• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red1027

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    RGV
    Been wanting to pick up some steel targets for a while now but never got a chance to doing so. These are the two that I have narrowed it down to.

From Chris Costa's facebook I got this link STEEL TARGETS

Info:
    The AR 500 (brinell hardness of at least 495) plate floats inside of the carrier allowing it to absorb the impact without the need to swing to the rear or rock in the carrier to absorb the bullet impact.

• Height - 54 inches
    • Weight - 52 pounds
    • Base Width - 22 inches
    • Plate Size - 18 inches x 9.5 inches
    • Ballistic Capability - Rimfire to Centerfire Rifle and Lead Shotgun Loads and Slugs (no steel shot)

I did a little research and found this website IPSC Target, Half size [IPSC1/2] - $119.00 : MGM Targets, Taking training to the next level...

Info:
    What are your targets made of? All our targets are made of 500 brinell steel, which is the same hardness as Armor Plate. AR 500 is comparable to roughly a 52 on the Rockwell C scale, which is also about the same hardness as a good knife blade. In addition to the chemical composition of the steel, a 'quench and temper' process at the steel mill further enhances the steel hardness and toughness. In comparison, your car is made of mild steel, about 135 Brinell, and T-1, (the old steel for targets) is about a 235 hardness. AR500 can withstand literally thousands of rounds from reasonable distances without significant damage.
    "AR 500" is a steel mill designation, but, not all AR 500 actually has a Brinell hardness of 500. Often it will be as low as 495. MGM has had a standing internal requirement that no steel would be used for our targets unless it was a 495 BHN (Brinell Hardness Number), or higher. MGM's acceptable tolerance measurements on steel is the tightest in the industry and we require our steel suppliers to contract and supply to this tolerance.

My questions to you guys/gals....What should I look for when purchasing a steel target? If you used either, which would you recommend and why? I am leaning towards the second website for because of the price but I do not want to make a mistake and buy something that will not last. "Buy once, Cry once" so any other suggestions are also welcome.

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    MGM has been making steel targets a lot longer than most of the other guys out there. They are one of the top manufacturers and also do a great job supporting the shooting sports. AR15target.com as listed above has good prices and also sponsors a number of matches. Both are GTG in my book.

Top Bottom