Suggestion for shop for reloading equiptment

Discussion in 'Austin' started by bowzette, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I disagree with this statement.

Get a good manual and read it. Then read it again.

After that watch videos.

BubbaJon and pronstar like this.
  2. pronstar

pronstar Well-Known TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Any idiot with an iPhone can make a video...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Vaquero and BubbaJon like this.
  3. BubbaJon

BubbaJon Active Member

Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Academy and Cabelas both carry reloading equipment.
    As mentioned get a manual and read it - I know you said you used to do it but a refresher won't hurt.
    McBrides has most stuff and you can eyeball it and buy off Amazon or many other online stores.
    Unless you know you're going high volume I would not consider Dillon - very pricey stuff and you'll find out quickly that you need to accessorize to get the best out of it = more $$$.
    You'll do just fine with a Lee C or U single station press or even their 4 station turret.
    You can get a cheap digital scale from Amazon or McBrides that measures in grains - I've used mine for years and it has proven accurate and repeatable.

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ar...OHNA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512313480&sr=8-3

4. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban Staff Member Admin

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    I admire the idea of local. I spent decades supporting local shops. Then, one changed hands and the new owner acts like my presence is a burden. The other went internet, moved to a warehouse and quit carrying reloading supplies.

Midway, Cabelas, Brownells,....
    Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

5. JWBost

JWBost New Member

Dec 24, 2017
    Austin
    There are no good deals for reloading supplies or equipment in the Austin area. Not for equipment or components.

McBrides is quite high. Cableas and Bass Pro are high, although Cabelas has pretty decent sales every now and then. I bought my tumbler, scale, and 50,000 Berrys bullets from them when they were on at $63/1000 9mm after tax.

Gander Mountain in RR...I’m glad those guys went out of business.

Last I saw at Academy, they have 100 primers for $3.99 plus tax. I’ve never seen presses at Academy.

On top of the high prices, there’s also the sales tax, which you don’t have to pay if you order from an out of state vendor (and best if they offer free shipping).

6. avvidclif

avvidclif Active Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Start by telling us what you are going to reload and the amount you are thinking about loading. That will determine my suggestions. Pistol or rifle is the biggest difference.

7. irish66

irish66 New Member

Feb 17, 2018
    New braunfels, tx
    The dillon is ok for pistol works great for 38,45,44. Do not like it for rifle.
    Use 5 different single stage, for different calibers.
    Most i have found at local gun range. Or midway. Even champions choice.
    Electronic scale is a must for accurate rifle.

Attached Files:

8. orbitup

orbitup Sticker Cop TGT Supporter

Nov 6, 2010
    South of Dallas
    I disagree. Dump and trickle with a good beam scale is sometimes better.

9. Mrvmax

Mrvmax Member

Jan 20, 2018
    Friendswood
    Not sure how you can make that blanket statement without knowing his exact loading requirements. What if he only loads rifle calibers in small quantities? What if he loads multiple rifle calibers in small quantities? Would a Dillon progressive be the best choice? I doubt it, a turret press would work better. If he’s loading volumes of the same caliber I would agree on Dillon but there are other good options.
    For the OP, reading up online will be much better than relying on the guys at the store. You may run across someone with experience but you may not. You could also join cast boolits forum to look for some good used loading equipment.

10. Deavis

Deavis Active Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Visit some reloaders and use their equipment before you decide. You are welcome to stop by my shop and play with what I have and compare.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk