• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Thanks. This will come in handy sooner than later.

To the right of the shop\barn between the two trees was a set I was going to tear down. Looks like I'd be served by building it up into a coop.

896LAF.jpg

Last edited:

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Do you reckon that it's so top-heavy that it needs to have the legs buried in the ground like a swing set? Or could you put a wheel on each leg & have a chicken tractor - a moveable pen.

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    Do you reckon that it's so top-heavy that it needs to have the legs buried in the ground like a swing set? Or could you put a wheel on each leg & have a chicken tractor - a moveable pen.

Even if it was light it would take quite a few chickens to pull it. Do they even make a harness for chickens lol

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I saw one recently that was all wire. The wire was wrapped around the posts, and had a board at the bottom to prevent digging. It may have had a board on one end, and laying boxes mounted on that.

The one in the article looks really junky. No way my wife would allow that in our yard. I think you could make it look better though. Even painting it using the $10 / gallon screw up paint at Home Depot would look better than that.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Here's another couple that might suit that new yard better.

A good friend of mine is really into urban chicken raising.
    I designed and built half a dozen or so, for her and her friends, of this one down through the years.
    I can make measured drawings from the 3D SketchUp model I used to design it with when/if you get serious about it.
    But most anyone handy with tools could build it just looking at these photo:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111355467778981859077/ChezPouletAustin_Ranchette

Here's a bigger one that I built for her daughter in Elgin (the same lady for whom I built her strawbale home):

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMzBtLGVEel3xv2i2M9ROsoUuCdJrZSqK9iSmsC

I didn't mean to get that involved in building chicken coops in my spare time, but damn, they wouldn't leave me alone....

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I like that the laying boxes are accessible without having to go inside.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I like that the laying boxes are accessible without having to go inside.

Thanks.
    Was raised on a farm, and we had more than our share of poultry.
    Oldest of 5 children, I was always looking to make my chores easier, so tried to use that experience in the design.
    I did enjoy making them, wished now I'd made one for me, but this city will not allow chickens.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone

That's actually a technique for fertilizing the soil and making sure one spot doesn't get too torn up. Let the chickens hang out there a day or two, then move the coop up one spot. They end up benefiting the soil rather than destroying it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    D54G
    Top Bottom