Squib

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Lil'Joe, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Lil'Joe

Lil'Joe New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Houston
    I was trying out some new ammo from a company up around Austin, TX in my G27.

I heard the striker hit the primer but there was no recoil and the spent brass did not eject.

It took me a moment and then I realized that I might have a squib in the barrel.

Broke the pistol down and sure enough there was a 180-gr plug about 1-inch down the barrel.

I am going to contact the company and discuss this with them, but in the mean time what is the best way to remove the bullet from my barrel?

2. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    Sorry for the problem, but what brand of ammo was it? Was it reloaded? Thanks.

I don't know how to fix your problem, and i'll let someone else answer.

3. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Brass rod or steel rod covered in tape.
    Gently tap the bullet out the shortest distance to the end of the barrel.
    I've reloaded for years and every now and then no mater how hard you watch, one gets by with no powder or you just get a bad primer.
    Wood dowels work but I have heard of folk mushrooming the end in the barrel and then the rod and bullet were stuck.
    Gently is relative to how stuck the bullets is - LOL!!!!!

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    They get stuck pretty damn good. You could always try heating the barrel and allowing the lead to soften. That will make it easier to get out.

5. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    How would you heat it up?

Hot water?

Bunsen burner?

Oven?

6. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

I was the guy next to you helping out. You had showed me a bullet that looked defective. Do you recall if that bullet was that way before you loaded the magazine?

7. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Boiling water would work well. It wouldn't overheat the metal.

Just make sure to dry it out well.

8. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Just push it out, use a cleaning rod and whack the bugger out....

9. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009
    sometimes when i was bored when i was a kid i would melt lead shot and .177 pellets with a torch lighter. only to about 5 seconds to reduced nearly to liquid
    havent had that problem yet with a stuck pbullet though...
    wheres my popcorn? i need to watch this thread

10. Lil'Joe

Lil'Joe New Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Houston
    Connradd - No I do not remember if that cartridge was like that before I attempted to shoot it.

Funny thing guys, I bought this at the last gun show at the George R. Brown from what appeared to be a man in his early 40's, his wife maybe early 40's and a son maybe early 20's.

I started looking for the name of the manufacturer on the box, and there is not a company name on the box.

The box is red with white lettering and graphics. On one side of the box is an American flag with all caps QUALITY CENTERFIRE AMMUNITION MADE WITH PRIDE IN THE U.S.A. written beside the flag

On the opposite side is a warning label that says, "WARNING - THIS AMMUNITION SHOULD BE USED ONLY IN WELL MAITAINED FIREARMS IN GOOD CONDITION AND DESIGNED FOR MODERN AMMUNITION, TO AVOID INJURY (1) MAKE SURE THAT THIS IS THE CORRECT CARTRIDGE FOR YOUR FIREARMS. (2) ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION. (3) KEEP THE BARREL FREE OF OBSTRUCTIONS. (4) IF A MISFIRE OCCURS KEEP THE MUZZLE POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION AND USE CARE IN UNLOADING. LEAD WARNING: CONTAINES LEAD."

On one end it says 40 180 RN.

There are no other markings anywhere on the box.

Am I being a conspiracy theorist, or could I have been the almost victim of a planned accident.

Did anyone else remember purchasing Ammo from these people, has anyone heard of shooters being injured or their firearms damaged from squibs and then firing a round into a barrel with a lodged bullet recently?

Probably just a vivid imagination, but I find it funny that there are no markings on the box. Besides, I would like to track the manufacturers down and speak to them about the money I am out and the possible damage to my G27.