• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    I have a rifle that needs either a muzzle brake or to be magna-ported before I shoot it... What are your thoughts Pro/Con about either. I am only interested in shoot-ability. Increased noise/blast is a non-issue as far as I am concerned. Looking for the best set up for reduction in felt recoil, without a compromise to accuracy. Also, I would like names of gunsmiths you are happy with to have something like this done. I live near Austin, so central Texas smiths would work best for me. Thanks for your time and help. MG
    Guns International

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Isn't all the magna-port do is controll muzzle climb. Also I would think that any smith that threads barrels could out a brake on.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    dee "magna-port" is actually a "brake" that is cut into the barrel itself... depending on the location and angle of the cut, provides some compensation against recoil or climb. I'm really looking for input from those who have either, and their thoughts before I have it done. Thanks, MG

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I do not have any rifles with muzzle breaks but I have shot several that were put on custom rifles. In my opinion, it didnt really reduce felt recoil all that much but they did keep the muzzle climb down a bit. I just wasnt as impressed with them as I thought I would be, therefore I never thought about having any installed. Since you live near Austin, check out Hill Country Rifles, they should be able to help you with either one.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A Miculek style brake works the best of all the various methods I've shot. It makes a .308 feel like a .243, and takes out alot of the muzzle walk.

Magnaporting doesn't do much from my experience.

rr2241tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    San Marcos
    My nephew is quite happy with Hill Country Rifles' work in New Braunfels. Seems like they turn pretty quickly on muzzle brakes. Work looks good. Wouldn't have one on my gun, but that's just my 2 cents.

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    "A Miculek style brake works the best of all the various methods I've shot. It makes a .308 feel like a .243, and takes out alot of the muzzle walk." per Texas1911

I've made prototype muzzle brakes for a few of my rifles, and have to agree with Texas1911, the Miculek style brakes work the best. It does the best with muzzle control and felt recoil.
    [URL]http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=1641[/URL]

One that I made, looked alot like the muzzle brakes on Barret 82A1 that do direct most of the gases rearward and really, really do reduce recoil, but man, it increases noise for the shooter alot.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    A good brake can make a huge difference.

As an alternative, see if Blackhawk sells a Knoxx recoil-reducing stock for it. Rifle Stocks - BLACKHAWK! I've tried Knoxx stocks on shotguns and they make a huge difference! Just don't use a real short eye-relief scope, because the action does move back toward you in the stock. :p

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I have brakes on a 30/06 and a 300 WM and they work really well for reducing felt recoil. They do increase the blast noise to the sides of the shooter,so be courteous if shooting at a range with other shooters. And by all means wear good hearing protection whenever shooting a gun with a brake if you want to continue living with any amount of hearing.

Rem19036.gif

RugerNo13.gif

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you must have a brake, get one you can take off. Once you magna port the barrel, the only way to get rid of it is to change barrels, or get it cut off.

With a threaded brake, or suppressor, you can always remove it easily, and put a thread protector on if you don't like the performance.

What are you shooting that you need a brake for?

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    I have brakes on a 30/06 and a 300 WM and they work really well for reducing felt recoil. They do increase the blast noise to the sides of the shooter,so be courteous if shooting at a range with other shooters. And by all means wear good hearing protection whenever shooting a gun with a brake if you want to continue living with any amount of hearing.

A Boss Accurizer was one of the reasons for some hearing loss in my left ear. A guy that I shot with regularly bought a rifle with one of these on it, and when the all clear at the range was given, I hadnt had a chance to put my muffs back on and he squeezed off a round before I had them on fully. I was about 2 foot from the muzzle when it happened. The rest of the story I will not tell, but believe me, there were tears involved...

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Revrend, The rifle is a Weatherby in .300 Weatherby Magnum. From what I gather, somewhat uncomfortable to shoot one round, let alone a box of shells. But it has impressive numbers down range. I was looking at a .338 but can't justify the $$$ they want for the Lupa round. Looking for something to fill the gap between the .30-06 and the .50 BMG. MG

Top Bottom