• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    I got pulled over in my subdivision at 4:30am on my way to work. I didn’t even see him, didn’t think anyone would be out and was half asleep. I always stop during the day especially when kids are out. Never did I think I’d ever be pulled over in my neighborhood, let alone at 4:30am. I bet he figured I was a drunk driver, or he was bored as hell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    '56 Buick Special was my first car. I didn't worry about out-runnin' nobody - I'd just crush 'em with those massive bumpers.....

1956_buick_special_riviera_2_door_hardtop_1560834825755ef473835eIMG_0491-940x741.jpg

Attachments

• 1956_buick_special_riviera_2_door_hardtop_1560834825755ef473835eIMG_0491-940x741.jpg
      1956_buick_special_riviera_2_door_hardtop_1560834825755ef473835eIMG_0491-940x741.jpg
      109.4 KB · Views: 206

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    A true Austin PD story. Woodrow and Morrow intersection is a four way stop sign intersection. I was stopped heading east on Morrow, a car coming south on Woodrow rolled up as I was getting ready to proceed, that car dis not stop, just sailed through the stop sign and an APD unit that came up at nearly the same time headed west on Morrow watched the car blow the stop sign... I waited for the APD to go nail the other car and nope nope.... As the APD vehicle passed me I flashed my lights and waved at him to stop, asked why he didn't go nail the stop sign runner, " Not going to worry about someone rolling through a stop sign, not that big a deal."

Oh well....

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    We didn't have simulators.
    We played for keeps. None of the tomfoolery.

The "simulator" was a projection screen and a console with rudimentary vehicle controls for each student. This was 40+ years ago.

During normal operations, a red light and buzzer would go off if we didn't react correctly, and the instructor had to keep tabs on each of the 12 or so students in the trailer.

During our "cleared hot" session, it was nothing but flashing red lights and buzzers! :clown:

We also had a closed parking lot with lanes to practice in using regular cars (which were piece of junk Chryslers), and then there were the "real world" tests in vehicles with dual controls. Two students had to sit in the back while a third was driving, that has to be one of the scariest things I've ever done in my life!

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    What simulator? Closest we had was a gas pedal and a brake pedal mounted on an angled board. Above it was a fake steering wheel with a green and a red light light bulb. When you mashed the gas pedal the green light went on. After an indeterminate period the red light would come on and you hit the brakes. It had an electronic time that showed your reaction time.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    My simulator was stealing my parents car at night after they went to bed. Never got ticketed or in a wreck. Passed my test with flying colors. I had to push it down the road before starting it and coast in when returning. Didn't help that it was a giant station wagon with a 454 ci engine. You could actually see the fuel gauge drop as you drove. Good thing fuel was cheap then!

Riteii

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    Hill Country
    For the classroom portion we had a simulator. It was a film strip with audio. It would describe a situation and we had multiple choice questions. Push A,B,C or D. Always complained to the teacher if we got it wrong that the equipment was malfunctioning.

Driver's part was on Meyerland Speedway. '68 & '69 Camaro's. Teaching us how to enter and exit a freeway. Teach sat in the stands and "instructed" us on the FM station radio frequency.

STOP. ROCK and ROLL. That's how you stop at a stop sign. I still say that in my mind when I come upon a stop sign. Stop. The car Rocks back. And roll on through.

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    My simulator was stealing my parents car at night after they went to bed. Never got ticketed or in a wreck. Passed my test with flying colors. I had to push it down the road before starting it and coast in when returning. Didn't help that it was a giant station wagon with a 454 ci engine. You could actually see the fuel gauge drop as you drove. Good thing fuel was cheap then!

My uncle told me a story like that before he died. He used to steal my dads car at night. He would push it out of the driveway and his friend would push the car down the road while he steered and they’d jump start it after his friend hopped back in the car.

They also used to drive to hockey practice at 5am during the winter and compete with each other on who could ride on the roof rack the longest before tapping out. Jeez times must’ve been different then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Jeez times must’ve been different then
    They haven't changed that much... I've had my "own" car since I was about 10 so I didn't have to "steal" one, but I definitely did the push it to the road before starting thing a few times.

I can't even remember all the dumb shit we did in cars in high school, but a friend of mine had to get pins in his wrist after falling off while car surfing. His mom tried to get my parents to pay for it because I was driving, but I told them "I told the dumbass not to do it but he did it anyway." My dad was like, yeah not paying for that :laughing:

Top Bottom