• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I go camping monthly with the Boy Scout Troop I'm involved with. One of the dangers in our activities is lightning. At the last Scout Camp a weather nut there had a lightning strike detector. As storms moved in and out he was able to track strikes and see how the storm was moving and also when it was safe out to 40 miles away.

I can see using this at pools as a life guard, little league and HS foot ball games, outdoor shooting events where weather is questionable, boating, fishing, hiking and biking are some of the thoughts.

Product: Strike Alert II Personal Lightning Detector - Found ebay the least expensive source.

This $60.00 device is the size of a pager. It only has one button and runs off of two AAA batteries. What it does it takes the Doppler effect of the radio frequency put out by the lighting and give an estimate of how close that strike is. As a note it only tracks ground hits, not cloud to cloud.

Today was the first storm I was able to use it with. Seems to work very well. Much better outside the house, it's not really an indoor type, although it does work somewhat.

To read the device is simple. Turn on and hold till it beeps if you want sound. At the same time it indicates battery level. Full charge is 80 hrs.
    Solid green = Monitoring.
    Flashing green Interference = (Mostly from home electronics)
    LEDs light up as it detects strikes.
    Push the button and with enough strikes it'll tell you moving away, or moving towards you by flashing right to left or left to right.
    Press and hold till off.

I hope to use it on trips to tell when storms are on their way, if they are approaching or moving away and how close things are getting to keep scouts safe and make more informed decisions.

Boring video of me outside the house with the detector during a storm.

That said there are better lightning detectors out there that are more accurate and have built in intelligence that seem really awesome. Size and cost were the major draw backs as to why I didn't get one.

ThunderBolt TB-SC1 PRO - $400.00 - $500.00 cost range.

SkyScan Lightning Detector/Storm Detector - $175.00 range
    DK Firearms

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Very interesting. During construction of new de-energized power lines, lighting is a very real danger. An ungrounded conductor will carry a lightning strike for miles. Of course, working up in the air is also a bad place to be in a lightning storm. I will get one of these and do some testing. Thanks for posting.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Very interesting. During construction of new de-energized power lines, lighting is a very real danger. An ungrounded conductor will carry a lightning strike for miles. Of course, working up in the air is also a bad place to be in a lightning storm. I will get one of these and do some testing. Thanks for posting.
    Lines you're working on may cause too much interference. But it'll tell you when there is too much by flashing green.

Edit::: I see you said de-energized.. may work ...

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The de-energized lines (dead circuit) shouldn't cause any interference, they do attract lightning though.

Top Bottom