• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doncom

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Marble Falls, TX
    I'm looking for a new full size 1911 and have narrowed the choices down to a Rock Island Tactical or a STI Spartan V. The price difference is not the deciding factor.

Lets hear your thoughts on which of the two you would rather own.

I have other 1911's so don't make this complicated....of the two, which would you rather have and why?

Thanks
    don
    Military Camp

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    money no problem? STI all day!!! i have owned 4 rocks a citadel edc a rock tac. but they are both are trust worthy...
    MY man txredneck has a springer in his safe for me!!! then a sti...better fit finish and all round a better 1911

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'd take a ria tactical over a spartan. Due to price. Seeing that they are made by the same people in the same place. C

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    STI. Going to be gone over a bit better.

FWIW, made in the same place by the same people does not equal the same product. Volkswagen and Porsche are all part of the same company. You think you're getting the same quality? Just the difference between VW and Audi is noticeable.

qwiksdraw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sachse, TX
    I'd take a ria tactical over a spartan. Due to price. Seeing that they are made by the same people in the same place. C
    The Spartan model frames, slides and barrels are made by Armscor, all the internals are made by STI. Spartans are manufactured to STI spec and built on a separate line (a separate division of the company). After assembly, the guns are shipped to Georgetown, TX for quality control and distribution. With the Spartan you also get the full STI warranty and customer service. All this adds up to difference in price, yet still one of the best gun deals on a 1911.

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    I have two spartan and really like em. I have an RIA GI (not tactical i know) and the Spartan is better. More refined.

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    STI.

You can always afford a RIA ,but not an STI.
    2c.jpg

doncom

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Marble Falls, TX
    Wow, I was leaning toward STI, but you guys have made the decision much easier.

Thanks, and others are welcome to comment. I'm sure it will be a while before I can find one in stock.

GLI45

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Glad we helped with your decision. Would have hated to report you for conduct unbecoming of a Texan. Have you checked Dawson Precision and Brazos Custom? Both are big STI distributors.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have owned most all of the mentioned pistols but not the lower end STI's. In the upper end STI's, there is NO comparison! Regarding the lower end STI's knowing the source and pedigree of them, I see no difference. That's not saying that there is ANYTHING wrong with the RIA's! They are great and over the years, I've owned 5 of them including the MS (Commander), government models (dirty word...sorry) and the Tactical. Total thumbs up on RIA!

Both companies have excellent Customer Service by reputation but my direct experience is more with STI customer service. Total thumbs up for them!

Flash

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom