• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robbf213

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Jefferson, TX
    Game Wardens that have issues with suppressors do not understand suppressors. The TPWD researched its records and the use of suppressors to hunt game animals is not a problem. The weapon of choice for illegal hunting is the crossbow. Listen to the archived audio of the last TPWD commissioner meeting. You can have a suppressor in your deer stand while hunting deer right now and able to use it to kill a HOG if one shows up. The problem now is that a Game Warden would think you might be hunting deer suppressed. He has to actually watch you shoot the deer at the exact moment you kill it if you shoot suppressed. It is not illegal to have a tagged deer in your truck and the suppressor on your rifle right now. I was shocked to hear this revelation. I think this change would take the unknown grey area away and make the Wardens job easier.

You are wrong about GW's not understanding suppressors. I know a whole bunch of them that have them and I doubt there are many that have never been around them. They suppress the sound that makes it harder or impossible to hear. With subsonic ammo especially they would never hear the shot. GW's make many, many good cases by hearing a shot and taking it from there. I imagine that most GW's will see it as making there job harder. For the record, 22's and 17's are the weapon of choice for most poachers not crossbows.
    ARJ Defense ad

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    You are wrong about GW's not understanding suppressors. I know a whole bunch of them that have them and I doubt there are many that have never been around them. They suppress the sound that makes it harder or impossible to hear. With subsonic ammo especially they would never hear the shot. GW's make many, many good cases by hearing a shot and taking it from there. I imagine that most GW's will see it as making there job harder. For the record, 22's and 17's are the weapon of choice for most poachers not crossbows.

I live out in the country in Walker county and people are shooting 24/7. GW do not come running every time someone shoots a gun. We shoot off the back porch at varmits and targets day and night. I usually hunt hogs every weekend behind my house on 200 acres. All neighbors shoot every weekend. I have never seen my GW and have lived here 10 years. I have talked to him on the phone about suppressors last month. Point is that GW don't come running when people are shooting. It is what you do when you live in the country. Some weekends it sounds like a war zone. Sheriff came by once after neighbors complained of my .50 bmg concussion sound rattling their windows 2 miles away..funny story. other than that hearing gunfire in the country is normal. They wait for a landowner to make a complaint of poaching (dead deer..no head..backstrap gone etc..) and follow up from there. When talking to my GW last month about suppressors he said in the 20 years he has been doing his job he has seen one instance of poaching with suppressors and it was an illegal one that was home made. His biggest issue is with crossbows.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

Have you ever fired a suppressed rifle?

Are you the author of the Statesman article?

Poaching is a serious crime. Possessing an unregistered suppressor is a serious crime. Those are separate issues. Killing a game animal with a suppressed weapon is a Class C misdemeanor. The risk of a class C is negligible compared to the risk of the former crimes. Removing this restriction will have no effect on poaching. In other words, if a poacher wanted to use a suppressed weapon he would already be doing it. The restriction on suppressors for law abiding citizens is the TPWD equivalent of criminal empowerment zones.

robbf213

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Jefferson, TX
    Have you ever fired a suppressed rifle?

Are you the author of the Statesman article?

Poaching is a serious crime. Possessing an unregistered suppressor is a serious crime. Those are separate issues. Killing a game animal with a suppressed weapon is a Class C misdemeanor. The risk of a class C is negligible compared to the risk of the former crimes. Removing this restriction will have no effect on poaching. In other words, if a poacher wanted to use a suppressed weapon he would already be doing it. The restriction on suppressors for law abiding citizens is the TPWD equivalent of criminal empowerment zones.

I have two suppressors and no I didn't write the stupid article. I was merely relating what numerous GW's I know and work with feel about this. Just another perspective. I know what the laws are on suppressors and don't need an education from you. The Wardens I know aren't giddy with excitement like you are about the proposed change. That is all.

danno

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Rowlett
    id think range and power would be more important than sound; even a suppressed rifle shot will scare off the other animals.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    To me its about hearing. Most of my kills are within 20 yards suppressed. I like to sever the cervical spine above the shoulder. works well for hogs, they do not take one step.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ

Email Sent to: robert.macdonald@tpwd.state.tx.us,

Subject: Regarding the proposed amendment allowing the use of silencers

Dear Mr. MacDonald,

As a Texas hunter I support the use of silencers to hunt game animals.

Sincerely,

My Name
    My Address
    My Phone Number

Regarding the proposed amendment allowing the use of silencers, the department has determined that there is no resource- or enforcement-related reason to prohibit the use of firearm silencers for the take of alligators, game animals or game birds, and therefore proposes to eliminate the current prohibition. The department notes that if the proposal is adopted, it will not relieve any person of the obligation to otherwise comply with any applicable state, federal, or local law governing the possession or use of firearm silencers

Comments on the proposed rules may be submitted by phone or e-mail to Robert Macdonald (512) 389-4775; e-mail: robert.macdonald@tpwd.state.tx.us, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, 4200 Smith School Road, Austin, Texas 78744. Comments may also be submitted through the department’s Internet web site and at upcoming public meetings to be scheduled around the state.

For anyone who just wants the information.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    From another state that allows suppressors while hunting.

IMAG0358.jpg

Top Bottom