• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RatBikeRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I started a similar thread on another forum and thought I would get impressions here as well.

I have a very small house and ended up opting for a really small pistol safe which, unfortinutely, could be easily picked up and walked off with. I don’t have room for a large safe, so my long guns tend to end up in cases either under the bed or in the closet. I dont have many long guns though. I am mostly concerned about my pistols and an AR pistol I built.

I have been thinking about just getting a job site steel tool box and bolting it to the floor. I could get a 36x18x20 or so that would fit in a space I have in a closet.

Any thoughts on options?
    Capitol Armory ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    If you have that much floor space in the closet, you should be able to get the same size safe in there.
    Judging by just a visual check, it appears my safe would fit below my closet rod, if height is one of your concerns.

RatBikeRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I get two spaces in my home now that our kids are grown, married and moved.

The left side of the garage - for my motorcycles and work space.

The closet in my son’s old room - where I have converted it into gun storage, reloading supplies, reloading bench and cleaning station.

If I were on my own I could live in one of those tiny houses with a garage. I would be golden! :whip:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've used a truck tool box before. Stuck 2, 45# and 4 25# barbell weights in the bottom. They can't carry off something heavy.

I now use the tool box outside. Single lid, UWS brand with an anit-scratch coating.

It's low enough to fit lots of smaller areas. More then strong enough to stack things on top of it.

RatBikeRod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Yea, I am thinking that the job box will allow me to stack on top of it too. I am in and out of my safe pretty often though. Will probably just put my range bag on top.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Yea, I am thinking that the job box will allow me to stack on top of it too. I am in and out of my safe pretty often though. Will probably just put my range bag on top.

Buy an, "American Lock series 5200" to go with it. Don't buy a Master lock or any other brand besides American Lock. It's a military spec lock required by security protocol on certain stuff. It's a seriously mean chunk of metal. I can pick Master Locks like nothing. I've never been able to a pick an American Lock.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Or just cut a hole in the lid and empty the box.

The locks isn't the likely weak point for a job box in an empty house.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Security measures...no matter what it is. From a fence to a pad lock.

They are time delay devices that increase the odds of catching anyone trying to defeat it. We've gone over this before. Porta-Power will open that pretty safe.

It's the time that'll it take, that matters. Nothing is theft proof. Nothing.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I started a similar thread on another forum and thought I would get impressions here as well.

I have a very small house and ended up opting for a really small pistol safe which, unfortinutely, could be easily picked up and walked off with. I don’t have room for a large safe, so my long guns tend to end up in cases either under the bed or in the closet. I dont have many long guns though. I am mostly concerned about my pistols and an AR pistol I built.

I have been thinking about just getting a job site steel tool box and bolting it to the floor. I could get a 36x18x20 or so that would fit in a space I have in a closet.

Any thoughts on options?
    Don't forget that you need a few extra inches to open the lid on a Jobox.

Man up, pull the shelf, and get a safe. Give your wife access so she can keep your balls in there.

(Insert fancy smiley here or something). (Or not).

Top Bottom