• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Florescent lights?
    I hear they interfere with electronic scales.
    Only issue I've had with beam type was a fan blowing across the bench.

ChrisMo68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Hurst, TX
    Florescent lights?
    I hear they interfere with electronic scales.
    Only issue I've had with beam type was a fan blowing across the bench.
    Nope, no cfl's here. Oh yeah, I made sure the heater wasn't turned on as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ChrisMo68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Hurst, TX
    I guess I'll have to breakdown and call Hornady. Anyone gave any experience with them?

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    Interesting because I have a high dollar Dillon electronic scale and was getting strange readings.. same powder charge will get different weight by .2 grains some times. I have the Scale on a separate bench so there is no vibrations and there are no moving air or cfl lights anywhere near. Started using a $20 electronic scale to check the $150 dollar Dillon. Still don’t know why this happens sometimes.

I am going to talk to Dillon and see if they have any ideas. I read someplace that if these electronic scale get to much weight on the scale surface it will damage them. Might have happene during packing of shipping?.

ChrisMo68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Hurst, TX
    Interesting because I have a high dollar Dillon electronic scale and was getting strange readings.. same powder charge will get different weight by .2 grains some times. I have the Scale on a separate bench so there is no vibrations and there are no moving air or cfl lights anywhere near. Started using a $20 electronic scale to check the $150 dollar Dillon. Still don’t know why this happens sometimes.

I am going to talk to Dillon and see if they have any ideas. I read someplace that if these electronic scale get to much weight on the scale surface it will damage them. Might have happene during packing of shipping?.
    Another possibility, but I don't think so. The scale came in it's own box inside the main box and the scale itself has a built in hard cover...
    3515db279c7ab0e1fe9b615664f1262d.jpg

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I have that exact scale and when it starts acting up, I run the calibration cycle. If it can’t pass it’s calibration test it tells you.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Good luck. I bought a nice (name brand but can't think of the name of it) scale and had readings all over the place. Called them and they said not to plug it in, use batteries only! Basically I said WTF, I'm in my Man Cave 300 ft. from the nearest transformer with no AC going and no fans going! Got nothing bus BS from them. I'll check the manufacturer (can't think of it right now). I wasn't pleased with their response (they didn't give a shit!). It finally settled down but I damn sure wouldn't buy another of their brand just because of their attitude!

PACT Scale is doing OK but I definitely would not recommend them for helpful customer service!

ChrisMo68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Hurst, TX
    Update.

Replaced batteries and recalibrated the scale, again, and now it seems to be holding zero.

Thanks for everyone's input!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    All of these consumer grade electronic scales float a bit. When such a tiny amount of difference like a grain or two can have an impact, it's best to re-zero the scale every 5-10 measurements.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    You may have noise on your power line and combined with a cheap DC converter, you get fluctuations on the scale in operation. That uis why going to batteries, a pristine(r) DC power source can help.

A few things you can try if you want to use it plugged in, get a better DC converter, put a low pass filter on the line, put some cap into the DC power plane, and leave the scale turned on, all the time.

Otoh, I run RCBS scales on the same circuits I've got loaders and processors running in under a lot of fluorescent and I get zero bounce unless the processor is kicking out fatties. I've run all the brands, only charge masters in the shop now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've got an Auto Charge the will read correctly with a verified mass set. It does get off by about .3gr or so with a 20gram mass.

It refuses to complete a calibration procedure and almost always drops charges about 1.5gr over while claiming it is correct. Bastard will even read 40.1 after dispensing a charge, then drop back to 40 and beep that it's all good.

I now set it .2gr low and trickle up on a beam scale. I've always been more comfortable with them anyways and use the mass set to check accuracy as near as possible above and below the charge I intend to dispense. Makes no sense as I can put a known weight on it and it will read accurately. If I were buying new I'd got with a chargemaster based on pretty much everything I've read comparing them, but I got this one used and it speeds up my process as is so it will stay for a while.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've got an Auto Charge the will read correctly with a verified mass set. It does get off by about .3gr or so with a 20gram mass.

It refuses to complete a calibration procedure and almost always drops charges about 1.5gr over while claiming it is correct. Bastard will even read 40.1 after dispensing a charge, then drop back to 40 and beep that it's all good.

I now set it .2gr low and trickle up on a beam scale. I've always been more comfortable with them anyways and use the mass set to check accuracy as near as possible above and below the charge I intend to dispense. Makes no sense as I can put a known weight on it and it will read accurately. If I were buying new I'd got with a chargemaster based on pretty much everything I've read comparing them, but I got this one used and it speeds up my process as is so it will stay for a while.
    You can connect a trigger to a beam scale to stop an auto dispenser once it balances at your set weight. That would take the hassle out of dealing with these consumer grade load cells and cheap electronics.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Just remember when looking at the accuracy of the commercial scales that 1 gram = 15.4324 grains. Plus/Minus .1 Gram accuracy is Plus/Minus 1.5 Grains. Too coarse for precision reloading. When working on a load I move in .5 grain steps and down to .3 to zero in. Biggest reason I don't own a RCBS Chargemaster from what I have been told. YMMV

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just remember when looking at the accuracy of the commercial scales that 1 gram = 15.4324 grains. Plus/Minus .1 Gram accuracy is Plus/Minus 1.5 Grains. Too coarse for precision reloading. When working on a load I move in .5 grain steps and down to .3 to zero in. Biggest reason I don't own a RCBS Chargemaster from what I have been told. YMMV

I don't know of any reloading scales that rate accuracy in grams. All of mine rate at +/- 1gr, and typically read much more accurately than that unless I'm breathing on them or something. The Autocharge is typically within .1gr on a ~40gr charge, based on placing .2g, .5g, 1g, 2g, 5g, 10g, and 20g masses on the scale which have been checked for their accuracy. I convert the weights to grains and check the scale that way because the calibration function isn't working. although at 20g (308.64717gr) it reads about .3gr heavy. I suspect that the accuracy rating is given at the scales maximum rated weight. Not bad though for a scale I can't calibrate.

Top Bottom