squirrel hunt

Discussion in 'Texas Hunting & Fishing' started by tlcmqn, Feb 3, 2009.

1. tlcmqn

tlcmqn New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Hi.
    I live in San Antonio, and I never been squirrel hunting before. I purchased a buckmark camper few weeks ago and would like to try it out. Just wondering if anyone know a place I can go, and do I need a hunting license? And also, for those that do go squirrel hunting, what do you do with the dead squirrel?? is it good meat?

2. kville79

kville79 Active Member

May 24, 2008
    Austin
    hmmm... I'm pretty sure you need a hunting license to intentionally hunt any animal. Never been on a "squirrel hunt" per se, usually the only time I'll shoot at squirrels is if we've had no luck with anything else and one happens to cross my path on the way back. You can eat them, they're kinda gamey though.

My suggestion would be if you really want to kill a squirrel, get yourself a high powerd pellet gun, sit in your backyard with a beer or whatnot and wait for em'.

3. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Yes, absolutely. Time to educate yourself... Texas Parks & Wildlife Department | Hunting & Wildlife

Check the seasons. Some counties don't allow squirrel hunting, some counties have a specific season, and some counties have a year-round season. The daily bag limit is 10.

Whether squirrels are good to eat or not is subjective. I grew up hunting squirrels, and in my opinion, they are very good to eat. Cleaning them takes a bit of skill...if you get any of the hair on the meat, you'll have one hell of a time getting it off.

4. PopsXD9sc

PopsXD9sc Active Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    TXSUT is right; hair sticks like glue and skinning them without getting hair on the meat is an acquired skill if not an art. Grew up hunting them and eating as well and always tasted good to me unless you shoot ones that are eating a lot of pine nuts; kinda like they are soaked in turpentine.

Sporting of you to give the little critters a sporting chance hunting with a .22 pistol. Like to do the same but here in North East Texas we have a lot of cat squirrels and they run like blue blazes; does make hunting with a Buckmark interesting though.

5. 40Arpent

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Amazingly enough, I just found a video on Youtube that shows the method we, and I am sure you, used. That damn internet is something, ain't it? :rofl:

YouTube - How to Skin a Squirrel Video

6. tlcmqn

tlcmqn New Member

Jan 14, 2009
    so I went to TPWD link provided and looked around
    it saids open season without bag limit for Bexar county, but that doesn't tell me where I can go to hunt
    more help please :gotme:?

7. kville79

kville79 Active Member

May 24, 2008
    Austin

Pure pimpness... I usually cut behind the neck and do pretty much the same thing in reverse, but stepping on the tail looks like it makes it a ton easier!

To note: The only time I've eaten squirrel was spitted on a stick over a camp fire, so that's probably why I have an experience of it being gamey. I intend to try Squirrel stew here pretty soon.

8. 40Arpent

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    When I get a little free time, I'll PM you some squirrel cooking tips.

9. 40Arpent

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Go to the section that says "Public Hunting." You have more reading to do. ;)

10. 44Mo

44Mo New Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I take these little varmints in my backyard with home made 44cal shot shells.
    Not any louder than a 22lr but only good out to 10 yards max.
    Out pat 6 yards I don't even shoot at them because it won't kill them only bounce a few #12 pellets off them.
    I always have a garden each summer so these little buggers are everywhere and like to dig up my garden to get to the tasty roots.
    No one seams to mind as this is an older neighborhood and is filled with trees and we are over run with them; literally thousands of them.
    As for eating, very tasty. My favorite is vegetable squirrel stew or bacon wrapped squirrel ka-bobs.