• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    I just found out my step-grandfather has this .22 rifle. Looked it over, and it's been sitting around for years and years. I think it was his fathers. The bolt is stuck so I can't get that open. So first, do you think it would be ok to take a rubber mallet and try to hammer the bolt open? If I can get the bolt open, I would like to then break it down to give it a good cleaning.

I tried to search for a video on how to do that, but just found a bunch of people shooting one or showing one off but not showing how to break it down. Anyone know of a vid that would help? I didn't find a manual for it here>>>http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/articles-how-tos/46440-manuals-about-any-gun-ever-made.html either, so im stuck.

I know I could just take it to a gunsmith, but where's the fun in that, even if it is a bit of a hassle to find out how

Last edited by a moderator:

doncom

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Marble Falls, TX
    Before you hammer.....that bolt will push in to lock. Try to pull it out then back. It may be stuck but it may also just be locked. Good luck, it's a great gun.

@rjromano1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2015
    hello hello
    i know that this thread is old
    and that you probably solved your problem
    but
    i obtained this firearm - stevens 87b in a similar manner as you did
    and had the same problem
    solution is to pull the knob out
    and then it will slide open
    have fun!!!
    : - )

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I just picked up a Stevens 87b for $90. It's not in bad shape but it's no museum piece either. Did you ever find a manual for it? Not that it needs one, it is the one of the most basic firearm I have ever seen...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Actually, I knew almost nothing about this rifle before buying it, I just thought it would make a good project gun.

Turns out it is quite a dandy little firearm!

I spend quite some time this evening cleaning the white paint spots off the stock. Looks like it was nearby when someone was spraying something, it wasn't fun but I got most of it off. Lemon oil wood polish did the trick, and brought out some of the grain of the wood. The initials 'JWB' are carved in both sides of the stock. I like that, gives it some provenance.

Can't wait to shoot it. Might go out this weekend, I'll bring it along. I really want to try out that bolt hold back feature and try it as a single shot by locking the bolt! :D

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom