• SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Storing guns behind the firing line, especially at a public range, is generally not a good idea. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people try to do this, or try to uncase guns back behind the line, and they end up sweeping everyone on the line. At one point some dude did this with a loaded .270 bolt gun, cased his gun behind the line, negligently and inadvertently pulled the trigger, fired a round down the firing line, through the trash can, ricocheted back and I believe hit the opposite end of the firing line. Thankfully this was 3-4 feet back from the firing line, indoor range, and no one was hurt due to pure dumb luck. I find that the average person is, unfortunately, way too unsafe to allow handling of or storing firearms back behind the firing line. As long as there is room to do so, I usually recommend people store their stuff on the shooting bench, on the ground at their feet, or anywhere else right at the firing line if possible. Sometimes it's not possible, and that's cool, it just means you have to be that much more focused on safety and make sure you don't become complacent. I'm just speaking generally here about all of us.
    Lynx Defense

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'll talk to 'em.
    I've been in a couple of times since I posted this and I haven't brought up the topic with the management because I've taken a really good look at the situation. The right-side range, where rifles are usually relegated, has the deeper, wider lanes with the textured side walls. If your rifle has a rubber butt pad, it should lean again the firing point dividers with no problem. If you have multiple rifles, you can lay them flat on the cart, directly under the bench, safely pointed downrange. Either way, you have control of your own rifles within reach of your own arms.

Putting a rifle rack on the back wall is a bad idea for several reasons already covered in this thread. Putting pegs in the walls or small rifle racks attached to the firing point dividers would just give someone something to trip over and/or break. (I know I'm clumsy enough to screw up a situation like that.)

If I ever feel the need to bring more than one rifle to SGA, I think I'll just bring a pad to put on top of the carts. That way, I could lay down a half-dozen rifles, all pointed safely downrange, and never have to turn my back on them and worry about someone walking away with one.

As it is, I think they've got the place laid out about the best way they can. I realize opinions on this will differ but the only people who would really benefit from installed rifle racks are the folks who bring multiple rifles and, frankly, I've been in the place probably 100 times but seen that situation only once or twice.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I can only hope, then, that everyone in that section is as carefully organized as you would be. I've witnessed at least one example where someone wasn't. Just to be clear, I'm not saying SGA is at fault if someone improperly secures a rifle, or any weapon for that matter. That responsibility is always with the person who is using it. I do, however, think it's best to do everything feasible to save people from their own carelessness, or that of others. Also, it doesn't have to be a case where someone has more than one rifle; if you bring a handgun and a rifle then you'll still need to find a way to safely stow the rifle when it's not being used. Next time I'm there, I'll look and see how many people with rifles are using the carts the way you describe.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Also, it doesn't have to be a case where someone has more than one rifle; if you bring a handgun and a rifle then you'll still need to find a way to safely stow the rifle when it's not being used. Next time I'm there, I'll look and see how many people with rifles are using the carts the way you describe.
    I'll keep an eye out, too. Like I said, I've almost never seen more than one rifle per user but one rifle plus multiple pistols certainly seems likely.

I'm afraid we'll both be disappointed, though. In my experience, anyone who can screw up will screw up when it comes to gunhandling at public ranges. Rest assured, though, that if I see people screwing up, I won't hesitate to directly express my concerns to the owner.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    BTW... if you aren't already, keep an eye on the Houston area local sub-forum. It's getting to be about time for another meetup, I think.

SgtBrummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    BTW... if you aren't already, keep an eye on the Houston area local sub-forum. It's getting to be about time for another meetup, I think.

How often do y'all meet? Id like to make it to one but have a busy schedule til end of may.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'll keep an eye out, too.

Saw a guy in there today with one rifle. He could have put it on the cart, pointed downrange. He could have leaned it against the side wall of his stall. He could have kept it in his hands.

Instead, he put it on top of the built-in shelf, just about the least secure place to put it. At least it was pointed downrange.

Even if there were racks in each stall, I doubt they'd get used. People just don't think.

I'm going to suggest to the owner that he install U-racks to hold rifles horizontally at each station on the right-side range. It seems like they need something that non-subtly screams at the average yahoo "Hey! Put your rifle HERE!"

Of course, that would make for a protrusion from the wall and somebody would surely bang their head against it, so if they don't take me up on my suggestion, I can't really blame them.

Top Bottom