• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prosdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    I bought around 800 rounds of .223 steel ammo (Herters and Brown Bear) and 150 rounds of aluminum cased .40 CCI Blazer without realizing that the range I want to get a membership at doesn't allow it. It seems every range I've checked, Nardis, Bullet Hole, etc, doesn't allow it. Is there anywhere in or around San Antonio/Bexar County that I can shoot this stuff? If not, I figure someone who shoots on their own property could probably use it, what's the best way to find someone to sell it to?

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    A Place to Shoot, Bexar Community Range, Cedar Ridge, Dietz....not 100% sure if they do, but those are some you can contact to make sure. I thought you couduse them at the Bullet Hole, I guess I was mistaken.

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Cedar Ridge, Bracken, Bexar Community don't give a schnitt. There is lots of discarded brass/steel on the ground at Cedar Ridge & Bexar. Bracken sweeps with a magnet. All of it can be recycled. Any range that prohibits steel or aluminum cased ammo is ignorant. Aluminum fetches $ .51 per pound at local recycling yards.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Some of the ranges are too lazy to separate the aluminum from brass. They can at least use a magnet to get the steel out. I don't know of why else it would matter but if someone knows please enlighten me.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Some ranges don't allow steel because slob shooters don't pick it up when finished.
    The empty cases lying in the grass are bad juju for lawn mower blades.

Are you sure they don't mean steel cored bullets?

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Some ranges don't allow steel because slob shooters don't pick it up when finished.
    The empty cases lying in the grass are bad juju for lawn mower blades.

Are you sure they don't mean steel cored bullets?

Some ranges don't seem to mind that you don't pick it up. Besides some indoor ranges, I've never been asked or told to pick up anything I didn't want to reuse.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Stick a small magnet to the tip of those rounds. Some are magnetic. That means there is steel present.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    Stick a small magnet to the tip of those rounds. Some are magnetic. That means there is steel present.

Just because the bullet itself attracts a magnet, that doesn't mean it's steel core. A lot of the import stuff uses a bi-metal jacket instead of a copper jacket. It might have steel in the jacket, but it's a soft steel, not hardened like a steel core penetrator.

Top Bottom