Suggestions on ammo for deer?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by ConnRadd, Oct 18, 2009.

1. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

For the hogs, I used the Hornady's 150gr SSTs, which worked very well. Now, I have an opportunity in the near future to hunt deer. I'm not married to Hornady, but I only hear good things about this factory made bullet. So for my LR-308, I was looking at the 308 Win 168 gr BTHP Match or maybe 308 Win 168 gr A-Max Match. (Not really sure the difference or dis/advantages of either one)... Since this is a Semi-Auto rifle, I'm not able to use Light Mags.

2. shellshook

shellshook Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Austin
    I have an LR308 and am also curious about ammo selection for hunting?

3. armadillo

armadillo Member

Sep 15, 2009
    TX
    Just about any .30 cal 150 gr. (except FMJ) will work for Texas deer.

The SST and similar bullets are made for controlled expansion in hunting conditions. Bullets made for target shooting may not expand, or expand too quickly on game.

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Hornady's .308 Match is designed for a bolt-rifle, and is hot for a .308 load. I wouldn't put it in a semi-auto.

The SST is essentially an A-Max Match bullet with a cannelure, they probably take the failures from the A-Max run and roll the cannelure in them and call it the SST. They shoot pretty damn well.

For Texas deer, if you just want to save money you can use a 150 gr. Soft-Point all day. There's little need for much else for a scraggly whitetail.

5. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    FMJ would work fine for hogs and deer. You'd have to place the shot in the shoulder or the head. If you break the front shoulder(s) you can follow up with a second shot as the deer will just plow.

It's more ethical in my opinion to use something that is more suited, like an expanding munition.

6. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    +1...Soft points (Winchester, Remington, Federal, etc.) have always worked great for me. Deer or Hogs.:2cents:

7. shellshook

shellshook Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Austin
    I suspected as much on the 150 grain. I bought some Federal blue box stuff from Academy for $15ish a box. Figured it wouldn't be the best load, but for Texas deer, it shoud be ok. Thanks all. I'll try it out in a couple of weeks.

8. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    Shoot anything that doesn't say "varmint" on it will probably work pretty well.

9. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

Good to know... I'll plan on using the 150gr SSTs for Hogs and Deer. I thought the SSTs were geared more Larger or thick skin animals, but looks like a winner for more medium game. I would like to get my hands on the GMX and test them out, 95% copper 5% zinc.

10. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Active Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    The same bullet you've been using on hogs will work just fine for deer. I load the 165 gr SST up for my rifle and use it exclusively for both critters.