• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Good evening all. I recently picked up a Streamlight TLR-9 to compare to my TLR-1HL. The TLR-9, if you're not familiar - is the TLR-7A's big brother - they stretched a TLR-7A out and stuffed another CR123 battery in series - literally doubling the output per Streamlight's specs (the TLR-7A is a 500 lumen, 5,000 candela light - the TLR-9 is a 1,000 lumen, 10,000 candela light).

I really like some of the features of the TLR-9 - first and foremost are the switches. Its the best switching setup Streamlight has devised for a pistol light. Two independently functioning push switches in the back that are (with the right rail key) perfectly placed for activation with either a trigger finger, or support hand thumb. You also push *forward* on the switch, vs up or down - which means you are putting pressure in the direction of the target, instead of putting pressure in an off-target direction. Its also identical activation on either side, versus the TLR-1 rocker switches that are mirrored (up for temp, down for constant on the right side, and then down for temp, up for constant on the left.)

The second best feature of the TLR-9 over *all* other weapon lights that aren't Chinesium junk, is the shape and form factor. Its the same length as a SureFire X300, but it is skinny - its the same width as both my Beretta 92X and Smith & Wesson M&P because the batteries are nuts to butts stacked, versus riding side by side like they do in a TLR-1 body. That makes building a holster for it SO much easier, since its flat and skinny versus short, fat, and round (like my mother in law) and it typically makes for a more comfortable concealment holster, for those of us big enough, or dumb enough, to carry a full size gun with a full size light as an EDC.

3fGJjkB.jpg

yRJvRtU.jpg

People see the long-boy TLR-9 and think "wow that's too big" but its literally the same length as an X300. Its a good fit on a duty size gun. To that end - I did have to try the TLR9 on my M&P to test fit it in my Safariland rig (6360 RDO) and it fits perfectly.

lWFCs1N.jpg

As you can see from the two above pictures - on an M&P 2.0 4.25 inch - even the TLR-1HL sticks out from the front of the gun, and the TLR-9 really isn't *that* much longer. Maybe 1/2 an inch or so. In the third pic, that's the TLR-9 mounted to the M&P, and stuffed in my 6360, which also fits upto the 5" slide for the M&P. Sorry for the potato quality picture with that one.

I finally got some time off from work to make good comparison of light output - I filmed some footage that I have to edit together, and when I get that done I'll post up the video here, but I'll describe my results and try to paint a vivid picture for you.

The test setting: My front yard and driveway - 100 yards from the porch to the gate - rural area 40 miles NW of Houston. Lush green grass, trees, sand and gravel driveway.

The test target: A dart board / bullseye that is regulation dart board size (regulation dart board on one side, bullseye on the back side, which is what I used for this test. The bullseye consists of concentric white and black rings, with a solid red center dot.)

Test distances: 20, 50, 100 yards

Test methodology: Using batteries with similar time on them, illuminate the target and observe and describe what is visible and identifiable with the naked eye.

Known information going in: The TLR-9 is rated by Streamlight as a 1,000 lumen; 10,000 candela light. The TLR1HL I have is the 1,000 lumen; 20,000 candela light. We know that lumens = raw horsepower, candela is more applicable to torque.

My observations? At 20 yards - both lights provide good target identification capability and color definition of the target surfaces. At 50 yards, both lights are adequate to identify a target, but both lack some of the color definition. Neither light was good for seeing the red dot at the center of the bullseye at 50 yards. At 100 yards - you can see with the naked eye that there is a target, and you could probably identify if they have *something* in their hands, neither light is great for that, at that distance.

The TLR-9 does not have a defined, noticeable hot spot. It is a flood light through and through. The light is softer, and for building searches in a residence or office setting, would offer a wider angle of illumination, so you're going to light up more of the room at once and not get as much annoying light bounce back. The TLR-1 has a very well defined hotspot, good target definition up close, and the higher candela means its more blinding and painful - the TLR1 is going the be the light more likely to make somene look away because the light hurts.

For general searching in an open area - the TLR9 also excels at general illumination, but the TLR-1HL while not offering the spill, offers better visual feedback of what's in the hotspot.

For *my* uses as a duty weapon light - as just a security guard at a private school run out of a church during daylight hours - honestly either light would be fine - and there is enough of a mix of long, narrow corridors and open areas that makes making a choice based on academics alone difficult. I will be doing more testing (school is out until August, I've got plenty of time) before I make a final choice between the two (or possibly going with a different light altogether since the SureFire X300 Turbo is fairly readily available now, and Cloud could maybe possibly release their weapon light this year.) If the hospital I work at full time was an armed site (tazey crazy but no bang bang) then it would be a more difficult choice, since hospitals have looong narrow corridors, small and large rooms, and I cover the exterior areas surrounding the facility as well. I want more horsepower from my light. I want more horsepower from all my lights.

