• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    so how does the soon to be new OC law and amendments affect Under the Steering Wheel Column Holsters?
    Venture Surplus ad

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    but is it considered open carry if its strapped to the car and not to your body ?

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    As long as the holster is on a belt or shoulder holster?
    Heck if I know........

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    I've never felt like a holster on the steering column provided adequate access. Reach around? Through? Is there enough room to actually draw the gun? Another option that looks really promising to me is a Velcro-backed pad with a leather or kydex holster mounted on it; this assembly would Velcro to your vehicle somewhere. Concealable options are also available.

One of my big concerns is that I want the firearm to remain in the holster during a collision, and I want the holster to remain where I mounted it during that collision as well. My specific worry is that a minor collision would jar the gun loose and it slides under the brake or gas pedal, decreasing the amount of control I now have. If the collision is bad, admittedly all bets are off.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    The law says "in a belt or shoulder holster" in regards to open carry. I'm sure that someone could rig one of those type holsters to a steering column, but I'm not sure what LEO would do when they pulled you over. I would guess they wouldn't care too much and just think "OC is legal and this guy has a CHL" and wouldn't think too much about it, since we know most cops don't know the law word for word. Whether it's actually legal or not, I am not sure. This is not legal advice, FYI.

juan valdez

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2014
    I've never felt like a holster on the steering column provided adequate access. Reach around? Through? Is there enough room to actually draw the gun? Another option that looks really promising to me is a Velcro-backed pad with a leather or kydex holster mounted on it; this assembly would Velcro to your vehicle somewhere. Concealable options are also available.

One of my big concerns is that I want the firearm to remain in the holster during a collision, and I want the holster to remain where I mounted it during that collision as well. My specific worry is that a minor collision would jar the gun loose and it slides under the brake or gas pedal, decreasing the amount of control I now have. If the collision is bad, admittedly all bets are off.

I was in a single car accident in March and truck ended up on driver side sliding down the hwy. It was amazing how much stuff went flying around. My toolbox which was bolted to my bed even came off, though I think that was more from the thin aluminum of the box failing. But still, I had crap strewn all over the hwy. Shirts were destroyed, glasses, watch, cash, alll sorts of odds and ends. And that was only while doing appx 45 mph at start of hydroplaning. Most likely slower when I impacted the barrier. Tha kfully I wasn't hurt and everyone managed to dodge me safely.
    Point is, I've really considered what I leave laying around in my truck lately. Holster would probably stay attached if bolted, but would it retain the firearm? Hard to know unless you were to be in an accident. Also, would head on collision be a different result than say a roll over? Might want to weigh the statistical likelihood of will you ever need to draw your gun in your vehicle vs will you be in a wreck. Personally I've been in three major accidents, 2 while I was driving, and two other fender benders (not my fault) and have yet to need a gun while driving. Personally I'll probably carry in my console, but it's nice to have the option (assuming it's hashed out that it's legal to open carry mounted to vehicle)
    Sorry for long post

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    so because you have not needed a gun in your car are you saying you should not have one in there ?

How many CHL users have never needed there gun until they did need there gun ? Its best to have it and not need it than to not have it and need it

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Well, if the bill is signed and after Jan 1, 2016, a person with a license can OC in his car, yo.

As long as the holster is on a belt or shoulder holster?
    Heck if I know........

You made me reconsider my answer. The law does require that an open carry be on a belt on shoulder holster; therefore, the steering wheel holster would not be lawful, still. ;)

J. Fred

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Devil's Backbone,RR32
    You made me reconsider my answer. The law does require that an open carry be on a belt on shoulder holster; therefore, the steering wheel holster would not be lawful, still. ;)

Does it say what kind of belt ? Belt for pants or can it just be a belt ? Like a cartridge belt for a holster ?

I'm not arguing whether it is a good or bad or impractical,just what type of "belt".

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    my guess is that the intent of the law when it says belt or shoulder holster would be an article worn around your waist or a holster made to be supported by your shoulders. So I would say the column holster is still a no no unless you conceal the firearm

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    interesting.

Before I thought the CC language "on or about your person" allowed concealed carry for women to carry in their purse. Or a person could carry in a backpack or any other means to conceal that was "on or about your person"

it seems weird that a CHL holder would be committing an offense under the new law by using a holster inches away from their body

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    But the open carry sepicfiys belt or shoulder holster it does not change the concealed part

interesting.

Before I thought the CC language "on or about your person" allowed concealed carry for women to carry in their purse. Or a person could carry in a backpack or any other means to conceal that was "on or about your person"

it seems weird that a CHL holder would be committing an offense under the new law by using a holster inches away from their body

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    interesting.

Belt or shoulder holster applies to OC, not CC. If it's concealed you can still carry how you wish.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    my guess is that the intent of the law when it says belt or shoulder holster would be an article worn around your waist or a holster made to be supported by your shoulders. So I would say the column holster is still a no no unless you conceal the firearm

yes, I agree, it is all about the mindset of the driver with the CHL.

If the gun in inyour console, under your seat or in your glove box, then you were concealing it on or about your person.

If the gun is on a hip or shoulder hoster than you are OC'ing.

you are covered here by just about any means to carry in your vehicle I could imagine but a steering column holster would have to be concealed and I'm not sure how some vehicles are layed out if that is possible

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    D54G
    Top Bottom