Lynx Defense

Storage sheds? Do you utilize them for emergency supplies?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    I know people use storage sheds for storing tools, landscaping equipment, etc. But for me I keep most of my tools in the main garage, and I like having easy access to my tools when I'm maintaining my cars (socket sets, various oils/lubricants, wrenches, air compressor, etc).

I don't have much landscaping equipment except maybe a hand held branch cutter (no mower, or edger) because I hire out for a landscaping every 2 weeks.

So basically my storage shed has remained largely empty except recently I started storing emergency supplies in it (water, dried food, medical supplies, etc). Now it's not some janky $500 tuff shed from Home Depot. It's a legit shed with a real concrete foundation, and it actually has integrated power outlets. Judging the space I feel like I could store months of dried food and medical supplies in there.

Has anyone used their storage shed for emergency supplies? Should I put in a small AC in there to keep temperatures under 80f? What have other people done?

shed.jpg
    Guns International

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Put A/C in it & buy a generator to power a few things like the fridge TV radio and find something comfortable to sleep on if the power goes out for a while.

Ah, good suggestion on the generator.

What kind of generator are you using? Just gasoline, or propane?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Ah, good suggestion on the generator.

What kind of generator are you using? Just gasoline, or propane?
    I don't have one. I toughed it out through power outages while in Houston simple because I had to go to work for 36 years. Working in a grocery store after a storm was 12-14 hour days.

I thought about a generator having moved into this place during the big freeze. I we made it thru that fine. other then rolling black out I don't for see a electric problem. My neighor is set up with a propane Generac, which is what I would do. I can't see storing the kind of gasoline or diesel required. If their aint power chance are your not buying fuel for the pumps are down. (funny just how little cash folks keep on hand for emergencies)

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Put a wood stove in it. I'm thinking of doing that with my shed. I have a 16x20 foot with 7 or 8 ft wall studs. metal roof. windows. It was made as a livable backup to the house. If you have pets, put dog or cat hair in it. It's a trick to keeping mice and rats out. Because they live on smell, they stay away from new paths that smell of predators. I have a couch in my shed and it's clean on the outside but I leave the dog hair inside and under it. To this day not one mouse or rat dropping and the shed is in the pasture. I have used this trick for a long time.

One option to reduce heat I thought about doing, was install a solar attic fan. Get enough CFM going and the temp should feel fine. Then it's not such a hog on the electric bill.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Has anyone used their storage shed for emergency supplies? Should I put in a small AC in there to keep temperatures under 80f? What have other people done?
    Emergency supplies shouldn't require a temperature controlled environment. The supplies the Army provided in Korea and Vietnam saw a wide range of cold and hot temperatures. If it's dry and above freezing it should be usable.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I’m not sure I would put any food stuffs into a shed that’s not air conditioned at least a little. How hot does it get inside? Get you an inverter genny is only powering the shed. Runs quiet and won’t keep you up at night. I think some come as dual fuel like the champion. and Honda I think has a kit to run their gas gennys off of propane.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    What temperatures do foods encounter in during transportation across country and storage in warehouses?

I can tell you from experience that milk jugs (like some water brands package their gallon water in) don't hold up in high temperatures. I had a couple out in my workshop. Then one day I noticed water damage to the shelf they were sitting on...and that the jugs themselves were 2/3 empty.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I can tell you from experience that milk jugs (like some water brands package their gallon water in) don't hold up in high temperatures. I had a couple out in my workshop. Then one day I noticed water damage to the shelf they were sitting on...and that the jugs themselves were 2/3 empty.
    I've had that happen to me too, and my garage is fairly well insulated for a garage. It will still get to 85 on a 105 degree day.
    Ruined a particle board shelf.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    What temperatures do foods encounter in during transportation across country and storage in warehouses?
    Storage warehouses are at min room temp. The DCs for Randall’s and TomThumb are, and I wouldn’t expect them be any different than the others. Any time spent in a truck is short term. Personally I wouldn’t be comfortable eating any food that cycles between hot and blazing hot in the summer for months at a time. C rations might be okay but I wouldn’t try it with consumer grade super market stuff

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nope, all mine stay in the house. I like to keep all my stuff under 75f for longevity. Luckily the boy just went off to college and freed up another room, so we''ll have a dedicated room for it.

Maybe once I get the closed cell foam all sprayed in the extra room in the barn, I may add an ac to see how well it does. I just don't want to risk losing all my goods to varmints or hot temps, not really fond of an ac running non stop just for storage either.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I've got a 12 x 20 I use for my workshop with the back half for storage. As far as emergency supplies...if you mean food and water, we store those inside the house.
    Most of the items I have stored are in my house as above 70-75 degrees is not recommended for them. Other items are in my garage with is insulated from extreme temperatures.

Top Bottom