren't ya?"

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I love Spam as long as it's fried almost crisp.

Still does.

Me at the HEB deli counter: "I need some of that Boar's Head beef bologna."
    HEB worker: "Sure. How much?"
    Me: "2 slices. Set the cutter on 12."
    HEB worker: "Uh, ok..." followed by obvious confusion that anybody could want it that thick.

If I know what number to tell them to use on the slicer, you'd think they'd realize I know what I'm doing. Nevertheless, I've only had one old lady, one time, chime in with "You're gonna fry that, aren't ya?"

Ben, how thick is setting #12? I use to buy mine by the pound at the little store up the road and the lady would cut mine about 3/8" thick.

She had that real bologna! And real ham that she would slice from the loaf.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Works out to about 1/4 pound per slice, about 3/8" thick. If you actually get it at HEB, there's a gauge on the counter that shows how thick each setting is. I'm asking for a slice one interval thicker than they even show on the gauge.

Top Bottom