• ...and so much more!
  • DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    What do you use?

I use Kaspersky or Symantec (have several computers), Malwarebytes, Pop-Up Stopper.

if you took the the cash for clunker deal, get a new hard drive.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I use Spyware Doctor from PC Tools...It finds "boogers" and quarantines them and

you can later remove, finds spyware also...Also a thing called Antimalware that rids

of junk, evidence, and a host of other fixes...

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I install either Endpoint or AV2009 on most customers.
    Malwarebytes is an exceptional program that is free ~ I have not tried the 'real time' monitoring you get when you pay for it but may do this in the future. I have used this program to clean up and remove virus/Trojans that no other has been able to do. CCleaner is a good clean up program but is not an AV. I try to avoid programs with firewalls especially in a local area network. They can also slow down older computers a lot ~ like Symantec 360 or Norton Internet Security > these programs I am not fond of.

bleak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2009
    Mesquite, TX
    I caught the mother of all virus back in March. W32.Virut.CF. It is a poly-morphic virus written by very clever people. It was so hard to kill, I had to wipe my HD three times. It spreads to any usb device and stays resident in memory. You actually have to pull the plug and take out the (laptop) battery! I could write about it for awhile.

My point is only Avast AV (and Dr Web CureIt) could recognize it then (but could not stop it). I was running Symantec AV Corporate at the time. Since then I've been a devout Avast user and could not recommend it enough.

But who wants to catch these things in the first place? I use Firefox with the NoScript and RequestPolicy plugins. They do a great job letting you know that the web site offering free South Park (that was what got me ha ha) is not all they say they are. Like that "clunker" web site cars.gov, for example.

There is also USB Firewall and Flash Disinfector that are useful. W32.Virut actually spread to my blackberry microSD card! It is a good thing I was mostly backed up to NAS drives. Those were not infected.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    -Adaware
    -Malwarebytes
    -CC Cleaner
    -Occasionally Kaspersky

I've found personally that Mcafee and Norton don't do jack, and there are some free programs out there that perform better and catch more stuff. ;)

GI-John

Hurry up and wait!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX
    spybot search and destroy and Symantec when i was usin VIsta for M, I also took it upon myself to use Itunes solely, and no more sites with any signs of piracy. Im also on a mac now.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I use Ubuntu, I haven't had any malware/Viruses/spyware/stupidity in over 3 years.
    I do make a living scrubbing crap off of M$ machines.

Eli
    +1
    if youa re having toruble with malware et al, chances are you need to upgrade your OS....
    to linux!

other than that, Avast is Really Really good sofrtware. and, its free! which is even better.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Word of warning, I used Spywarestop for sometime and my system continue to slow down, once removed my computer returned to normal.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    yeah watch out for offbrand spyware programs, lots of times they jsut add more stuff to your pc. more malware and such.
    even hook you into botnets.
    devious bastards!

AmirFazadh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Texas
    I use Ubuntu, I haven't had any malware/Viruses/spyware/stupidity in over 3 years.
    I do make a living scrubbing crap off of M$ machines.

Eli
    Me too, though my main machine these days is a MacBook. Got Ubuntu running on a desktop in my daughter's room, and a netbook that boots to Ubuntu, Mac, and Windows 7.

AmirFazadh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    Texas
    +1
    if youa re having toruble with malware et al, chances are you need to upgrade your OS....
    to linux!

other than that, Avast is Really Really good sofrtware. and, its free! which is even better.
    Big +1 to Avast, been using it for years. Very lightweight, pretty quick, and easy to use. Did I mention it's free?

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas
    Me too, though my main machine these days is a MacBook. Got Ubuntu running on a desktop in my daughter's room, and a netbook that boots to Ubuntu, Mac, and Windows 7.

So, are you running OSx86 on your netbook? As soon as I get the time to play around with it, I am planning on loading OSx86 on my wife's new Lenovo. It will be my first Hackintosh!

My current dream laptop is a MacBook Pro running OSX with VirtualBox so I can run XP and Ubuntu inside it.

Eli

I run VMWare Fusion on my MBP. I have built several Linux distros, and it works great. I have not tried VirtualBox. I may have to check it out.

Top Bottom