• ...and so much more!
  • mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Since the season began, I've been having difficulty getting my lawnmower to start and then stay running.
    I narrowed it down to fuel delivery.

I've been tinkering with small 2 and 4 stroke engines since I was a kid.
    They aren't supposed to be complicated, but they are trending that direction.

Do some checking and there is solenoid attached to the bowl of the carb. WTH

Normal operation:
    When key is on, the plunger retracts and allows fuel to flow to the main jet.
    Key off, plunger extends, blocking the flow of fuel.

The reason for the fuel shut-off solenoid is to eliminate back-fires and the potential to flood the motor with fuel after it's shutdown.
    Really?

I thoroughly clean test the plunger and it works intermittently.
    Time for a new one ... $130 !!!! :banghead:

Google it and apparently this item is considered a consumable, sort of like a spark plug ... $130 spark plug

I was already trying to figure out how to rid my mower of this evil addition when Google shows numerous ways to bypass, alter or eliminate it altogether.

I chose elimination.

A $12 bowl gasket kit gives me the gaskets I already needed after carb removal plus a new bowl with a bolt to hold the bowl in place instead of the solenoid housing.
    I also added a fuel shut-off valve for those times when I over-fill the gas tank. I typically try and run just enough fuel to mow the yard so that any kind of stuck needle valve won't flood the engine with fuel.

Been using carb cleaner as starting fluid to get it start and finally run. She lit off after just breathing on the starter.
    ARJ Defense ad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I hate working on lawnmowers... I can wrench on cars, trucks, ATVs all day long, but I've had things like that drive me nuts.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I had a chainsaw that I smashed with a hammer so I would quit trying to fix it. Small engines can be frustrating, especially when they are low end to begin with.

My wife did the same to an electric weed wacker.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Replace it with a $5 manual valve and hope it does not have an onboard computer waiting on feedback from the electric valve. I am guessing it is there as some kind of safety device.

My lawnmowers name is Juan..lol

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I like the Sterling approach.
    Shoot it till it changes shape or catches fire.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The root of all problems with lawn equipment is the Ethanol in gasoline the EPA shoved up our A$$es.

My local hardware store (I think it is a True Value) sells a product that is miraculous in solving small engine problems: "Blaster Lawn Mower Tune-Up."

Follow the instructions precisely as printed on the can, and be patient.

This stuff works really well with equipment that has sat idle for several months.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Weedeaters are what I hate I have a pile of them in my garage. I buy a new one almost every 2 years and yeah ive javelin thrown a couple of them. On the bright side whenever I need a part I just go to the pile.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    We used to cut the automotive fuel filters open and examine the crap that is caught and collected from our "regular" fuel. It's really appalling! Try a new red (gravity feed) inline filter and be sure to check the can that you're using to fill it with. If the can is full of foreign material, it will keep trashing your carb.

The fuel shutoff solenoid works very well. I had a mower that did not have that valve and it fired a salute every time I shut it off!

Flash

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I just bought a new carb from amazon my lawnmower sat about 5years and that ethanol turned to varnish carb cleaner didn't work

Top Bottom