Steiner R1X Impressions

Discussion in 'Optics' started by SC-Texas, Jul 29, 2017.

1. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Just opened the box on a loaner from Third Coast Thermal.

I like the mount. Its the same mount that they have been using on their dbal lasers. It self adjusts. Its has a great tactile feel when installing or removing the sight. The odd thing is that you need a tool to adjust the sight. You cannot adjust the zero with just your fingers.

I had to install the riser to align the sight for use on the AR platform. I need to check the cowitness. Steiner does not include any allen wrenches.

I zeroed it at 50 yards. Bore sighted the rifle from the hog saddle. It was easy to zero. The adjustment knobs use a phillips or a slothead screwdriver. They have a distinct tactile response between clicks.

It was easy to get on steel.

The sight has two reticles with 2 NV settings and is visible in bright sunlight.

One reticle has a single dot.

[​IMG]

The other setting has 3 dots.

3-dot stadia reticle. The center dot represents a 50-meter sight in and the three stadia dots are calibrated for ranges of 10, 7 and 5 meters.

The top dot is 50m zero
    The bottom 3 dots are for upclose

These 3 stadia dots deal with the offest from the height of the sight above the bore axis

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sight uses two cr2032 batteries. They are behind a plate that is secured with 4 screws. These are phillips but i was able to install the batteries without tools.

It operates on one battery with a reduced battery life. Battery life with two cr2032s is reportedly around 700hrs. We will see.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  2. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Btw. Clifford at Third Coast Thermal is having an open box demo sale if you give him a call. Www.thirdcoastthermal.com

3. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Auto off after 8 hours. This function can be turned on and off as needed

The red dot is 2 MOA.

Sight in. 1 click = 1/2 MOA or 1/4" at 50 yards.

25MOA of elevation and windage.

The r1x is waterproof fog proof

The site remembers the last chosen radical and illumination level when you turn it off and back on[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Initial impressions. My initial impressions are that it's different.

It's a box. But it's not as big as my aimpoints.

It feels solid. It does not feel cheap. The buttons have good feedback as to the radical adjustments

I usually like rotary dials when selecting the on off and light intensity. In part that is because I'm used to aimpoints.

I do like the location of the switches. They are easy manipulate and select a intensity level and even swutch between the reticles

The Red Dot is bright enough to see in bright sunlight. A necessity with this type of weapon sight. the weapon sight was easy to install, sight in. it has a extremely wide field of view.

I'm going to test the Return to Zero aspects of the mount in a few days

5. baboon

baboon Well-Known

I lost all confidence in Steiner after my Commander binocular went to shit. They had a lifetime warranty when I bought them in 82. Their binoculars are built to be disposable, not something worthy of a lifetime warranty. Talking about them with a friend of mine he told me his buddy threw a pair of their marine binoculars overboard.

6. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    What is the point of a 50 meter zero with dots for 10, 7, and 5 meters?

Are you hunting squirrels with it?

I would be tempted to zero the bottom dot at 50 meters and see where the higher dots hit at further distances.

I don't get it.

7. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Actually. Zero the top dots and use the 3 bottom as holdovers

8. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX

They are for extreme close engagements

9. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    1st dot 50m
    Between 2nd and 3rd. 150
    3rd 200
    4th dot about 250. I had the hold about where the 5th. Would be to hit the 300-yard pig

I believe the amount returns to zero reliably. Further testing to confirm this