• ...and so much more!
  • Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I am starting the process of getting legislation introduced in the 2013 Texas legislative session to allow the use of suppressors for deer hunting. I am trying to find a compilation of states that currently allow suppressors for deer hunting. I was wondering if someone has a complete list not just one state at a time reply.
    ARJ Defense ad

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I witnessed a .308 surpressed rifle and it wasn't all that quiet...loading sub sonic ammo helps of course but hasn't the ft/lbs of energy which may be required involving distance, and "knock down" power...

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    Why? What is the point? I could see wanting to use a can for hogs and such but don't see any reason why you would want to use one on deer... ok I see the reason but not the point. How lopsided do you need the hunt to be?

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    More suppressors are used and the fear of them is lessened the better the laws and understanding get around them.

Even then, it's not that rare to see a raccoon or pig eating your corn at the deer feeder and just want to quietly dispatch that pest and not having to mount\unmount the suppressor is nice.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    How are you "starting the process"?

I don't know the answer btw. You might have to check state by state. I would like to see a bill like this pass.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I have worked with a former state legislature representative during his six years he was on the Texas Legislature. You cant just show up and ask your representative to introduce a bill just because you think it is a good idea. They want to see the pros and cons already worked out. Who is for and against. Most game wardens so far are for it (A surprising many already use suppressors while hog hunting). I have been thinking about this for a number of months now. Opening day of deer season sounded like the fourth of July around here. By Saturday night all deer were seeking cover. I walked back to my house and had 16 deer bedding down in my front yard....Dont kill deer in my yard unless it is some badass buck. Anyway I have a plan of attack and just getting my ducks in a row. We all know suppressors are not quiet like they are in the movies. Just easier on the ears. It would be a nice option. If I wanted quiet I would use one of those crossbows, the ultimate silencer.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    The point of using a silencer is that it lessons hearing loss in all people hunting.

Most do not put the ear pro in before shooting.

Cans don't make a centerfire rifle silent! The animals will be alerted and run off before you can harvest the entire herd.

Criminals will use silencers regardless of the law.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    The point of using a silencer is that it lessons hearing loss in all people hunting.

Cans don't make a centerfire rifle silent! The animals will be alerted and run off before you can harvest the entire herd.

Exactly..I am lucky the game wardens are on my side on this issue. The hard part is going to be educating other legislatures and the general public.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    More suppressors are used and the fear of them is lessened the better the laws and understanding get around them.

Even then, it's not that rare to see a raccoon or pig eating your corn at the deer feeder and just want to quietly dispatch that pest and not having to mount\unmount the suppressor is nice.

Both good points I hadn't thought about.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    It would be nice if you're rattling up a buck to both be able to hear it coming and to get some ear protection from the blast.

Also, who cares why I need it? It's called freedom.

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas

Even then, it's not that rare to see a raccoon or pig eating your corn at the deer feeder and just want to quietly dispatch that pest and not having to mount\unmount the suppressor is nice

This- but be careful doing this now. I was harassed by a GW for posessing a suppressor while hunting (driving around in a Jeep during deer season actually), even though I wasn't actively pursuing deer. Fortunately I had not killed any deer that trip but I feel if I had, I would have been in court defending myself whether I had harvested the deer legally or not.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I am starting the process of getting legislation introduced in the 2013 Texas legislative session to allow the use of suppressors for deer hunting. I am trying to find a compilation of states that currently allow suppressors for deer hunting. I was wondering if someone has a complete list not just one state at a time reply.

Try bow hunting....no ear protection needed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    DFW / Amarillo
    Driller, give me a shout. I am currently working with TSRA as well as my state Senator. I think the 2 reps in my area will be on board too. Sean is right about the fact that a suppressor is utilized for hearing protection. Most hunters do not take ear pro to the blind or on the stalk. I guaren-damn-tee that if game hunters are allowed to hunt with a can (given the fact that they have one) they won't leave it in the truck. That one shot with your rifle while inside your blind can permanently damage your hearing.

For those who have not been around suppressors and have an opinion about them, I challenge you to find a dealer doing a demo. It will change your mind. I will be doing bi-weekly demos in the DFW area starting in January. Come on out and see what the rage is about. I am not stingy and you can abuse my wares.

P.S. There is a link in my signature line to Silencer Forum. Kel from Gemtech posted a thread with the state-by-state hunting information.

Scott

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Nice day talking to Game Wardens on the phone. Only one has had an issue with an "illegal" home made non registered suppressor. Other Game wardens have never had problems with hunters or poachers with suppressors. Some Game wardens talked about their own personal suppressors they use in developed areas for hog suppression. Biggest issue now is poachers using crossbows like I suspected. Will give you a shout later Scott.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    At this time, the following statesallowprivate ownership of silencers: AL, AR, AK, AZ, CO, CT, FL, GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, ME, MD, MS, MT, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, andWY. This is just private ownership not deer hunting.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    why? What is the point? I could see wanting to use a can for hogs and such but don't see any reason why you would want to use one on deer... Ok i see the reason but not the point. How lopsided do you need the hunt to be?
    WHAT? Why use a suppressor?? Becuase i want to keep whats left of my hearing!

Don't limit it to just deer. Allow it for all hunting. I'm not sure of any US state that allows it, but I believe there are some European countries that require the use of a suppressor. Noise pollution and all that...

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Hog hunting with suppressors are legal in Texas as well as using lasers, night vision, thermal imaging..etc..I even think that if you legally own a machine gun you can use that also for any non game animal in Texas. It would be nice to take your deer down without the other guys on your lease having to hear your rifles noise (the deer also hear it...so you are messing with everyones hunt).

Top Bottom