• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • emaroquin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Hi everyone, I will share my experience with my STI GP6, Full Size, 9mm caliber.
    A couple of months I started a thread about this pistol, asking if its a good pistol or not. First of all I want to be clear that I´m posting this thread with all honesty and I will be very impartial.

In my country when you buy a firearm in a store, you have to wait like a month or a month and a half while the government registers the ballistic print of your weapon and a lot of other burocratic stuff. I have my pistol since like about 2 or 3 months. Before my STI GP6 I had a Bul G-Cherokee, full size, also 9mm. With that one I fired only like 100 rounds, and never had any jam at all, even if it only where 100 rounds. Then when we where to the beach and came back in January, burglars busted in my house and took almost everything, including my 9mm pistol.

Even if that pistol never jammed, the exterior material was kind of bad, because after a month of having it, it had some rust duts on the frame even though I cleaned it every week even if I didn´t used it. That gun didn´t fitted in my hands as good as the GP6.

So they gave me my pistol. When I got it I was a little confused and kind of scared, very clueless, because I read a lot of negative stuff about that pistol and I was worried my pistol was defective.
    In my room at my closet I had a box of 9mm rounds (115 grain, FMJ, Remington) they were there for over a year, and placed on a humid place.

So I filled my magazine and shot 2 times, no jams, a friend of me shot the third one and the pistol got stuck. Literally, it shot the round, but the case got stuck, even if I tried, it didn´t came out, so I went to the store where I bought my weapon. The owner tried and nothing, so we called the STI importer in Guatemala and he was in the US, so we took the firearm to a Gunsmith that the owner of the store trusts (by this time I was afraid the gun was ruined). At the Gunsmith, he took the case and checked the weapon looking for internal or external damage. He told us that the gun was perfectly fine, it didn´t had any problems, but still he had to test it and determine if it needed gunsmithing. So he putted 10 rounds on each magazine and started shooting the same ammo. After the second round he shot it jammed, it made an Stovepipe, then he fired again, and after 2 rounds it stovepided again. I couldn´t believe it, I thought it was a garbage gun. So the store owner suggested to try different ammo, so he gave to the guy Partizan and Sellier and Belliot ammo.

So he shot with the Partizan, and after the 5 round, IT JAMMED. So he inserted the clip with Sellier and Belliot ammo (115 grains, Full Metal Jacket) and everything changed drastically.
    At this point he shot the 10 on the magazine and no problems, he shot another 10 rounds, and no problems. So the guy of the gunsmith and the owner of the store had some theories about the failure, they thought that the ammo was defective or that the barrel came to tight or too loose (that would have been a problem). So the gun needed further more testing, so we went to a Shooting Range with the owner. We had 2 boxes of Seller and Belliot and the rest of bullets of the Remington box.

When I started shooting I was a little scared and confused, so I filled the magazine with 15 and started shooting, it had 0 problems. At the end I shot the 2 boxes and no problems. This gun has an amazing, awesome, fabulous trigger pull, its the best trigger pull I´ve ever tried. It is a very very accurate pistol to shoot, and I had never fired or owned a pistol that fits that great in my hand.

After I ran out of the 2 boxes of Sellier and Bellot, I tried with the Remington ammo, and no problems at all. In my country when you reach 25 years you can have permission to have a license to carry your weapon outside your house, so I went to get my first license and took the exam. The exam is divided in a pshicological test, a theorical exam and the one in which you shoot. In the last one you have to shoot your weapon 6 times and hit at least 5 times the target. So I went to the government´s range and shot my 6 bullets, I did fine 5/6, but the one testing me told me that I looked nervous, and I wasnt, so I shot another 6, and this time I did 6/6 (perhaps you only have two chances) and I had no jams either.

I was pleased with my weapon, but I knew it needed further testing, so I went to a farm I own, and bought another Sellier and Bellot box. This time I really tried that my weapon jammed, but it didnt. I even shot gangster style. I had 0 problems.

Now I´m planning to shoot my weapnon without cleaning it, and see how resistant it is to dirt. Im also planning to get Tula and Wolf ammo to test it. And as always, I will never use reloaded ammo.

CONCLUSION: I am satisfied with the gun I bought, even though that the first 17 rounds gave me problems, I havent had any problems since then, it runs perfectly good. Talking with the one who imports STI to Guatemala, he told me that they come with the barrel pretty tight, and that the first 30 rounds can be problematic. I also wrote to Jaroslav Kuracina, the CEO of Grand Power in Slovakia, and told me that same thing. The importer here in Guatemala told me that not all the pistol is made in Slovakia, he told me that only the Polymer frame, and that the barrel and everything else was made at Texas by STI.
    The outside of this weapon is very durable in comparisson to the Bul G-Cherokee.
    About the rotative barrel: I havent had ANY problems due to the rotating barrel, that is Bullshit.

I think that the old ammo and the tight of the barrel where the responsable of the Failure to Eject. Now I have changed the Remington ammo for the Sellier and Bellot. I have also heard that the Fiocchi ammo is flawless.

Negative Aspects:
    -The first 17 rounds.
    -The bottom of the magazines is made of polymer, i personally dont like that.
    -It is extremelly difficult to me to assemble and dissasemble this gun, at least for me.

Positive Aspects:
    -It´s performance after the 17 rounds.
    -The ergonomics.
    -The Trigger pull (simply love it)
    -The weight
    -The design of the pistol (I like it)
    -The presicion of the gun (man, from the first time I did fantastic)

This pistol can be used for competition and self defense, I totally recomend it.

HELPFUL ADVICE FOR PEOPLE BUYING THE STI GP6/GRAND POWER K100:
    -Your first box of ammo should be Sellier and Bellot.
    -Don´t panic if it jams on the first like 30 shots (in my case 17, and I know 2 other STI GP6 owners who havent had ANY JAMS, and they have shot like 10,000 rounds). If it continues to jam, then contact the place you bought it or return.
    -Don´t use old ammo, or ammo stored on a humid place.
    -Buy a lether made holster for polymer frame pistols, THEY FIT PERFECTLY.

What do you think? Comment below.
    Capitol Armory ad

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    don't know this pistol (other than what I've read) and I'm glad you got it straightened out (I have 3 of STIs pistol - a 9mm, a .40cal and a .45cal - great shooting pistols and have had no problem with them)

some pistols are, indeed, ammo sensitive - you might give "problem ammo" another try further on down the line - sometimes FTE problems can be the shooter, or you might try a heavier bullet (124 or 147 grain ammo) should you have the same problem in the future

remember, for possible future problems that you might not be able to rectify, STI backs all their pistols....forever and will fix any problem, no cost

good luck

Top Bottom