• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Representative Oliverson will be at the TSRA/TSRAPAC booth on Saturday at 2 PM (main entrance) to tell us whats going on with this bill and what he thinks is next. Hope to see y'all there!

The bill passed, last I saw Paxton finally sought a declaratory judgement for two individuals.

Has that case been argued yet?

ETA: a copy of the filing is available at https://www.texasattorneygeneral.go...images/executive-management/Lawsuit BATFE.pdf

I’ll try to look the docket up in PACER tonight.

Last edited:

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    There have been several petitions to seek a declaratory judgment on suppressors, I guess this is the first to actually make it to court? I have been keeping my eye out to see when a case actually went to court, lets see how this one plays out, hopefully in our favor.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I'm pretty sure we have two examples that if you do not abide by the ATFs laws (without being passed by a legislature) you will be dealt with in a way they feel appropriate. No state law will override the Federal Bureaucracy and I'll believe it when I see it.

Ask yourself is it worth it to be the one to stand up without an army behind you? This state law is political posturing. Until the COTUS passes laws limiting the BATFE bureaucratic authority it's irrelevant what each state passes.

If Paxton, Oliverson, or other state officials believe so faithfully in their law then they can buy an in state Texas suppressor without a stamp, advertise that they have, and see what the results are.

1653346792497.png

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    There have been several petitions to seek a declaratory judgment on suppressors, I guess this is the first to actually make it to court? I have been keeping my eye out to see when a case actually went to court, lets see how this one plays out, hopefully in our favor.

The suit I linked earlier has mostly been procedural maneuvering so far however the amended brief in response to the ATF’s motion to dismiss included some interesting comments

…Plaintiffs have split their NFA claim into three separate counts. In Count I, they challenge the requirement that Texans must apply for and receive permission to make a firearm suppressor for personal use in Texas. In Count II, they challenge the requirement that Texans pay a $200 tax on making firearm suppressors for personal use in Texas. In Count III, they challenge the requirement that Texans register and place a serial number on firearm suppressors made in Texas for personal use in Texas.
    Finally, Plaintiffs also amended their lawsuit to add the following new allegation: Shortly after Plaintiffs filed this suit, BATFE denied 850 applications to make firearm suppressors, and demanded additional information not required to be submitted by any statute, rule, or application form from thousands of persons with applications to make suppressors pending on pain of denial of the applications. This request for additional information arguably requires applicants to incriminate themselves by disclosing the possession of parts intended to be assembled into a firearm suppressor. Under BATFE’s interpretation of the NFA, such parts are themselves firearms suppressors for which an individual application and tax would be required.
    In the understanding that BATFE may wish to file a new motion to dismiss against Plaintiffs’ Amended Complaint, Plaintiffs hereby respond to BATFE’s motion to dismiss.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Ask yourself is it worth it to be the one to stand up without an army behind you?
    Sad that you are right. Since I have a machine shop at my disposal, some friends suggested this last weekend that I make a can. I'd like to, but don't have an army handy. This has to be the most idiotic NFA thing ever. I had slim hopes that the hearing protection act would go through, and I wasn't surprised it didn't.

AndiTurner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2021
    Bastrop County
    I'm pretty sure we have two examples that if you do not abide by the ATFs laws (without being passed by a legislature) you will be dealt with in a way they feel appropriate. No state law will override the Federal Bureaucracy and I'll believe it when I see it.

Ask yourself is it worth it to be the one to stand up without an army behind you? This state law is political posturing. Until the COTUS passes laws limiting the BATFE bureaucratic authority it's irrelevant what each state passes.

If Paxton, Oliverson, or other state officials believe so faithfully in their law then they can buy an in state Texas suppressor without a stamp, advertise that they have, and see what the results are.

View attachment 321325
    The bill REQUIRES a declaratory judgement and even if they wanted to, they couldn't go buy any old suppressor. First the declaratory judgement THEN it must me wholly made in Texas down to the unmachined metal. That doesn't exist to my knowledge at THIS time.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    So your post raises a question for me. First please don't think I pretend to know everything. I don't! I learn by asking questions and listening.

My understanding is that in a sniper situation (longer shots) they make the firearm slightly less accurate. Is this not true?

Any suppressor has the ability to impact precision accuracy, but that can be managed with specific load testing. Where a suppressor really helps a sniper is to mask the flash signature more so than the sound signature, but reducing both those signatures improve sniper survivability.

AndiTurner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2021
    Bastrop County
    Any suppressor has the ability to impact precision accuracy, but that can be managed with specific load testing. Where a suppressor really helps a sniper is to mask the flash signature more so than the sound signature, but reducing both those signatures improve sniper survivability.
    You rock! Thank you for explaining!

Top Bottom