• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've had Foscam cameras for about 5 years now. They aren't amazing, but do what I want them to. The night vision is inadequate outdoors, but I have exterior lighting so it's not really an issue. The new ones are probably better.

My mom got a chinesium one and has had nothing but problems with it...
    Gun Zone Deals

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    If you want wireless, make sure it is really wireless. Alot of manufacturers advertise as wireless but then still require you to run a power cable. If you find one that is truly wireless, then take a look at the battery life. I think you will be less than impressed. If you find one with excellent battery life, then take a look at what definition it records in and at what frame rate. I cannot emphasize enough how much a wireless system is not worth it. Take the few hours it takes to run a CAT5 or 6 cable and do it right. You will be much happier in the long run, I promise.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    If you want wireless, make sure it is really wireless. Alot of manufacturers advertise as wireless but then still require you to run a power cable. If you find one that is truly wireless, then take a look at the battery life. I think you will be less than impressed. If you find one with excellent battery life, then take a look at what definition it records in and at what frame rate. I cannot emphasize enough how much a wireless system is not worth it. Take the few hours it takes to run a CAT5 or 6 cable and do it right. You will be much happier in the long run, I promise.
    I can not run cables for it in my apt. If I had a house I would not go wireless and it uses a plug not batteries

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I like the wire free design, but don't like cloud storage. Do the email alerts include pictures or video as attachments? Is there an option to store locally?
    The email alert does include a snapshot. You can save a video locally anytime before the 7 days is up. And I think the Pro 2 allows direct local recording, but I have not looked that closely yet.

Screenshot_20171127-183419.png

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

You really have to set up a wireless system differently than a wired one, for sure. I get 3 to 5 months out of my batteries, but before I turned one camera away from pointing at the street I was only getting abut 45 days.

Arlo now has the pro 2 where you can run power to it and record continually. One could set up a hybrid system where you can run power to cameras where it is easy enough to get power to.

But, if I could get cable run I'd prefer wired, for sure.

And FWIW, I haven't experienced any of the downfalls mentioned for wireless cameras.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

NavyVet1959

Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    If it uses solar to charge the batteries, check out what the batteries are. If it uses NiCd batteries, I would definitely avoid it. The solar landscape lights used those and they never seemed to survive that long for me.

One advantage of a wired system is that you can use relays in combination with a micro-controller board (e.g. Arduino) and a bit of code to allow the system to handle more cameras than it was originally designed for. For example, let's say that the system you choose only supports 4 cameras, but you want to place more than that around your property. You could even have an IR some other type of motion / perimeter warning sensor installed near the camera to tell you that you needed to pay attention to that particular zone / start recording it. You would need to run wires from all the cameras and motion sensors to your Arduino device and the code would be constantly polling each of the motion sensors to see if something "interesting" was occurring. If so, then it would activate the relay associated with that camera so that it could be fed into the DVR.

NavyVet1959

Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2014
    Texas, ya'll
    I thought lithium polymer were the fire starters.

Both can do it... Most people do not have the batteries causing fires, but every once in awhile, you end up with a case of someone charging their cell phone with it sitting on a bed and it causing a major house fire.

I recently read an article that was about making a neater living area and one of their suggestions was to take a drawer in your dresser, install a power strip in it, and put all your devices and chargers in there so that they could recharge out of sight. From a possible fire prevention standpoint, I'm not so certain that would be a good idea. Normally, my cell phones or tablets are charged on a granite surface, so that even if there is a fire, it should not catch the surrounding surface on fire.

Top Bottom