• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    So are you are asserting that only those with proper training are allowed to discharge a firearm to defend themselves?

In no way am I against proper training in the safe handling of guns, but that isn't a requirement of owning, bearing or using a firearm since it's a right protected by the 2nd Amendment.

And last I checked, the only relevant matter is whether they used the firearms in a legal manner. Even if they had shot someone that was threatening them. That should be the only relevant factor.
    I neither said a word about mandating firearm training nor denying Second Amendment rights.
    Lynx Defense

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I neither said a word about mandating firearm training nor denying Second Amendment rights.

Didn't say you did, said that's where the discussion always ends up. Progression to its inevitable conclusion.

I did characterize the post as short term thinking but in general, don't be so sensitive.

Red782020

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2020
    Texas
    Seems like Violent Rioters and a virus are doing a great job converting people into buying guns. All we can do is hope that a large % of the first time buyers become pro 2nd.
    I have seen so many people lately or had friends tell me about people they know buying guns who do not know what they are doing. Don't know what to buy, how to load or even know what ammo to buy for it.
    If those people are serious they need to take a safety class first. The issue with these people buying and not knowing (God forbid) is we are going to see a rise in accidents because someone is playing with a weapon and it will discharge hurting or worse yet killing another person, child or themselves. Then that will feed the the media on gun violence.
    I dont know whats worse, Covid, protests or scared uneducated people buying firearms.
    At one time I didn't know about guns or safety, but thats when I was a child before my dad, uncles and cousins taught me. And now, im teaching my children.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I have seen so many people lately or had friends tell me about people they know buying guns who do not know what they are doing. Don't know what to buy, how to load or even know what ammo to buy for it.
    If those people are serious they need to take a safety class first. The issue with these people buying and not knowing (God forbid) is we are going to see a rise accidents because someone is playing with a weapon and it will discharge hurting or worse yet killing another person, child or themselves. Then that will feed the the media on gun violence.
    I dont know whats worse, Covid, protests or scared uneducated people buying firearms.

Don't disagree lack of training may lead to more negligent or unjustifiable discharges however... their lack of training didn't cause me to kill a child. Their lack of training and the potential repercussions are not my business or yours either. Regardless of how we feel neither of us has the ability to predict the future or the right to tell someone else what to do.

This ends in "there ought to be a law!", "think of the children!". What you're talking about is the desire to control another's behavior because you don't think what they are doing is proper.

Well intentioned as it may be, everyone gets to make their own choices in a free society. This is no different at all than telling my neighbor what color he can paint his house.

If he's waving around a loaded gun in your vicinity and you feel unsafe, take it away from him, I've done it more than once.

Generally speaking - mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

ETA: the media will portray gun ownership in a negative light regardless. Kissing their ass won't change that. "Shhhh! Be quiet or we won't get any ice cream!"

Red782020

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2020
    Texas
    Don't disagree lack of training may lead to more negligent or unjustifiable discharges however... their lack of training didn't cause me to kill a child. Their lack of training and the potential repercussions are not my business or yours either. Regardless of how we feel neither of us has the ability to predict the future or the right to tell someone else what to do.

This ends in "there ought to be a law!", "think of the children!". What you're talking about is the desire to control another's behavior because you don't think what they are doing is proper.

Well intentioned as it may be, everyone gets to make their own choices in a free society. This is no different at all than telling my neighbor what color he can paint his house.

If he's waving around a loaded gun in your vicinity and you feel unsafe, take it away from him, I've done it more than once.

Generally speaking - mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

ETA: the media will portray gun ownership in a negative light regardless. Kissing their ass won't change that. "Shhhh! Be quiet or we won't get any ice cream!"
    By no means am I trying to control what people do, just an observation on a subject. The way I see it is, you don't just put someone behind the wheel of a car and tell them to drive through a big city and never have driven before. Im not talking about getting a license, because you still need to be able to pass a driving test which requires being taught.

I'm all for people doing what they want, when they want and where they want. Thats what makes this country so great. And if they want to go buy a firearm, have at it. And the only way to know is to jump in. But, at the same time...get some type of training. Not saying that there should be a law that training is required before purchase. But atleast know how to use it properly and safely.

And I do mind my own, not big on being nosey. But, when your standing in line somewhere behind a customer then its hard to not hear what their talking about. And when a friend is telling me that his in laws just bought a gun not knowing why they bought what caliber and everything else asking him for help or to teach them after the fact. Kind of hard not to be concerned about it. Can we change it, nope. Am going to try, nope.

Yes, the media will portray in negativity no matter what, but why fuel the fire.

Maybe people being open to purchasing firearms will help the people open their eyes and become pro 2nd.

Last edited:

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Well so far most of the news we are hearing is exactly as it has always been. Criminals shooting people and each other and lawful gun owners shooting criminals.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Was in the barbershop getting, of all things, a haircut! My barber is a woman. She owns the shop. Our conversation turned to firearms. She said she has a 380 semi-auto. I ask her if she's ever been to the gun range with it - "No." Have you ever fired it "No." Do you have jacketed hollow points in it? "I don't know." When/if needed that gun will probably get her killed. My daughter is no different but were working on that!!!

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    By no means am I trying to control what people do, just an observation on a subject. The way I see it is, you don't just put someone behind the wheel of a car and tell them to drive through a big city and never have driven before. Im not talking about getting a license, because you still need to be able to pass a driving test which requires being taught.

I'm all for people doing what they want, when they want and where they want. Thats what makes this country so great. And if they want to go buy a firearm, have at it. And the only way to know is to jump in. But, at the same time...get some type of training. Not saying that there should be a law that training is required before purchase. But atleast know how to use it properly and safely.

