• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I thought I'd pass along some training information on an upcoming class.

Who: Tactical Response
    What: Immediate Action Medical
    When: May 15-16, 2010
    Where: Austin, TX

Full tuition = $450
    Deposit = $225

============================================

Details:
    This course was designed from the ground up to train a person with no prior medical experience on how to keep a victim of a violent crime or terrorst act, like a stabbing, shooting or bombing, alive until an ambulance arrives. This course is narrow in scope and will center on assisting victims of violence.

This class includes training on tactical safety and how to prevent injuries, moral obligations to render aide, legal issues like the Good Samaritan laws, biohazard precautions, the physical and mental effects of adrenaline, the survival principles, communication, trauma kits vs. first aid kits, scene safety, anatomical stopping power, patient movement, assessments, proper ways to stop the top 3 gunfighting injuries (blocked airway, critical blood loss and Tension Pneumothorax) as well as the Mindset, Tactics, Skill and Gear you need to keep someone alive until medical assistance arrives.

Students will participate in and watch other students in multiple practical scenarios where they will be guided and tested on how to provide care under stress.

LINK:
    Tactical Response
    DK Firearms

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    For anyone who thinks "this will never be useful" ... I took a similar class, and came a gnats hair away from using it the next week.
    +eleventybillion... You can never have too much first aid training. If I wasn't saving for a trip, I'd sign up and drag my girlfriend and daughter to this.... Page is bookmarked so I can look out for future classes. Thanks

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    For anyone who thinks "this will never be useful" ... I took a similar class, and came a gnats hair away from using it the next week.

This training would be good for people who are out of reach of the EMS system, hikers, hunters,etc...

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    drjavelina- I asked some students returning to take this class your question and this looked like the most helpful response.

As for medical training in the military, if he was just an average soldier, IAM will blow him away. Common Skills Training that all soldiers underwent when I was in (1996-2000) was over these tasks:

apply a field dressing
    apply a pressure dressing
    apply a tourniquet (as a means of last resort to stop major bleeding/opposite of what is taught now)
    treat for shock

Beyond that, there wasn't much else other than some basic first aid. Prior to going overseas I was taught the nine-line, which is the format used to call for medical evacuation. Provided he was in a unit long enough, he may have had the opportunity to go to Combat Life Saver (CLS), which enabled the soldier to learn some additional skills, the most complex I heard of was to pop an IV. CLS trained soldiers would augment regular medics.

If he was a medic, then I'm not sure what he learned, but it isn't likely that even if he was a medic that he would not find the information useful. I think what sets IAM apart from the military training is that IAM is recent, relevant, and realistic (scenario training especially).

This class is almost full (20 students), so if you are interested in attending you need to get signed up @ TR.

Top Bottom