• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ohhrico1969

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Tomball
    I am thinking of buying a stun baton for walking in the evening with my wife and my dog in the case of any stray dog attacks. I was considering a Ruger LCP, but someone suggested this less lethal option because it was "enough" to scare away dogs from my dog. My concern is pit bulls and such, which seem to have an ability to ignore pain. Thoughts?
    Texas SOT

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've never used a stun baton. They look a little gimmicky to me, but that might not mean they are bad... Pepper spray works good on dogs and other animals. Couple that with a normal walking stick and I'd feel adequately armed against a dog attack.

Then again I'm not afraid of pit bulls like everyone else seems to be A 100lb Akita or Mastiff that wasn't raised right, sure... but a 40lb pit? nah...

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I am thinking of buying a stun baton for walking in the evening with my wife and my dog in the case of any stray dog attacks. I was considering a Ruger LCP, but someone suggested this less lethal option because it was "enough" to scare away dogs from my dog. My concern is pit bulls and such, which seem to have an ability to ignore pain. Thoughts?

Amazon.com: Cold Steel City Stick Fiberglass Handle, 37.63-Inch: Sports & Outdoors

I've seen a video of this thing in action.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Can't promise it'll work on every dog but I've run across a few in my neighborhood. I stand upright and yell at them and they either leave or keep their distance. They know if you fear them. Otherwise I would think a stun baton with lcp as a backup would be more than suffice. Just don't go for lcp too quickly - last resort.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Oh, also keep in mind a stun baton is a pain compliance tool so if you're worried about a varmint (2 or 4 legged) fighting through pain, then it's not much better than a good stick.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    I used to run a rough little bar on the south side of SA and carried a stun baton. It used 4AAA batts and the one time I used it I the only disappointment I had was having to mop the floor because a 6'3" drunk pissed all over. Pretty impressive.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I'd rather keep objects further. Go with a good pepper foam/spray with a cone spray. Anything closer and still aggressive causing me concern or fear of life would leave other options.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I was going to buy an ASP baton but the seller warned me that carrying it outside would cause legal problems. Don't know for sure about the legalities but that's what the seller said.

I have a CHL but when I ride my bike in our rural area, I don't carry my ID's and I leave the pistol at home. It's the only time I go unarmed. I have military dog tags on me in case I get in a wreck but the CHL is at home. My sweat would turn a pistol into a lump of coal so it's just as well that my ID's and the piece are at home!

When I walk Jake, we go to the park and I carry a Ruger LCP and a KaneMaster cane in Hickory or Oak. That is some serious ass whipping on a stick and I highly recommend it. What's even better is that NO ONE will question an old fart like me carrying a cane and I can take it anywhere!

Flash

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I've never lived in a neighborhood that didn't have dog problems, and I'm 26, so I have a bit to say on the subject...

I don't trust "Stun" anything. I've been hit several times by a few different stun devices (my friends and I used to zap each other for fun as teens). All they do is hurt like a bitch and really piss you off. The baton might also be a considered a club, which is illegal. Also, the prongs might not even make it through thick dog hair.

I have the City Stick. It is good for what it is, but the tapered shape makes its balance pretty terrible. It's either too light or too heavy, depending on how it's held. Obviously it also needs a fair amount of space to be wielded in an effective manner. I have mine in case I absolutely have to take a plane trip. Otherwise I let my dad borrow it.

Dazers are cool, but only work on dogs with pointy ears, without too much hair in them, who are relatively close. When they work you'll know it, though. Dogs hate that sound!

I say get the LCP and a can of Sabre pepper spray (Academy has it for cheap). You'll have an excellent less-than-lethal defense (which is legal), as well as the ability to step it up to lethal force if you have too. Actually, I wouldn't want to shoot a mad-dog with anything less than a PF9, but that's just me...

ohhrico1969

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    Tomball
    Seems most would not recommend the stun option. I was talking to a friend today and he told me to consider a 9mm compact. He suggested the sig p250. It only cost a few bucks more than the LCP with more fire power and the ability to "modulate" to a sub compact. I love Sigs but have heard mixed reviews on this model. Price was a consideration because this will only by a BUG for those evenings walking and wanted something lightweight to protect me and the missus and Harley the puppy! This will not be my primary carry. I have an FNP for that. Thoughts?

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Age_of_ascension_pain_sticks.jpg

makes me think of these... incidentally...

funny-celebrity-pictures-kinky-troi.jpg

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    I'd rather keep objects further. Go with a good pepper foam/spray with a cone spray. Anything closer and still aggressive causing me concern or fear of life would leave other options.
    I keep a can of Fox mean green in the jeep, bought a few of em., and the dogs popped a car by chewing on it, when I cleaned it up I was hurting like gasoline in the eyes...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom