• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    Still no answer?

Stoeger is simply a division of Beretta. They were bought out along with Uberti, Franchi, Bernadelli, and a bunch of others. If you check the Beretta USA web site you will find Stoeger parts for sale and service is at the address in Accokeek MD, belonging to Beretta. Check your booklet and warranty card.

SAND_MAN1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Fort Worth
    First post here and last night took the plunge and got myself this Stoeger in 9mm. I wanted the .40s&w but called around and no one seems to have them in stock. Bought it at Academy in south Fort Worth.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    My cougar just came in.Going to my new gun guy to pick it up tonight.I ordered three extra mags so I should be good.Onac255 you said yours came with two mags?

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Super great pistol. Had to sell my wife's as she injured her hand and cannot rack a slide any longer. I miss that gun more than she does. It shot as sweet as any gun I ever owned.

Reacher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Cool looking gun. I've never heard of them. (just getting back into shooting after a couple of years off)

EDIT: Just did a little research. Great reviews on this gun.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    My cougar just came in.Going to my new gun guy to pick it up tonight.I ordered three extra mags so I should be good.Onac255 you said yours came with two mags?

Yeah Mac my gun came with two 15 round magazines and I ordered two more from the online beretta shop.

These are awesome guns.

SAND_MAN1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I went and shot it Friday at one of the local ranges and I loved it. My wife fired it as well and liked it alot. I put 200+ rounds through it and I bought 300 rounds today hoping to go back again but didn't make it. Very solid gun and I'm a satisfied owner!

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I like hearing stories like that. I'm going to have to take a look at them (if they have any) the next time I'm in Academy.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    I went and shot it Friday at one of the local ranges and I loved it. My wife fired it as well and liked it alot. I put 200+ rounds through it and I bought 300 rounds today hoping to go back again but didn't make it. Very solid gun and I'm a satisfied owner!

Awesome Sand Man!

Unfortunately for me my gun is shooting low. Me and four other shooters all shoot low tight groups with my cougar.

I figured out that if my front sight is above my rear sights it shoots exactly where I want it to shoot.

If I level my sights it shoots low.

Other than that my Cougar has now eaten 1,415 rounds of various kinds with only 3 FTEs so far...

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Gonna Get One

I like hearing stories like that. I'm going to have to take a look at them (if they have any) the next time I'm in Academy.

Have been looking at Stoeger Cougar in 9mm for over a week now and have put off buying because of safety. Then it hit me.......if this was a sweet deal on a 1911 compact....no hesitation! No the delimma is the Academy has both .40 & 9mm in stock. Since I have a Glock 27 & 32, think I'll go with 9mm.....ammo cost considered. Of course I have a Sig SP2022 in 9mm already......damn.......back to square one.

Okie556

SAND_MAN1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Have been looking at Stoeger Cougar in 9mm for over a week now and have put off buying because of safety. Then it hit me.......if this was a sweet deal on a 1911 compact....no hesitation! No the delimma is the Academy has both .40 & 9mm in stock. Since I have a Glock 27 & 32, think I'll go with 9mm.....ammo cost considered. Of course I have a Sig SP2022 in 9mm already......damn.......back to square one.

Okie556

I originally wanted the .40 myself but all the local Academy spots were out of stock. I settled for the 9mm and have no regrets. Of course this is only my first gun, but it won't be my last so hopefully a .40 is in the future for me.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My pick of self defense ammo would be:

-Corbon DPX
    -Federal HST
    -Winchester Ranger SXT
    -Speer Gold Dot
    -Remington Golden Saber

Out of those, IMO the Corbon DPX, Federal HST and Winchester Ranger SXT's are of significantly better quality, and are more consistent and reliable at expansion. I have studied TONS of ballistics tests and I have to say I stay away from Hydra Shok's myself. They work but, they are a bit older "technology" and according to some ballistics tests they can have some issues with expanding reliably if penetrating through certain types of barriers. Under FBI testing standards, I believe it was the four layer denim tests where it wasn't uncommon for the open nose to get plugged up with denim and react basically like an FMJ. They do work and have worked well for many years, I would say some of the others I've listed are better quality and more consistent though as they've had the benefit of ~10+ year newer technology. Here are a bunch of links to give you some ideas:

terminal 40 s&w
    terminal ballistics
    LE - Wound Ballistics (there is TONS of info on this website)
    LE - Ballistics
    FBI Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness - FirearmsTactical.com (that's a good read if you want to learn about ballistics in relation to wounding)
    FirearmsTactical.com - Web Site Index and Navigation Center (TONS of tests and other info there as well, great resource)

As far as choosing JHP's, only other advice I could give is:

-Avoid RBCD and Extreme Shock like the plague! They are absolute TRASH
    -Don't use CCI shotshells (not enough power or penetration)
    -Don't use Glaser safety slugs (same as the shotshells, they don't work)
    -Corbon DPX, Federal HST, and Winchester Ranger SXT are the top three best quality rounds out there in my opinion (as always, take it with a grain of salt)

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Don't know much about the Winchester STX so I won't comment on that one other than to say allot of experts swear by them as dependable and accurate. I have looked into the DPX and they have way to much penetration for my liking, they don't even offer a .40 cal in 180gr that I can find. The hydra shocks are a very popular brand in law enforcement as a "winter" round due to the rod in the center I believe. The TAP is what is loaded in the gun right now and I have found it very accurate. (the hydra shocks are accurate to) but Sig Fiend and I can both agree to stay away from the cci shot and Glasser safety slugs. No knowledge of the Golden sabers or the Gold dot's so no comment on those ether. But all are respected names in ammunition

Top Bottom