On the flip side - for an EDC carry light on my Beretta 92 - I think the TLR-9 will be assuming that role for sure. Comfort and concealability will increase, and at close ranges there's plenty of target illumination, and I won't be trying to gain compliance in any situation I'm likely to face as a regular ol dude with my weapon light.

The other thing my testing revealed to me - we're spoiled with today's lights. My EDC flashlight / primary work light these days is a Fenix PD35 V3 - in Turbo (high) mode it's a 1,700 lumen, 31,000 candela light that also has 5/100, 50/1000, 150/3000, and 600/11,700 lumen / candela modes. 20 years ago we creamed our pants for 60 lumen lights. That 1700 / 31,000 mode let me see the red target center at 100 yards from my porch. It really lights up the area and is actually painful to even temporarily look at. I have a Thyrm SwitchBack installed on that light - so if I need more light than the weapon light puts out, I have it, and I can use THAT light AND have a two handed master grip on my pistol at the same time. More lumens and more candela are almost always better.

Another thought I have - Streamlight or a third party needs to design a new bezel piece for the TLR-1HL - a bit longer, with a tighter beam (thus higher candela) to compete with the X300 Turbo.
    Texas SOT

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Great review!

Now though, there seems to be some 'anti-light mounted on the pistol folk' out there.

I just watched a pistol video with 2 hosts that were showing all the different ways a handheld, button end energized small flashlight could be utilized with nary a word mentioned regarding pistol mounted lights.

I don't know if the 'gun world' is fickle or gun things fall out of fashion just like apparel or what?

In addition, there was not one mention on being restricted to 'one hand' shooting if you use a light in one hand and the other to aim your pistol...

On another gun video, one of the hosts said something along the lines that if you light someone up using the light on your pistol you be could be in 'deep legal doo'.

WTH?

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Great review!

Now though, there seems to be some 'anti-light mounted on the pistol folk' out there.

I just watched a pistol video with 2 hosts that were showing all the different ways a handheld, button end energized small flashlight could be utilized with nary a word mentioned regarding pistol mounted lights.

I don't know if the 'gun world' is fickle or gun things fall out of fashion just like apparel or what?

In addition, there was not one mention on being restricted to 'one hand' shooting if you use a light in one hand and the other to aim your pistol...

On another gun video, one of the hosts said something along the lines that if you light someone up using the light on your pistol you be could be in 'deep legal doo'.

WTH?

Pistol mounted lights aren't a primary light - which is probably what the guy in the video mentioned. In addition to the pistol light - I carry a 1700-lumen, 31,000 candela hand held light with a Thyrm SwitchBack installed on it. That light goes everywhere with me anymore - its my primary working flashlight at work as Chim Chim the hospital security monkey, and the SwitchBack has a beefy pocket clip that holds well.

The SwitchBack allows one to utilize two handed grip on one's pistol *and* use one of the tacticool tail cap switching lights. The particular light I'm carrying these days - a Fenix PD35V3 - is a little difficult to activate sometimes with that particular style - the switch is a bit stiff but it does work.

Having a hand held white light is important in my opinion - so you *don't* wind up using your gun as a flashlight. You *could* wind up in deep legal doo doo, as it were, if you are pointing a gun recklessly about, or you are pointing a gun at someone you have no justifiable reason to be pointing at.

In my uses at work - this time as Chim Chim the school security monkey (hospital is unarmed, school is armed work) - if I'm utilizing my weapon light, its during a building search, which would mean I'm hunting for a known or suspected intruder. If I come across someone during such a search, its reasonable that someone I might point a gun mounted light would have a reason to have a gun pointed at them.

At home as Sasquatch the domestic bigfoot, if I'm using my weapon mounted light, its to illuminate suspicious noises in the house or more likely outside. Probably animals, but could be tweakers. Definitely trespassers, as the only two legit entrances to my property are a minimum of 100 yards away from my porch, so if I'm hearing stuff, or the security lights on the house are popping on (and not just the ones at the gate) again, someone or something is trespassing.

For me a weapon light is for the times I know I have reason to be pointing a gun to inspect something, or I've already ID'd with a white light and I'm going to guns and want to keep them illuminated.

Ultimately though - there are so many knee knocking pants wetters out there who will talk tough about using their guns to protect themselves and fight tyranny, but will go full Fudd at the notion of something like a gun mounted white light, a red dot sight, or other modifications that make ID'ing the target and putting bullets into it when necessary easier. They probably drink Bud Light from Target and carry without a round in the chamber, too.

Top Bottom