And I do mind my own, not big on being nosey. But, when your standing in line somewhere behind a customer then its hard to not hear what their talking about. And when a friend is telling me that his in laws just bought a gun not knowing why they bought what caliber and everything else asking him for help or to teach them after the fact. Kind of hard not to be concerned about it. Can we change it, nope. Am going to try, nope.

Yes, the media will portray in negativity no matter what, but why fuel the fire.

Maybe people being open to purchasing firearms will help the people open their eyes and become pro 2nd.

I guess you can have your opinion. I was handed a 22 rifle at 6-7 and a brick of ammo and basically told go have fun.

Any person who can purchase a gun is old enough and smart enough to watch a couple youtube video's and not need a training course, now if they want to take it then more power to them.

A large chunk of buyers right now are the people who are afraid of guns or think they will never need one and I am guessing a HUGE part of them stuff the gun in its box in the top of the closet with the 1 box of ammo they got with it and it never sees the light of day again or in 6 months when this is over its sold or turned in as a gun buyback.

Red782020

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2020
    Texas
    I guess you can have your opinion. I was handed a 22 rifle at 6-7 and a brick of ammo and basically told go have fun.

Any person who can purchase a gun is old enough and smart enough to watch a couple youtube video's and not need a training course, now if they want to take it then more power to them.

A large chunk of buyers right now are the people who are afraid of guns or think they will never need one and I am guessing a HUGE part of them stuff the gun in its box in the top of the closet with the 1 box of ammo they got with it and it never sees the light of day again or in 6 months when this is over its sold or turned in as a gun buyback.
    Odds are you were probably like me and had the room to go and literally shoot any direction and not have to worry about hitting a neighbor.

Well, one thing I have learned, assumptions don't accomplish much. Assuming someone is smart enough to watch a video on youtube is just that. When I'm saying training, I dont mean to actually take a class. Anyone that is familiar with a firearm can teach basic safety and operation....hell, even the youtube videos will do.

When this all passes and they are ready to take the dust covered boxes down that never got touched, ill be waiting there to take it off their hands hopefully at a discounted price.

Red782020

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2020
    Texas
    Was in the barbershop getting, of all things, a haircut! My barber is a woman. She owns the shop. Our conversation turned to firearms. She said she has a 380 semi-auto. I ask her if she's ever been to the gun range with it - "No." Have you ever fired it "No." Do you have jacketed hollow points in it? "I don't know." When/if needed that gun will probably get her killed. My daughter is no different but were working on that!!!
    My point exactly

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

Well, I was taught pretty much in that fashion to drive. If we are going to use such an analogy in comparison to guns, as ling as that person is on private property, bot endangering the general public, what business it of your's, or anyone else's for that matter? Simple answer. It isn't.

Now if that person, let's say they are about 12 years old just for the sake of hypothetical, (BTW, I learned to drive a vehicle and even operated one on the road at 12.) gets out on public roads, and can't operate a vehicle in a safe manner, then it becomes everyone's business and concern.

I'm just sick and tired of people saying that people need more training if they are going to buy a gun. It's pure bullshit and just another step towards trying to allow government over-reach into our rights and freedoms. How about the states that have laws on how your firearms are secured within your own home so that your children can't have access? Nanny-State bullshit is what it is.

I do advocate safety training. I highly recommend ANYONE new to guns, or having bought their first gun learn the safe handling of firearms. But I strictly oppose any measures to require it, or mandate it in any way, because it goes against the core values of the 2nd Amendment.

How do you think we got to the point where we are to LEGALLY carry a firearm in public, whether open or concealed? There ya go! You have to have a class, pay money and have training to LEGALLY carry a firearm open or concealed in most states. So is the permit about actually making sure the person is safe and proficient with a firearm, or is about being a revenue generator for the state, and those who offer the classes and training to get the permit? What about people that can't afford to take those classes and training, or afford the cost of the permit? One could even assume they are being discriminated agaisnst based on finances! That they aren't wealthy enough to be able to defend themselves!

Frankly, I don't give one rat's azz how many new gun buyers there are, or whether they get one iota of training in any way regarding firearms. They are adults and need to take care of their own business, without others trying to dictate what they should or shouldn't do. Am I worried about some newbie thumb-buster with his new gun accidentally shooting me? Not in the least. I'm way more worried about the 40 year old soccer mom, in the huge honking SUV taking me out because she' talking or texting on her phone instead of paying attention to her driving!

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas

Do I care one way or another ? Nope. I have been shooting more than 50 years. I train, I shoot all the time I choose to do so but I don't care if others do or not. I know people that buy table saws and lawn mowers and nail guns with [gasp] no training at all!

I get you think they should train and as I've said I don't disagree but one man's 'observation' is another man's law. As a gun owner I don't vocalize such things because the same damn people that don't get trained will decide (through experience and support of other gun owners) training is necessary.

I don't know you or your level of training and I don't care. If you are personally responsible and individually accountable then the problem is solely yours.

Why should I advocate for something I think people should do when there is no impact to me and they have the constitutional right?

I have no desire to create a stigma that a firearm is any more/less dangerous than a hammer.

Do what you do but don't deny you are telling people what they should do. Its not your job to decide what anyone needs.

I get it, I often want to tell people they're friggin idiots; when I see people work on electrical that don't know the first thing about it, when I see someone buy an RV the size of a Greyhound that have never even driven a pickup, when people spark off welders next to a gas can, when people jump in a boat that have never even been in one... They'll learn - one way or another.

Peace man, I'm not on you, it just rankles me a little when folks say things like "they should be trained before they kill someone!" then some idiot in power says "yeah that makes perfect sense, should be a law!".

I'm beating a dead horse and if I hadn't been drinking I'd have never pointed it out. Have fun.

Top Bottom