• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    For the hogs, I used the Hornady's 150gr SSTs, which worked very well. Now, I have an opportunity in the near future to hunt deer. I'm not married to Hornady, but I only hear good things about this factory made bullet. So for my LR-308, I was looking at the 308 Win 168 gr BTHP Match or maybe 308 Win 168 gr A-Max Match. (Not really sure the difference or dis/advantages of either one)... Since this is a Semi-Auto rifle, I'm not able to use Light Mags.

armadillo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    TX
    Just about any .30 cal 150 gr. (except FMJ) will work for Texas deer.

The SST and similar bullets are made for controlled expansion in hunting conditions. Bullets made for target shooting may not expand, or expand too quickly on game.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Hornady's .308 Match is designed for a bolt-rifle, and is hot for a .308 load. I wouldn't put it in a semi-auto.

The SST is essentially an A-Max Match bullet with a cannelure, they probably take the failures from the A-Max run and roll the cannelure in them and call it the SST. They shoot pretty damn well.

For Texas deer, if you just want to save money you can use a 150 gr. Soft-Point all day. There's little need for much else for a scraggly whitetail.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Just about any .30 cal 150 gr. (except FMJ) will work for Texas deer.

FMJ would work fine for hogs and deer. You'd have to place the shot in the shoulder or the head. If you break the front shoulder(s) you can follow up with a second shot as the deer will just plow.

It's more ethical in my opinion to use something that is more suited, like an expanding munition.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    For Texas deer, if you just want to save money you can use a 150 gr. Soft-Point all day.

+1...Soft points (Winchester, Remington, Federal, etc.) have always worked great for me. Deer or Hogs.

shellshook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Austin
    I suspected as much on the 150 grain. I bought some Federal blue box stuff from Academy for $15ish a box. Figured it wouldn't be the best load, but for Texas deer, it shoud be ok. Thanks all. I'll try it out in a couple of weeks.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Hornady's .308 Match is designed for a bolt-rifle, and is hot for a .308 load. I wouldn't put it in a semi-auto.

The SST is essentially an A-Max Match bullet with a cannelure, they probably take the failures from the A-Max run and roll the cannelure in them and call it the SST. They shoot pretty damn well.

For Texas deer, if you just want to save money you can use a 150 gr. Soft-Point all day. There's little need for much else for a scraggly whitetail.

Good to know... I'll plan on using the 150gr SSTs for Hogs and Deer. I thought the SSTs were geared more Larger or thick skin animals, but looks like a winner for more medium game. I would like to get my hands on the GMX and test them out, 95% copper 5% zinc.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I personally would not use any bullet that says match for hunting deer size game. They are designed for exactly what there name implies, punching holes in paper. The jackets are too thin for reliable expansion. You will have plenty of people tell you that you can use them or FMJ's, buy why would you? Maybe in the perfect situation, with a completely broadside shot at 50 yards, yes, they will probably work. I dont know about you, but probably does not enter my vocabulary when it comes to respecting the animal you are hunting.

I dont buy factory ammo but the qualitly is much better that it used to be and they are loading premium bullets designed for hunting game. With the exception of my varmint rifles, I load only two bullets, the Nosler Accubond and the Swift Scirocco. They both have unbeatable performance on hogs, deer, and elk. And they are both available in 308 factory. The GMX is supposed to be a good bullet, but I will wait for bit until is gets more feedback.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Federal offers loads with the Barnes triple shock X bullet its supposed to be very very good but I've never used it. I personally just use the plain ole Remington core-lockt or I have some reloads that are bronze tip remington bullets that work great.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    The Barnes BULLETS in sell for something like a dollar per.

They look cool, but there has got to be something more efficient.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way

They aren't quite that high ,about .70 per bullet but everything I've red says they are worth it.I will find out before too long cause I'mm gonna load some for either my .30-06 or my dads 7mm Rem Mag.

c_m_shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Paradise
    Any soft point out of a .308 will be more than enough for any deer. Whatever you have been using for hogs will be fine, plus you already have confidence in it.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

They are very good bullets. I'd use them for dangerous game and things like that, but for a whitetail and in a .308 they are a bit of a waste.

Honestly, a .308 is already overkill ... so just about anything will work just fine. The 6mm-08, aka .243 Win, has no trouble with deer. Neither does .223 Remington. It's all shot placement and the rest is extra.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    The Barnes bullets are really good bullets, but they are just too well put together to be used on most whitetails, unless you are talking about the big northern animals. I personally started loading the X bullets about 10 years ago because I had a ballistic tip come apart, so I thought I would load something heavier. They just didnt open up on whitetails worth a crap, looked more like a FMJ, so I went to the Nosler partitian until the Accubond came out.

The .308 is a great deer cartridge, just use any good quality bullet and you will be fine.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Forget the match bullets, get some decent hunting bullets and you'll be good. Factory-loaded should be fine.

I haven't seen a problem with the A-Max match in the LR-308. InnocentBystander shot a 2" group at 300 yards with 168 grain factory-loads in his 18" bull barreled LR-308.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    Forget the match bullets, get some decent hunting bullets and you'll be good. Factory-loaded should be fine.

I haven't seen a problem with the A-Max match in the LR-308. My InnocentBystander shot a 2" group at 300 yards with 168 grain factory-loads in his 18" bull barreled LR-308.

Not to schabby...

I plan on sticking with the SSTs... That factory load seems to be a proven bullet with great reviews. Plus, I have 2 boxes sitting in the safe.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Shooting what you already have is always a great idea.

I could reload for my 7mm rem mag, but I have something like 3 boxes from before. I'll spend that money when I have to.

Top Bottom