Texas SOT

Stolen Para Ordinance WARTHOG .45 in Austin.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CollinLeon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Republic of Tejas
    So, what are you suggesting? That you do a video recording of the seller saying that he sold you the firearm on a particular date? I don't tend to put addresses on bills of sale anyway. I might put a phone number and maybe a TX driver's license number. Besides, this is Texas -- all you have to do is go next door to find more guns... Or even easier, target an FFL holder since their addresses are very easy to find...

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    I don't tend to put addresses on bills of sale anyway. I might put a phone number and maybe a TX driver's license number. ...

And that is the primary reason I won't do a BOS with anybody. Ain't no way on God's green earth I'm letting you have my DL number.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    So....then why bother with the BOS at all? It's already been told (time after time) that they provide NO "protection", and actually present a larger threat for those that have 'em, or have bought 'em with them. Time after time, LEO's and long-time gun collectors with lots of experience have come on this board have said that BOS' provide NO "protection" - yet misguided folks still continue to want to use 'em.

CollinLeon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Republic of Tejas
    Oh well... To each, his own opinion, I guess... I suspect that a bill of sale with me is safer than one with a FFL holder since there is no way that he can lock up all of his records in a safe considering the amount of business that he might do... I believe that it provides more protection than not having one, but I hope to never find out whether that is true...

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Oh well... To each, his own opinion, I guess... I suspect that a bill of sale with me is safer than one with a FFL holder since there is no way that he can lock up all of his records in a safe considering the amount of business that he might do... I believe that it provides more protection than not having one, but I hope to never find out whether that is true...

You are making the presumption that there is no other alternative to either a BOS or an FFL record. Some of us may also buy privately with no record whatsoever. That is my preferred method. Before you assume that there is a FFL record for every firearm, I have several that were purchased prior to that particular requirement as well.

CollinLeon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    Republic of Tejas
    Yes, I know that it is possible and legal to sell a firearm without a bill of sale or an FFL record. I'm just saying that keeping a private record of who you buy a firearm from could be useful in the future if it there was ever a question concerning your ownership of a particular firearm or when you acquired it if it had previously been used in a crime. I figure that the cops are going to look for whomever is the easiest to pin a crime on, not who necessarily did it. As the person currently in possession of a firearm, they're going to be trying to pin it on you instead of just going by some vague statement by you that you bought the firearm from *someone* a few years ago... I figure that the cops are lazy and if they think that they can blame a crime on you instead of doing some research and charging someone else with it, they will... It's just human nature to take the easy way out... Is it paranoia on my part? Maybe, but just because you are paranoid, it doesn't mean that the world is not out to get you...

If you don't want to sign a bill of sale or make some sort of recorded video statement about selling the firearm, so be it, but I'm going to consider such an action as a bit suspect and I will not go through with the deal. I have every right to do what I believe is necessary to cover my ass in such a transaction and you have every right to try to protect your privacy in the transaction. If you choose to not ever do bills of sale, you have no reason to complain if a firearm of yours that gets stolen never ends up getting recovered.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    The way i understand it is it's not notarized. Therefore it's worthless. You mentioned selling a car... That's not notarized but it is on a legal state form. I sold a guy a car last month and signed the title to him. Apparently he hasn't changed the title so I got a few toll bills in the mail. Just cause I signed that title doesn't mean a thing unless it's changed in the states database. (believe me I just filed that owner transfer form online. Lol). fortunately we don't have to register firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom